Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    So, you're saying mesh jackets for airflow plus cooling jackets - in humid conditions - as I understand it.

You have all made a good point about staying hydrated regardless of what gear is being used. Thanks.
    No. Mesh jackets for airflow. The water goes into the body!

We have never needed any cooling vests. I suspect that they probably help; we just don't need them for our riding conditions.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Is that where you get your forum name (BoilerAnimal)?

Actually, from being a union Boilermaker. I've spent a lot of time crawling around in boilers at power plants doing repairs. My pension starts September 1st, so my body can take a break for awhile!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Default Hydrated

While I can't give any advice on hot weather riding as I am a wuss and won't ride above 90degree. I can attest to the hydration part. I did a lot of hot weather threw hiking and my first few trips I drank enough water to start leaking. I then went to Gatorade until I saw how much sugar was in it, then to electrolyte tabs. Nothing and I mean Nothing compares to Pedialyte. No more headaches, fatigue, less sweat, muscle cramps, always felt on top of my game, stronger and Never felt "Hot".

I ride in a Mesh jacket and never feel hot and this is a very interesting read though and hope to learn from the comments.
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Ultimate Seats ST Midrider
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Show Chrome Brake Pedal Extension
    Excelvan X-Grip Cell Phone Holder w/USB Charger
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:
    6'-1" - 205lbs - 32"IS - 34"Reach

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the feedback. Let me see if I can summarize what I've learned so far;

For ARID conditions, a cooling vest and stay hydrated. Most favor a mesh jacket but others are saying that when ambient temp is above body temp then a closed up jacket might work better to keep the heat out and the cool in.

For HUMID conditions, no cooling vest, stay hydrated and wear well-ventilated clothing to keep the air flowing over the skin to enhance the evaporative effect.

In all situations, protection from the sun's rays on the skin is essential. Is that about it?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Happily--it does not get over 80 degrees in our area for summer riding. We usually get as far as mesh jackets, Kevlar jeans, boots, helmets and fingerless gloves.

The one time we rented and rode in Hawaii--it was high nineties. We started with the above gear, but were down to aloha shirts and helmets by the end of the day. No--we were not naked--but that might have been nice. Not ATGATT, but it worked for us.

Going to just watch and see what is said. Have never felt the need for cooling vests, but we do not have those high riding temps either.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-21-2017 at 06:13 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Happily--it does not get over 80 degrees in our area for summer riding. We usually get as far as mesh jackets, Kevlar jeans, boots, helmets and fingerless gloves. The one time we rented and rode in Hawaii--it was high nineties. We started with the above gear, but were down to aloha shirts and helmets by the end of the day. No--we were not naked--but that might have been nice. Not ATGATT, but it worked for us. Going to just watch and see what is said. Have never felt the need for cooling vests, but we do not have those high riding temps either.
    What about the bugs? Do you just outrun them and hope you don't have to stop?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up LS-2 helmet

Thanks. You're the only one so far to mention a way of increasing helmet air flow. Can I ask how you accomplished that?
    Hi Pete,

The LS2 helmet has a small and ineffective air intake at the crown of the helmet. I heated a rubbery, dark, plastic material into a curve shape and cut it like a scoop. It's small and not obtrusive but it helps. I can try to get a pix later this evening. I also wear a "doo" rag which can be moistened and act like the cooling vest( then rinsed out at the end of the day) I have no "doo" as I'm clean shaven ( no helmet head or pillow head or barbers or mirrors)

BUT------ a vented windshield helps. When my wife is with me the shield has to be raised for her not to get turbulence at speed ( vent is open also) so I get air and she get no buffeting.

As I've said before--- buffeting causes--------------Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I didn't 'see it on the internet'; I saw it here on this forum by an experienced and respected member of the forum.

What do you suggest is the best way to go about keeping cool and safe in very hot weather?
    Don't ride. Honestly, short of strapping ice to your body or pouring water over your head every 15 minutes or so, there really is NO safe way to ride very far when the reported temperature is above 90 F.....because the air above black pavement in the sun will be 120 or more.

How do you view this forum.......if not over the Internet.
    Seriously, what do you REALLY know about this "respected members" qualifications to be making judgements like that ??

Closing off ALL of your airflow is exactly the WRONG thing to do, unless you have some method of cooling under there other than evaporation.

And open mesh riding jacket works good for me......for short distances.....because it lets through enough air to maintain the evaporative cooling without having the hot air blast you. It also keeps the sun of of you.

