Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default ONE yearago today...

It was 1 year ago today that I purchased my 2016 Spyder RtLimited. So, here’s a little recap of the issues and down time I’ve experenceedwith my Spyder.
    Last Fall I had a parking brake issue. The Spyder went intothe shop on Sept 2nd and I picked it up on Sept 29th.That was a total down time of 28 days, which 19 days waiting for parts.
    This spring I had the starter motor issue. The Spyder wentinto the shop on May 26th and I picked it up on June 27th.That was a total down time of 33 days, which was 21 days waiting on parts.
    And for now, the parking brake again, other electricalproblems and the latch cable on the right rear compartment needs replace. The Spyderwent into the shop on July 13th and to date is STILL in the shop waitingfor parts. The parts manager is in contact with BRP every Friday to see wherethe parts are and the answer he gets is they will be there by the followingFriday. Parts were ordered on July 28th. So far total down time iscurrently 40 days and if the parts come in by this Friday I could have theSpyder home by the end of this month, which would be a total of 50 days of downtime.
    The 3 times it’s needed repair under WARRANTY will be 111days in the shop for repairs and waiting on parts from BRP. I don’t have anymore comments about BRP and their customer support for their products. Everyonehas seen my rants from before.
    So, it’s time to say goodbye. When the Spyder returns home,whenever that will be is anyone’s guess, the Spyder will be going on the worldwide web for sure. Too much hassle as far as I’m concerned.
    I will say I have enjoyed my time on this site. A ton ofnice individuals here with a lot of useful information and knowledge to be hadfor you folks.
    Also, I will say that when the Spyder was home and runningproperly it was a true joy the ride. The handling and ride seemed to be next tonone as far as trikes go.

Spyder Garage

Default Sad news...

Sorry to hear of all the trials and tribulations you have endured over the past year. But you know you don't have to leave the site if you no longer have a Spyder. We have many here without a bike or two wheelers. Some have come and then left and some come back....Good luck on whatever path you may take...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear your Issues with you Spyder/Dealer? I am on my 3rd Spyder and no issues. The ride gets better and more refined every time.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I wonder how much of this is dealer issue and how much is BRP.

My experience has been totally different than yours. I understand your frustration and would also be unhappy in your shoes.

I had my spyder in for minor repairs, parts were orders and BRP shipped them to the dealer in a matter of days, one was delivered to the wrong location by UPS, and BRP sent a second part out instantly when notified.
    Total time in the shop for frunk leak, new seal replacement, troubleshoot air suspension, find hole and replace airline, troubleshoot ticking noise in front, replace purge valve, was a total of 11 days in the shop.

All parts that were ordered from BRP took less than a week to receive.

Something doesn't sound right here.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of all the trouble and down time.I havn't had any problems in the 2 years I have had mine.The rear fender part the dealer needed after I got hit in the back only took 3 days to get and 2 hrs to replace.Hope you have better luck in the future.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope that your next bike will be everything that you ever hoped for!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your issues. The month at a time in the shop is one of those issues that usually point to a dealer being less than honest with the customer. Moot issue--but did you trust but verify that BRP was really in the mix?

Your situation is a positive argument to make sure you have a warranty in place. I hope the other live thread catches this.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your problems. Personally, I think you have been way too patient with your dealer. I have had 3 different BRP products and have found that when my dealer puts BRPs feet to the fire, things get done. Generally parts take 3 days from time ordered to dealers hands. With that kind of down time I would have insisted the dealer just remove the needed part from his inventory and let him fight it out with BRP to get the replacement. Or, how about a loaner vehicle... I'll bet, rather than doing that, the parts will magically appear.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Man, I don't know how I would react to those problems. Sorry to hear about that, I would probably look into lemon law, I know in Idaho you can't unless its an automobile. Dealer won't work on a trade for a new Spyder? Good luck.

2016 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Sorry to hear of your issues. The month at a time in the shop is one of those issues that usually point to a dealer being less than honest with the customer. Moot issue--but did you trust but verify that BRP was really in the mix?

