Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default How to gear up to ride comfortably and safely in really hot weather?

Originally Posted by Pirate looks at --
    Great post Ann. People don't understand the laws of Thermodynamics. Heat will always try to find a balance and transfer from the warmer surface to the cooler surface. If it is over 99 degrees outside, you want to keep your 98.6 inside and away from the 102 outside. You will remain cooler by zipping up all vents and even closing the vents on your helmet. Keep the 98.6 inside and you will be cooler. I tested this coming home from Valcourt. Drove 200 miles across South Dakota in 102 degrees. I closed up everything and remained cool throughout. Once you jump out there in your shorts you will dehydrate and go into heat sickness very fast. So if you are going to the grocery store you can wear what you want, but for me, I am going to remain covered like those cool, calm collected BMW ryders.....and the long, tall cool one....Ann Myers!

I'd sure like to pursue this topic a little more. My wife and I took a ride yesterday in 96 degree weather. She was wearing her First Gear Hypertex jacket and I was wearing my mid-weight Olympia jacket with the pocket vents open. We both have HJC IS MAX-II modular helmets with the vents open. I was pretty warm but not dangerously uncomfortable but Jane was miserably hot.

So, I'm looking into this again, because living in Utah, hot weather riding is a reality and for safety sake if nothing else it's important that we not get overheated when riding.

So, vents open or closed?
    Dedicated hot-weather mesh jackets or not?
    High tech evaporative vests with built-in water supply worth the money and bulk?

Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default hot weather riding

My wife and I use full mesh jackets with armor in the key areas, and combine that with cooling vests, which are a quilted vest that is made to soak up a lot of water. We have ridden in 100+ degree weather for hours at a time and kept cool enough to keep riding. or last big ride of 2,600 miles in nine days found us in Hell's Canyon at 104 degrees and we managed alright. I don't enjoy riding in that kind of temperatures but with the cooling vest we can. They last about two hours until we need to re-soak them down.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    My wife and I use full mesh jackets with armor in the key areas, and combine that with cooling vests, which are a quilted vest that is made to soak up a lot of water. We have ridden in 100+ degree weather for hours at a time and kept cool enough to keep riding. or last big ride of 2,600 miles in nine days found us in Hell's Canyon at 104 degrees and we managed alright. I don't enjoy riding in that kind of temperatures but with the cooling vest we can. They last about two hours until we need to re-soak them down.
    We do have those cooling vests and just haven't used them for some time. Thanks for the reminder.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I have the Dainese City Guard mesh.. great jacket.... looking at a Fly cooling vest .. any other vendor recommendations for a cooling vest?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Originally Posted by Pirate looks at --
    Great post Ann. People don't understand the laws of Thermodynamics.
    This is a DANGEROUS misconception to be passing around.
    The human body MUST have some way to shed heat.
    IF you enclose yourself with no ventilation, your body's temperature will continue to rise until you have a heat stroke.

But you don't have to believe me: ASK A DOCTOR.

Just because you saw it on the Internet and it SOUNDS plausible does not mean that it is true.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    This is a DANGEROUS misconception to be passing around. The human body MUST have some way to shed heat. IF you enclose yourself with no ventilation, your body's temperature will continue to rise until you have a heat stroke. But you don't have to believe me: ASK A DOCTOR. Just because you saw it on the Internet and it SOUNDS plausible does not mean that it is true.
    I didn't 'see it on the internet'; I saw it here on this forum by an experienced and respected member of the forum.

What do you suggest is the best way to go about keeping cool and safe in very hot weather?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    This is a DANGEROUS misconception to be passing around.
    The human body MUST have some way to shed heat.
    IF you enclose yourself with no ventilation, your body's temperature will continue to rise until you have a heat stroke.

But you don't have to believe me: ASK A DOCTOR.

Just because you saw it on the Internet and it SOUNDS plausible does not mean that it is true.
    I said basically the same thing before. You need some airflow across your body to assist with evaporation to help cool you. But, too much airflow could cause problems; you need to make sure you stay hydrated, and not become dehydrated; this is especially so in warmer climates where the temps are above body temperature.
    Last edited by wyliec; 08-21-2017 at 04:11 PM.

