Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"It's a dry heat..."

Yup! Just like inside a pizza oven!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    This is completely wrong and dangerous mis-information.

You want your sweat to evaporate as quickly as possible. Its the evaporation that cools your body. 105 deg air at 30% relative humidity blowing over a wet surface that is 98.6 will drop the surface temp well below 80 deg. If you are hot, you want your skin covered from sun exposure but as much ventilation as is possible to evaporate your sweat (unless you get too cold).
    Actually, JC, LD Comfort, who are a well known and reputable US manufacturer of cooling and heating gear agree with Pirate. They recommend you do NOT use a mesh jacket over their wet undergear, but use a normal jacket with a couple of vents open for the best cooling effect. I doubt they would leave themselves open to litigation by offering wrong and dangerous misinformation. The jury might still be out on that one.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post

What I'd really like to find is a Camelback bite piece that will slip under a full-face helmet (my Arai helmet is pretty snug). Then I could sip as I go. Other than moving to a 3/4 helmet (Shoei J-Cruise or Arai CTX), anyone have any suggestions here?
    I wear full face helmets, and use a right angled Camelbak bite piece that just manages to slip under the chin area. I do however have to remove any chin skirts on some helmets.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Finally someone mentioned a cooling vest. I am in the San Antonio area where it is hot and humid. I use a vest similar to this but the brand is Polar Products. http://www.polarproducts.com/polarshop/pc/home.asp. My primary packs last 2 1/2 to 3 hours and I can put in my backups for the ride home. The backups are made from a different type product that freezes at 58 degrees. So if you need to recharge just put into ice water for 10 minutes and you are ready to go. I wouldn't leave the house without the vest in the South Texas heat.
    Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    I use Tour Master Transition jacket but I have vents open to direct air flow to CoolVest.
    I use CoolVest which keeps a cool core body temp for 2 1/2 hours, then put in back up CoolVest packets, (instead of using water soaked vest).
    I have used CoolVest (like Military use overseas) with Tour Master Transition Jacket with vents open for many Hot summers in Arizona!!
    https://www.glaciertek.com/sports/
    (I use mesh jacket for short rydes around Tucson, Az).
    LDComfort wickable long johns.
    Everyone is different, this is what seems to work ok for me ryding F3S Spyder.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Actually, JC, LD Comfort, who are a well known and reputable US manufacturer of cooling and heating gear agree with Pirate. They recommend you do NOT use a mesh jacket over their wet undergear, but use a normal jacket with a couple of vents open for the best cooling effect. I doubt they would leave themselves open to litigation by offering wrong and dangerous misinformation. The jury might still be out on that one.

Pete
    That is WITH their wet undergear very different thing. They are trying to prevent over cooling and short duration of cooling effect. That has NOTHING to do with skin cooling. I stand by my statement.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SouthTexasSpyder View Post
    Finally someone mentioned a cooling vest. I am in the San Antonio area where it is hot and humid. I use a vest similar to this but the brand is Polar Products. http://www.polarproducts.com/polarshop/pc/home.asp. My primary packs last 2 1/2 to 3 hours and I can put in my backups for the ride home. The backups are made from a different type product that freezes at 58 degrees. So if you need to recharge just put into ice water for 10 minutes and you are ready to go. I wouldn't leave the house without the vest in the South Texas heat.
    Buddy
    They have a number of products. Is this the one you mean? http://www.polarproducts.com/polarsh...Vest-p2227.htm

Or this one? http://www.polarproducts.com/polarsh...Vests-c535.htm
    Last edited by UtahPete; 08-26-2017 at 10:13 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They recommend you do NOT use a mesh jacket over their wet undergear, but use a normal jacket with a couple of vents open for the best cooling effect.
    No matter where it comes from, that is BAD advice.

Why.....because they can not know all the possible combinations of jackets and vents.
    What is a "normal jacket" ??
    Some vents may be large and flow good; others might be small and ineffective.

If and what kind of windshield/fairing you have.......on a regular bike......can be a factor too.

My RT in it's stock configuration doesn't have much airflow on the "driver" at all.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You've been pretty much trashing all of the advice as bad: what gear do YOU use for riding in the heat?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    No matter where it comes from, that is BAD advice. Why.....because they can not know all the possible combinations of jackets and vents.
    What is a "normal jacket" ?? Some vents may be large and flow good; others might be small and ineffective. If and what kind of windshield/fairing you have.......on a regular bike......can be a factor too. My RT in it's stock configuration doesn't have much airflow on the "driver" at all.
    Easy Rider, why are you so vehement on this topic? Do you have some related expertise that leads you to feel so strongly that there is only one way to address the issue of cooling the core when riding in hot weather?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He's just a noob, with four Months of time in here: mostly spent arguing with folks that really ride...

Spyder Garage

No matter where it comes from, that is BAD advice.

Why.....because they can not know all the possible combinations of jackets and vents.
    What is a "normal jacket" ??
    Some vents may be large and flow good; others might be small and ineffective.

If and what kind of windshield/fairing you have.......on a regular bike......can be a factor too.

My RT in it's stock configuration doesn't have much airflow on the "driver" at all.
    Tell you what, Easy Rider. Why don't you put your money where your mouth is, and challenge LD Comfort that they are providing BAD advice. I'm sure they have put a great deal of research into their instructions to customers, perhaps even more than you have. Let us know how you get on.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Vented windshield?????

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    My wife was riding her own Spyder, not behind me as a passenger.

