Thread: '13 Gauges

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default '13 Gauges

After removing the fuel and temperature gauges last year on my 2013 RT, I have been promoting this change to anyone, with some that have been critical.

The 2013 has a six gallon tank and I used to fill up when the analog gauge showed near empty but rarely put even four gallons in the tank. Last week I did an 8 Days of Hope mission for flood victims in WV. On the way back, I did not know how distant the gas stations would be and I was running critically low on fuel. As in the light came one at about 125 miles, no stations at 135, then 140, that is when the final little orange bar dissappeared from the digital guage, then the trip odometer hit 145 and then 150. Yes, I was pulling the trailer and in the mountains.

When I finally found a gas station I was curious about how much fuel I would be adding. I fueled the same way that I always had and this time I added 5.741 gallons of fuel. I was impressed, so I am estimating that with the digital fuel gauge, the final bar disappears with about 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon remaining in the tank. That is close and as far as I am concerned, really accurate, since I don't want it to go out at zero.

Thanks for listening,
    Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

It's good to know the honest range you got pulling a trailer. I have never had to stretch it that close and appreciate the heads up.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    , I have been promoting this change to anyone, with some that have been critical.
    Just because some people have different needs and preferences does not mean that they are "critical" of what you are doing.
    Unless, of course, you persist in saying that you are "right" and everybody else is wrong.

Spyder Garage

Another suggestion. Fill to the same level each time. I usually bring the gas up to the level of the inner ring. Stop--let it settle once--re fill to the ring. Do not overflow.

Set the A OR B tripmeter to zero. Then you will have an accurate reading of how many miles on the current tank. I find we get 150 miles before the re-fuel light goes on with the 2011 and a little more than 200 with the 2014. One is a 998 and the other is the 1330.

Miles per bars or hash marks on the fuel gauges are not what I would call very accurate. They give you lots of miles per bar at the top, but go down quickly after that.

My record was 5.8 gallons on the 2010 (998 engine) at 184 miles. The refill light was on for about 35 miles at that time.

I try not to push the limits. Fill for both Spyders is right around 150.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default 13 guages

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Another suggestion. Fill to the same level each time. I usually bring the gas up to the level of the inner ring. Stop--let it settle once--re fill to the ring. Do not overflow.

Set the A OR B tripmeter to zero. Then you will have an accurate reading of how many miles on the current tank. I find we get 150 miles before the re-fuel light goes on with the 2011 and a little more than 200 with the 2014. One is a 998 and the other is the 1330.

Miles per bars or hash marks on the fuel gauges are not what I would call very accurate. They give you lots of miles per bar at the top, but go down quickly after that.

My record was 5.8 gallons on the 2010 (998 engine) at 184 miles. The refill light was on for about 35 miles at that time.

I try not to push the limits. Fill for both Spyders is right around 150.
    my best has been 6.31 gallons (yes I know it's only supposed to be 6.1) and had 195 miles commuting to and from work. I fill till I can't get any more in and the level is just above the lower ring. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

Al
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    I fill till I can't get any more in and the level is just above the lower ring. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!
    You certainly are free to do whatever you want.
    But you NEED to understand that you are pushing your luck by continuing to do that.

Spyder Garage

Default 13 GUAGES

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    You certainly are free to do whatever you want.
    But you NEED to understand that you are pushing your luck by continuing to do that.

How about some splaning please. No gas smell unless it overflows down the side. Thought they had fixed this overflow to the evaporative canisters problem???

Al
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    How about some splaning please. No gas smell unless it overflows down the side. Thought they had fixed this overflow to the evaporative canisters problem???
    I am making an assumption here but I don't think there can be a total fix......because the fumes it is supposed to capture comes from the top of the gas tank, most often from a vent in or near the filler neck.

This is not a problem just on motorcycles.
    It has been a problem for YEARS on all kinds of cars too.

And the fuller you try to get it, the higher the odds that you will flinch or the valve on the nozzle will stick just for a second and you will have enough gas splash out to have the fumes ignite on the hot engine or the pipes.

I have seen one bike go up in flames at a gas station.
    I don't want to see or hear about another.