And finally, do a Google (or similar) search for "heat stroke".
    This is just one thing that popped up:
    http://www.medicinenet.com/heat_stro...e_be_prevented

I am pretty sure that NOTHING you find from an authoritative source will say to put on leathers and block off all the vents.
    People saying that on Internet forums do not count.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    The laws of equilibrium tell us that if it is 106 outside and you are at 98.6, you want to keep that hot air out. This is where you would want to close vents (and yes even in your helmet) and keep the cooler 98.6 on the inside and the 106 on the outside.
    That is faulty logic and is absolutely WRONG.

Your body creates heat all the time. If you block off the cooling air flow......no matter how hot it is.....your body temperature WILL continue to increase. Sweat cannot do any cooling without air flow.

Of course there absolutely IS a temperature where your body's natural cooling can't keep up.
    That varies a bit from one person to another but 99 usually isn't it.....IF you keep some air flowing.

Your continuing to promote this dangerous notion is doing NOBODY any favors.

Spyder Garage

Default Every BODY is different...

Thanks for the feedback. Let me see if I can summarize what I've learned so far;

For ARID conditions, a cooling vest and stay hydrated. Most favor a mesh jacket but others are saying that when ambient temp is above body temp then a closed up jacket might work better to keep the heat out and the cool in.

For HUMID conditions, no cooling vest, stay hydrated and wear well-ventilated clothing to keep the air flowing over the skin to enhance the evaporative effect.

In all situations, protection from the sun's rays on the skin is essential. Is that about it?
    No. There is no cut and dry solution to riding in the heat. Every Body is different.

I like the heat. Don't take the liners out of my jacket till it reaches 80. The heat starts to affect me at 105. Hubby starts to have heat problems at 95.

Case in point... In July we decided to make a cracklin run from Houston to Scott, Louisiana. One day down, one day back. We were on the way back and stopped at Don's Meat Market for cracklins and boudin. Yum, big biker stop.

We met a biker who had red hair and fair skin bundled up, including a wet towel around his neck. Turns out he can't handle heat and has a cooling system on the back of his bike. He loves to ride, but can't handle the heat, so he figured out a way to be comfortable and safe.

On the way home, Hubby got heat stupid at 98 degrees. I pulled him over and made him drink sea salt water, waited till he was better, then rode home.

#1. They talk about hydrating, but don't talk about replenishing the electrolytes leached by sweating. Like someone said, Pedialyite has less sugar than Gatorade, but I prefer putting sea salt in my water. Cheaper, but still does the job.

#2. The older you get, the less you can tolerate heat.

#3. Most important! You are talking with people from all different climates. Between different body needs and acclimation to different temperatures, you are going to get answers all over the board. You need to find out what works for you! Nobody else can tell you that.

There is no cut and dry solution....
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We are on our way home from Iowa and we had almost as much trouble keeping warm as we did keeping cool. On our way there we rode through the Rockies after dark and it got down in the low 40s, a 50 degree drop from our morning temperature. Today we rode to the top of Pikes Peak and it was windy and low 50"s. Tomorrow we will hit the heat wearing textile jackets, pants and our cool vests. Vents open for me. Camelbaks will be full of ice water.

We wore mesh jackets yesterday when it was humid and hot. I wear mesh when riding locally but on the highway I prefer my personal "swamp cooler"
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Don't ride. Honestly, short of strapping ice to your body or pouring water over your head every 15 minutes or so, there really is NO safe way to ride very far when the reported temperature is above 90 F.....because the air above black pavement in the sun will be 120 or more. How do you view this forum.......if not over the Internet. Seriously, what do you REALLY know about this "respected members" qualifications to be making judgements like that ??

Closing off ALL of your airflow is exactly the WRONG thing to do, unless you have some method of cooling under there other than evaporation. And open mesh riding jacket works good for me......for short distances.....because it lets through enough air to maintain the evaporative cooling without having the hot air blast you. It also keeps the sun of of you.

And finally, do a Google (or similar) search for "heat stroke".

I am pretty sure that NOTHING you find from an authoritative source will say to put on leathers and block off all the vents. People saying that on Internet forums do not count.
    Wow, where to start? First off, thanks for your input. I have ridden in 115 degree temps in Phoenix, AZ for three summers, so know what that's like with the heat coming off the engine and multiplied by the black pavement, stopped at a traffic light. I was uncomfortable and desperate to get moving into the mountains, but not sick. I know what heat stroke is - had it in the Navy training in the desert in preparation for the jungles of Vietnam (go figure).

I've never worn leathers - only textile motorcycle clothing. I had a Joe Rocket jacket and pants in AZ - in fact, still have them. But, I'm not the one who was having trouble the other day. It was my wife and as some other post on here said - everybody's different. So, I was asking what other people have found works for them in order to get some ideas about her comfort and safety riding in the heat.

