Spyder Garage

Default Uneven brake pad wear, rear Brembo on 2014 RT Ltd - Part 1

Here is what I found when I changed rear brake pads on our 2014 RT Ltd.

IMAG0771a.jpg

One edge measures about 1.5 mm thick while the other edge is about 3.5 mm thick.

Suspecting that one of the two sliding pins was hung up and causing this problem, I decided to pull the caliber down again and separate the mounting plate from the caliper so the slide pins could be cleaned and relubed (something I should have done when I replaced the pads a few days earlier).

IMAG0773a.jpg

Here is the location of the two slide pins.

IMAG0778a.jpg

So, problem confirmed. Lower pin not only dry but rusty.

IMAG0780a.jpg

Pitting rust.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RT Ltd Silver Platinum Satin, Ultimate Seat, rider and passenger backrests, Vented Windshield, Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors, Chrome Tri Axis Handlebars with GPS Support, Trailer Hitch Kit, RT-622 Trailer Silver Platinum Satin, Stebil Air Horn, BajaRon's Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid bike and Trailer, R/T grills, SpyderSisters Front Trunk Pockets, SpyderSisters Sunshade, Spyderflaps Mud Flap, many TricLED lights
    2014 Limited , Silver Playinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Default Uneven rear brake pad wear, Brembo on 2014 RT Ltd - Part 2

So I removed the rusty lower pin with a 5 mm hex wrench.

IMAG0781a.jpg IMAG0782a.jpg

Wire brushed the rust off.

IMAG0783a.jpg

Then cleaned it and its opening in the mounting block with rust cleaned. Finally I ran it through my ultrasonic and rinse it all off with brake cleaner.

IMAG0784a.jpg

After a thin coat of Wurth CU1800 copper based anti seize I reassembled and the caliper now slides easily as it should.

Not a hard job. I did need to use a small hammer to drive the mounting plate off the caliper.

We are now ready for the 1,700 mile trip we have planned for the first of September.

Hope this may help others.

BTW, these slide pins are not listed in the BRP parts listing that I could find. That is the reason that I cleaned it up and reused it. Normally, if they were available I would have replaced that pin.

Ride safe.
    2014 RT Ltd Silver Platinum Satin, Ultimate Seat, rider and passenger backrests, Vented Windshield, Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors, Chrome Tri Axis Handlebars with GPS Support, Trailer Hitch Kit, RT-622 Trailer Silver Platinum Satin, Stebil Air Horn, BajaRon's Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid bike and Trailer, R/T grills, SpyderSisters Front Trunk Pockets, SpyderSisters Sunshade, Spyderflaps Mud Flap, many TricLED lights
    2014 Limited , Silver Playinum Satin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I had same issue of uneven brake pad. Dealer installed new pad. This was a fix from dealer do to parking break issue. I have a appointment on the 19th for parking break issue again. Will show pic to tech . Thanks for the info!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks...

Not uncommon and always suggested you check both sides of the pad when inspecting. Also a step many overlook when changing pads. 's for the reminder and the visuals.
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black