Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Enclosed trailer advice

Wife and I will be heading out in a RV full time. We will be taking a Spyder RT Limited and a Harley Ultra Classic. I am in the market for an enclosed trailer. I would love an 8x12 but might have to settle for a 7x14. Anyone have any recommendations on trailer manufacturers I should be looking at? And other than Craigslist, is there a good place to look for a used trailer for sale?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by viiiball View Post
    WAnd other than Craigslist, is there a good place to look for a used trailer for sale?
    I don't have much faith in Craigslist; you have to be too careful not to get scammed.......or worse.

Look for local trailer dealers. There probably are some that you just haven't noticed.

And, from some recent experience, see if you can find one with an extra foot or so ON THE TOP. Makes it much easier to ride the machines into the trailer without taking the top of your head off.

Also, don't depend on measurements alone. Do a "test load" to be absolutely sure that they will fit.......with enough room left over to tie them down GOOD.

Spyder Garage

Wells Cargo and Look are two very good quality brands and dealers are Nation Wide.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Neo brand

I went with an enclosed Neo v nose all aluminum. 7x16, very lightweight tandem axle, will fit Spyder and brp trailer no problem, so it should fit a Spyder and Harley. Your welcome to come on up and check it out, and if you like I'm only 10 miles from the local Neo dealer, great place to deal with.

http://www.jprserviceinc.com/
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default our trailer experience

Just my 2 cents worth here.

As others have said make sure both bikes will fit in what ever you choose and the RV can pull the weight of trailer and both bikes comfortably.

We just sold our 7x12 v nose and it held the Ultra Classic great but there was definitely no room for much of anything else other than narrowly walking around the bike. You need e-tracks to tie off the load even with a top grade wheel chock. I used a harbor freight wheel chock and it worked perfect but I also mounted e tracks in the floor down the each side of the bike to assure the load didn't shift. I ordered our trailer with a 7" interior so I had plenty of head room inside.

Our trailer had rear drop door to use as ride in ramp,as well as a side entry door, electric trailer brakes, torsion axles which rode smoother that leaf springs. I mounted a wireless camera in the nose of the trailer to monitor the load going down the road which was great to have.

If I was going to buy another trailer I would spend the money on an aluminum trailer as they are much lighter and easier on the fuel expense. RYDE SAFE and ENJOY

Ks phone 209.jpgKs phone 215.jpgKs phone 216.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Whatever size, check the width of the ramp door opening! That's going to be the critical dimension.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

We test fitted a 2014 RTS and a Victory Cross Country Tour in a 7x14 V-nose. They just barely fit. Had to angle the Vic just right. The trailer dealer said a 7x16 was only a couple of hundred more. We tried one in stock and it was much better. The brand was Diamond Cargo. Dealer also said that on that brand, the 7x16 had a stronger frame and was well suited for a weight distribution type setup. They said they had a customer who had a huge problem with the 7x14 and a WDH.

We have towed twice from Florida to New York. Turns out we did not need a WDH when properly setup by dealer. Well worth the extra couple hundred bucks for the 7x16 especially when you are checking the tie downs on the road and need the space to snug them up.
    2020 RTL Chrome Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you

Thank you to all that responded. I appreciate each and every hint. Its always good to learn from others experience.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We're gonna cheat: we're buying a Class C Toyhauler.
    The Spyder will JUST fit in the garage...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Axle upgrade

Most single trailers come with a #3500 axle. And most offer an upgrade to a #5200 axle. If you're thinking single axle your gross weight with the trailer will be nearly maxed out.
    I got a 7 X 14 trailer with the upgraded 5200 lb axle, Upgraded radial tires, made by RC trailers for $3,200 out the door. Do not under any circumstances get a trailer with bias tires as they only last about 1000 miles. They all wear on the outside edge. If it's a big Trailer dealer, they'll have real radial tires in stock. Always get radial tires for trailers.
    If your not fussy about color, always ask for the oldest new trailer on the lot as they are paying interest after 90 days if it doesn't sell. I buy a lot of trailers and I hope this helps?

Wife and I will be heading out in a RV full time. We will be taking a Spyder RT Limited and a Harley Ultra Classic. I am in the market for an enclosed trailer. I would love an 8x12 but might have to settle for a 7x14. Anyone have any recommendations on trailer manufacturers I should be looking at? And other than Craigslist, is there a good place to look for a used trailer for sale?