Your situation is a positive argument to make sure you have a warranty in place. I hope the other live thread catches this.
    Sorry about your problems. As for akspyderman our 2016 RTS has been perfect so far with no glitches. But I hear you and first timer about problems and warranty's. Life is short enjoy while we can.
    900 Ryker Wifes

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's such a shame that you've had all of these service issues.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would be really pissed if all of this happened to me. We have almost 70000 miles on our two spyders, and they have only been in the shop for routine maintenance. We did have the 13 RT in for two recalls, but those were only over night ( and that was by choice as we dropped it off one evening and picked it up the next evening ). This could be a dealer issue, I have always found BRP to be responsive to parts orders ( could be I was lucky and needed the right parts ). Last year we had the RT in for routine maintenance. This was on a Wednesday. The dealer noticed something broken on the suspension and said we needed it fixed right away. We were leaving for the Nor-Cal Spyder Rally on Friday. Wednesday after hours our dealer ordered the parts and had them overnighted, the parts arrived on Friday, and while we left an hour or so later than we had planned, we were at the rally on time. If your dealer doesn't have a " sense of urgency" on your behalf, neither will BRP!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PS

.......once you get it back......you love ryding it so much......maybe just one more chance.....
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear that you are having so many problems. I think you should try a different dealer. They shouldn't take that long to get parts. Somebody isn't doing their jobs. The two dealers I have used gotten parts I have ordered within a week. Good luck in what ever you decide!
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

I would make sure that BRP knows your issues before you throw in the towel. Even though they can not do anything for past issues, they certainly can look into the performance of the dealer and possibly do something for others that bring their bike to them, since you're probably not the only one that is experiencing delay problems.
    You may want to get on YELP and see if there are other related comments like you have with the dealers service.
    You would hate to give up a fantastic ride for bad service but can't blame you.
    2014 RTS Limited , Matt Grey

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone for your replies and concerns. To answer some people, I have contacted BRP, past and present. I've been told that there is nothing they can do about a dealer because they are owned and operated independently
    from BRP and they have no say over the dealership. At this point in time I haven't got any satisfaction from either, just giving up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So what's on the "wish-List" for a next bike?

Spyder Garage

At this point in time not sure what my next ride will be. Had a HD Freewheeler before the Spyder, did not care for the ride or handling at all. Kind of in limbo currently.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

More than half of the fun is in the shopping: enjoy the wild ride!!
    (And definitely show us pictures!)

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...hate to lose you

Quote Originally Posted by OKey View Post
    I would make sure that BRP knows your issues before you throw in the towel. Even though they can not do anything for past issues, they certainly can look into the performance of the dealer and possibly do something for others that bring their bike to them, since you're probably not the only one that is experiencing delay problems.
    You may want to get on YELP and see if there are other related comments like you have with the dealers service.
    You would hate to give up a fantastic ride for bad service but can't blame you.
    Hate to lose you.
    2014 RTS Limited , Matt Grey

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Time for new dealer??? Hang in there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by First Timer View Post
    Thanks to everyone for your replies and concerns. To answer some people, I have contacted BRP, past and present. I've been told that there is nothing they can do about a dealer because they are owned and operated independently
    from BRP and they have no say over the dealership. At this point in time I haven't got any satisfaction from either, just giving up.
    I think that I see your problem. I did you use "World of Powersports"? I did a search for dealers near you to see who you are dealing with and the first three dealerships that come up are all the same dealership "World of Powersports". Looks to me that they have a monopoly in the area and probably don't care how they treat their customers because they have a captive audience. BRP, you listening???

First Timer, have you ever talked with "BoilerAnimal" here on the forum? Is listed as living in Central Illinois he might be of some help with your dealer problems.

PS I was born in Peoria and raised in Washington
    Last edited by bboley; 08-26-2017 at 10:49 PM.

My Spyder History
    2013 ST Limited - 16,000 miles
    2015 F3s - 48,500 miles
    2016 F3t - TBD

Spyder Garage

Yes Sir. World of Power Sports has 3 dealerships. 1 in Decatur,IL the original dealership. They have opened 2 more over the last couple of years. 1 here in Peoria, IL and the other in Bloomington, IL.

I too grew up in Peoria. Served as a City of Peoria Fire Fighter for 33years before I retired as the Assistant Fire Chief 7 years ago now. just enjoying the ride now.

Spyder Garage

Just a little side comment... BRP says they have no control over their independent dealers....right up to the point of what tires they are installing!!!!! Very sorry to see such poor service create so much bad will. You deserve better. Good luck where ever you land.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Up date today. Just heard from my dealer. Parking park was frozen, had to take motor off and cleaned now it works. Some good news. The other electrical issues, the part that BRP said to replace didn't fix the problem.
    On phone again now with a Tech from BRP trying to figure out what to do next. Doesn't look like I'll have it back by this week now.
    I'd switch dealers but the only dealer is World of Power Sports in my area. Their 3 dealerships are the closets to me with out driving or trailering the Spyder some where else.