Spyder Garage

I didn't 'see it on the internet'; I saw it here on this forum by an experienced and respected member of the forum.

What do you suggest is the best way to go about keeping cool and safe in very hot weather?
    Without getting into a whizzing contest, this time I find myself agreeing with Easy Rider.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default My thoughts

Vents open or closed. Depends on how hot it is. At 96 degrees the outside temperature is still cooler than your body temperature so in that case vents open and or mesh jacket and a cooling vest is really great to have. This is what we use https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...d-cooling-vest. I do find that it lasts longer if I don't wear the mesh jacket, but use my 4 season Jacket with vents open. Either way you can recharge them when you stop to get gas by soaking them again.

This summer we have done a lot of ryding in 105 to 106 degrees. Now science tell us that heat will always transfer from the hotter surface to the cooler surface. The laws of equilibrium tell us that if it is 106 outside and you are at 98.6, you want to keep that hot air out. This is where you would want to close vents (and yes even in your helmet) and keep the cooler 98.6 on the inside and the 106 on the outside. You will sweat, but that sweat will last longer and cool you longer if you can keep it from evaporating too quickly. You will still receive some benefit from the cooling vest in these conditions. A couple of reasons why the heat has a greater effect on your wife would be that she is probably smaller than you, so less surface area for the sweat to cool her, and her pores are smaller than yours and she just doesn't sweat as efficiently as you do. I have ryden in 106 for 4 hours completely closed up and kept pretty cool. Certainly I had no symptoms of heat sickness at all. Oh and drink at least a liter of water ( and only water ) for every hour on the road.

So key temperature is 99 degrees, below that temp open up ( but keep fully covered no tank tops, flip flops, cutoffs etc. Above 99 close up and lock in that cool 98.6. BTW if you are just taking a quick jaunt to the grocery store.........wear whatever you want!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Try an Icon Armored Vest and some elbow pads. I find it flows more air than a mesh jacket

2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I said basically the same thing before. You need some airflow across your body to assist with evaporation to help cool you. But, too much airflow could cause problems; you need to make sure you stay hydrated, and not become dehydrated; this is especially so in warmer climates where the temps are above body temperature.
    Sounds logical, but if the air that is flowing over your body is at 100 degrees or more, your body temperature will rise as well, plus you will have an increased evaporation of sweat, and more quickly become dehydrated.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Vents open or closed. Depends on how hot it is. At 96 degrees the outside temperature is still cooler than your body temperature so in that case vents open and or mesh jacket and a cooling vest is really great to have. This is what we use https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...d-cooling-vest. I do find that it lasts longer if I don't wear the mesh jacket, but use my 4 season Jacket with vents open. Either way you can recharge them when you stop to get gas by soaking them again. So key temperature is 99 degrees, below that temp open up ( but keep fully covered no tank tops, flip flops, cutoffs etc. Above 99 close up and lock in that cool 98.6. BTW if you are just taking a quick jaunt to the grocery store.........wear whatever you want!
    Okay, so it sounds like a cooling vest is in order either way?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Yep

Totally agree. You can get the same type of material for your neck and wrists. These are two areas of the body that have a lot f blood flow close to the surface and allow S for cooling of the blood stream.

Spyder Garage

I forgot to add to my original reply that along with the mesh jacket and cooling vest we do stop and drink a lot of water. occasionally we drink a small bottle of power aide but mostly water. on our trip to Glacier Park last month on our way from Portland to Boise we rode in over the high 90's and arrived in Boise at 104 that night. We made many stops along the way to hydrate and rest.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Sounds logical, but if the air that is flowing over your body is at 100 degrees or more, your body temperature will rise as well, plus you will have an increased evaporation of sweat, and more quickly become dehydrated.
    Evaporation is what causes your body to cool, and I also said to be careful of too much air flow. The higher the humidity, the slower the evaporation process. Just because the outdoor temp is warmer doesn't mean the evaporation process from your skin stops, the higher humidity will slow it down more. Also, what will help with high humidity is movement of air across your skin which helps the evaporation process; it's helping to blow that high temp/humidity away from your body; so, don't stop moving, and stay hydrated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Evaporation is what causes your body to cool, and I also said to be careful of too much air flow. The higher the humidity, the slower the evaporation process. Just because the outdoor temp is warmer doesn't mean the evaporation process from your skin stops, the higher humidity will slow it down more. Also, what will help with high humidity is movement of air across your skin which helps the evaporation process; it's helping to blow that high temp/humidity away from your body; so, don't stop moving, and stay hydrated.
    That's a good point. What works in an arid heat like out west may not be the best solution for high humidity climates like east of the Rockies almost anywhere. In the latter case, would you say skip the cooling vest and let the breeze through the mesh jacket do the cooling?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