I think she (and I) should definitely wear cooling vests in the desert heat. We have them, might as well use them. We should also drink a lot more water than we have been doing - that was something I should have known but forgot. I'm still not sure what the solution is for riding in humid conditions as we are likely to do at some point when we begin touring together, but I've gotten some good pointers here. And, also a reminder that, yes, each person is different and what works for me apparently is not working for Jane, so we'll keep trying different solutions until we find the right one for her. Meanwhile, we should stop more often, drink more water, maybe use salt tablets to replace the 'lytics'.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hydrating doesn't mean drinking water before you start riding and during the ride. That is an important facet but it takes more than that to be truly hydrated.

Acclamation is needed to help your body learn to handle the high temps and/or humidity. Another factor is the need to start drinking several hours before the start of the ride. If the conditions are especially demanding and you only start drinking water just before and during the ride, you run the risk of a deficit on your liquid intake.

No alcohol! It's OK after you're safely home! Coffee and soft drinks can also pose a problem because they are all diuretics. You can get liquid from your food and essential nutrients to keep you alert, so lay off the coffee and Mountain Dew. Use a Camelback so it's easy to drink while riding. If your urine isn't clear, drink more!

I wear a HJC IS MAX II modular helmet, a mesh riding jacket with Level 3 body armor, gloves and lace up work boots when riding. When it's really hot, we take our helmets off and wear our jackets inside where we take them off and we put our gear on before going back out into the heat whenever possible to keep from standing in the heat getting ready. We even do this in restaurants, so far not a word has been said. Personally, I think most people are more than just a little jealous!

One more thing. Don't wait to drink until you are thirsty. If it's really hot then it's too late, you are already dehydrated! Many folks overlook that point!

I've spent a lot of time working under high heat conditions in power plants and welding parts that have high temperature preheat requirements. It is something you must build yourself up to. If you don't and you subject yourself to severe conditions without proper preps, you will suffer!

That said, 95° and 95% humidity may not be the most desirable conditions but it doesn't keep my wife and I from riding. But we do build up to it as the summer comes on.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post

but I prefer putting sea salt in my water. Cheaper, but still does the job.

EXCELLENT post.
    Note that too much salt in your water might make you throw up.......thus making matters worse.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow, where to start?

Meanwhile, we should stop more often, drink more water, maybe use salt tablets to replace the 'lytics'.
    That's a good place to start and end.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You park your bike at only 90 degrees?

Spyder Garage

The other thing that helped me in high temps was using one of those cooling clothes around my neck, the kind that is stiff till you wet it (sort of like a chamois). I don't have a cooling vest, so I'd wear bike shorts and a cami under my armored mesh. Having my neck cool really helped a lot.

Of course, the downside is that the towel stiffens as it dries, so you have to stop and wet it periodically.
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default I think you got it Pete

posted by UtahPete "wear cooling vests in the desert heat. We have them, might as well use them. We should also drink a lot more water than we have been doing - that was something I should have known but forgot. I'm still not sure what the solution is for riding in humid conditions as we are likely to do at some point when we begin touring together, but I've gotten some good pointers here. And, also a reminder that, yes, each person is different and what works for me apparently is not working for Jane, so we'll keep trying different solutions until we find the right one for her. Meanwhile, we should stop more often, drink more water, maybe use salt tablets to replace the 'lytics'."

Yep everyone is different, and the body must be "full" of water just like a cars cooling system to work efficiently. As we get older I find my tolerance and fitness for heat is less, hence more rest stops in the cool, and ALWAYS cold water at the ready to drink as we ride.. neck wraps soaking in the melted ice water in the cooler help us get refreshed and cool the body temperature immediately and as they evaporate. And "A pickle a day keeps the heat stroke away" what you need.jpg
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Another Thought

Another thing we try to do is stay in peak physical condition. We try for 3 to 6 miles a day on a treadmill combined with resistance training, to keep the bodies cooling system working at peak levels. Hydration is key, lots of H2O, and once your body is used to freaquent excercise, and is not carrying a lot of body fat around you will find that the body gets much more efficient with that natural cooling system.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've decided to pursue Physical fatness; over Physical fitness...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You park your bike at only 90 degrees?
    Whom are you addressing that comment TO ???

Quote Bob, QUOTE.

Spyder Garage

Default Especially if you LOVE pickles

Haven't heard that one before. How does that work?
    Whatever gives you a little electrolyte and encourages more water intake has got to help...who knows how much salt and bad stuff is in that pickle package but hey, the stop for a cool drink in the shade, along with the neck wrap was good for me too
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Shouldn't it have been: "To whom, are you addressing that comment?"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was just late getting back to the party; that's all!