Hi Pete,

Does your wife's have a VENTED windshield??? If you get her one or install one yourself ( Goldwing style ) she will be cooler and thank you

Say ER: Stock windshield doesn't flow much air. But a vented shield does. " My RT in it's stock configuration doesn't have much airflow on the "driver" at all.
    Last edited by Lew L; 08-26-2017 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Easy Rider's quote
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll be honest, I haven't read all the posts on this thread ... getting a bit sick of all the argy-bargy tweets...

Horses for courses...

Anyone who does lots of riding will figure out what works best for them, on their bike, with their screen.

Lots of good ideas here, but I like my low-tech approach - on a break I just pop a few drops of water on my helmet liner and, if it's really hot, splash some water on my t-shirt (which I add is under my jacket) .. Another trick is to wear a lightweight neck thing, drench with water, squeeze it out a bit - acts like a Coolgardie Safe and keeps core temp down - neck is a key spot for temp control. Good to go...
    Last edited by loisk; 08-26-2017 at 06:46 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    Hi Pete, Does your wife's have a VENTED windshield??? If you get her one or install one yourself ( Goldwing style ) she will be cooler and thank you Say ER: Stock windshield doesn't flow much air. But a vented shield does. " My RT in it's stock configuration doesn't have much airflow on the "driver" at all.
    My wife's is the Cognac which I bought used off this forum a month or so ago. It came equipped with a vented F4, so yes it does have a vent but the windshield is also much bigger. She likes that for cold or rainy conditions but the jury is still out as far as hot summer days. We're going to do the same route again tomorrow, using cooling vests (the cheap ones) and see if that helps any. Thanks for your concern; it's a valid one. I'm thinking of putting a 'wing vent in my stock 'shield.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    I'll be honest, I haven't read all the posts on this thread ... getting a bit sick of all the argy-bargy tweets... Horses for courses...Lots of good ideas here, but I like my low-tech approach - on a break I just pop a few drops of water on my helmet liner and, if it's really hot, splash some water on my t-shirt (which I add is under my jacket) .. Another trick is to wear a lightweight neck thing, drench with water, squeeze it out a bit - acts like a Coolgardie Safe and keeps core temp down - neck is a key spot for temp control. Good to go...
    I imagine your weather is a lot like ours (in reverse of course summer / winter months...) so I'm glad you found something that works for you (and doesn't cost a ton of money!). Thanks for your input.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You've been pretty much trashing all of the advice as bad: what gear do YOU use for riding in the heat?
    And YOU sir have been consistently mis-characterizing a lot of things that I post.

I start out with an open mesh riding jacket (just one huge vent).
    Then when that gets too hot, I shed the jacket long enough to get back home OR stop riding long enough to cool off.

The ONLY advice that I absolutely disagree with is: If riding and you are getting too hot, cover up MORE. Not good.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Easy Rider, why are you so vehement on this topic? Do you have some related expertise that leads you to feel so strongly that there is only one way to address the issue of cooling the core when riding in hot weather?
    SIGH.
    I never said that there is only one way to deal with it.
    I did say that there is (at least) one WRONG way to deal with it.

And yes, I've been the victim of heat prostration twice.
    Once was close to heat stroke.

I am so vehement about it because...........doing the wrong thing can get you DEAD.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    But a vented shield does.
    I have one. And adjustable side deflectors too.
    That helps.......some.
    As does running the shield all the way down.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And YOU sir have been consistently mis-characterizing a lot of things that I post.
    Put up or shut up: when and where did I mis-characterize you?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Put up or shut up: when and where did I mis-characterize you?
    You've been pretty much trashing all of the advice as bad:
    A broad generalization that is NOT true; not even close.
    A lot of posts have been made about various cooling devices and I have commented on NONE of those posts.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tell you what, Easy Rider. Why don't you put your money where your mouth is, and challenge LD Comfort that they are providing BAD advice.
    They might have a good product but their spiel about "trapping cooled air" inside a mostly closed jacket is pure bunk.

Anyone who really wants to know the truth about all this should do some net searching for information about heat prostration and heat stroke.......giving ZERO weight to claims made by individuals in forums like this and from companies that will profit from the result.

The real authorities are doctors......particularly those who specialize in sports medicine and Paramedics who are trained in how to treat excessive heat exposure.

Having been involved with this before, I HAVE done the research.
    But don't take my word for it.
    Look it up yourself.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Isn't this also an equally "broad generalization"?

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Isn't this also an equally "broad generalization"?
    Let's just remember that we have someone offering advice on ryding in the heat, that admittedly parks his motorcycle whenever the temperature reaches 90 degrees! Pretty tough hombre! This weekend we took a 100 mile ryde in temps from 95 to 107. I wore my Rev'it Sand 2 Jacket with vents open and a Rev'it Cooling vest under that. Once the temp rose above 100, I closed the vents. Stayed cool as a cucumber, while others had to leave early because they were too hot. They had stripped down to shorts and a t-shirt and could not take the heat. Thanks to Peteoz for confirming the science around this. "The great thing about science is that it is true whether you believe in it or not." Neil deGrasse Tyson

Easy Rider.......you proved my point by confirming that you have suffered from Heat sickness. No wonder based on your bad advice. Oh and that was below 90 degrees.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let the record show that I didn't say a thing...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Let's just remember that we have someone offering advice on ryding in the heat, that admittedly parks his motorcycle whenever the temperature reaches 90 degrees!
    I never said any such thing.

I don't appreciate having my remarks mis-quoted.

And I don't appreciate your personal insults.