That's a good point. What works in an arid heat like out west may not be the best solution for high humidity climates like east of the Rockies almost anywhere. In the latter case, would you say skip the cooling vest and let the breeze through the mesh jacket do the cooling?
    I'm sorry. I'm done. This is the point where you'll have to try things for yourself. I shouldn't have come back on here. I've finally decided to make the plunge. Adios.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You need:
    Airflow
    Protection from the Sun's rays
    LOTS oi water

We use our mesh jackets (with full armor), modular helmets, gloves, and boots.
    We also hydrate before, during, and after the ride.

Boom-chacka-lacka!

This keeps us riding even when the temperatures get really deep into the nineties!
    (It rarely scratches 100 around here!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Have ridden many times in 105 - 112 degree heat in TX/AZ. Mesh is your friend. Also, use cooling shirts/vests/pants under your mesh. I've actually gotten pretty cool in these conditions. If you don't have the cooling gear.... soak the long sleeve shirts and pants in water and wring them out. Best cooling I've had for a few hours under mesh.

Was wearing mesh in a bad crash last year. Didn't get a scratch on me!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crna59 View Post
    Have ridden many times in 105 - 112 degree heat in TX/AZ. Mesh is your friend. Also, use cooling shirts/vests/pants under your mesh. I've actually gotten pretty cool in these conditions. If you don't have the cooling gear.... soak the long sleeve shirts and pants in water and wring them out. Best cooling I've had for a few hours under mesh. Was wearing mesh in a bad crash last year. Didn't get a scratch on me!!
    Good feedback. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You need: Airflow; Protection from the Sun's rays; LOTS of water

We use our mesh jackets (with full armor), modular helmets, gloves, and boots. We also hydrate before, during, and after the ride. This keeps us riding even when the temperatures get really deep into the nineties! (It rarely scratches 100 around here!)
    So, you're saying mesh jackets for airflow plus cooling jackets - in humid conditions - as I understand it.

You have all made a good point about staying hydrated regardless of what gear is being used. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Humidity

Have to say that my heat ryding experience is in the dry not high humidity, so I can't say. I have heard other here say that the cooling vest really doesn't work in very humid environments. I am sure that some one from Florida will chime in on that.

Spyder Garage

Default Works for me

Joe Rocket full mesh jacket ( with armor ), cooling vest ( as others have suggested ) AND a vented windshield. Added a small scoop to the top vent on my helmet which also helps. Also have a insulated container with straw on the bars and can get a sip easily and often.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    Joe Rocket full mesh jacket ( with armor ), cooling vest ( as others have suggested ) AND a vented windshield. Added a small scoop to the top vent on my helmet which also helps. Also have a insulated container with straw on the bars and can get a sip easily and often. Kaos
    Thanks. You're the only one so far to mention a way of increasing helmet air flow. Can I ask how you accomplished that?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

One thing that appears to be getting overlooked is heat gain do to heat load. That insulation that keeps the heat out also keeps it in. We also know that it's not 100% efficient. Without a way to shed the heat gained from our bodies, sunshine and ambient temps our clothing can become the equivalent of a boiling bag for humans.

That means that we should wear light colors, open vents and utilize high tech clothing whenever possible to help our bodies to keep cool. I would also strongly urge the use of a Camelback or a similar product.

I used to ride long distances on my road bike in all kinds of temperatures with no problems. You have to do some research to find reliable information on the proper recommendations for the style or type of activity you are considering. Then follow it! And remember, hydration is key!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.