Spyder Garage

Default This is

great advise!!!!!!!! I bought a 7x12 tall boy, single axle Hawthorn in 2010 to house my 2010RTSE5. I pulled it with my 26 foot motor home until 2016 when I bought a condo in Florida.
    During the course of time & travels I broke the leaf springs on several occasions and finally had to upgrade everything to the 5200 lb rating.
    I also went through several tires, even at the higher rating and proper inflation they would de laminate and then explode, ripping off the aluminum fenders every time.
    Spend the few extra dollars and follow his good advise!!!!! It is a major PIA to have to do repairs along the EWAY!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    Most single trailers come with a #3500 axle. And most offer an upgrade to a #5200 axle. If you're thinking single axle your gross weight with the trailer will be nearly maxed out.
    I got a 7 X 14 trailer with the upgraded 5200 lb axle, Upgraded radial tires, made by RC trailers for $3,200 out the door. Do not under any circumstances get a trailer with bias tires as they only last about 1000 miles. They all wear on the outside edge. If it's a big Trailer dealer, they'll have real radial tires in stock. Always get radial tires for trailers.
    If your not fussy about color, always ask for the oldest new trailer on the lot as they are paying interest after 90 days if it doesn't sell. I buy a lot of trailers and I hope this helps?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Would that be the Thor class C Toy Hauler Bob? Looks like a great set up.

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pretty much what I just did but mine is a used A hauler.
    Are you buying new ?
    Used C toy haulers are scarce as hens teeth.

I have plenty of room in mine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A 7' width trailer will not handle the RT and FLHT-bikes. Spyders are 5' width and those with bags are 4' plus at the rear, so side-by-side placement is not an option. If you prefer a 7' width, then a 16' length plus a v-nose will allow end-to-end positioning.

Pulling behind an RV allows an 8' width with no real penalty for wind resistance; I pulled an 8' wide trailer behind a van for a while and it was a real chore due to the frontal area. Height is a similar no-penalty concern behind the RV; pulling behind a van or pickup it is a concern for wind resistance and I prefer a lower ceiling height (6' or less). I would recommend a tandem axle over a single axle, given the same load capacity, for bikes or boats: balance, smoothness, handling of road potholes, etc. The tradeoff is an increase in difficulty in tight maneuvering by hand such as in the garage or driveway.

Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Iron Horse makes a wide Body model that should do the job.

https://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/mo...rcyle-trailer/

Mike T picked one up this year: PM him about it!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-21-2017 at 11:09 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Would that be the Thor class C Toy Hauler Bob? Looks like a great set up.

​Jack
    Yup! We bought the Outlaw...

thor-outlaw.jpgOutlaw 29-H with bike.jpg58c50122d858c57b5a9509ea9a5403ed--dsl-new-class.jpg
    A 2018 model year rig.
    We pick it up this Saturday; I wonder how much blood I'll need to sell, in order to pay for it?
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-21-2017 at 01:15 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Iron Horse makes a wide Body model that should do the job.

https://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/mo...rcyle-trailer/

Mike T picked one up this year: PM him about it!
    Mike T here,
    I don't think the standard Wide Body will hold an RT AND a Ultra Classic. My RT Limited fits with some room to walk around and tie the trike down. They just started marketing an enclosed 2-axle Slingshot Hauler. I don't know the dimensions. Just call Ironhorse and talk with them. I/We love the clamshell top and it's pulls easy with my 2010 Highlander with trailer tow pckage.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tanks A Lot 02.jpg

I saw the outside dimension as 102", and made an assumption...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup! We bought the Outlaw...
    In many respects, no doubt, similar to the Damon (Thor) Outlaw A that I got.

It doesn't look very long. Mine is 36' but since it is a "bull nose" none of that length is take up with a cab.
    How long is yours ? Are you SURE that the Spyder will fit ??

If you haven't yet, you really SHOULD actually put it IN there once before you hand over the check.

Spyder Garage

Default 8.5 x 16

I ended up getting an aluminum dual axle 8.5 x 16 v-nose. Hauled the RTL and trailer home though I had to angle the trailer. Getting ready to prep it to haul the RTL and my BMW R1200RT. Will let you know how that works but it should be fine!
    Gutsplitter
    St. Maries, ID
    2022 RT-L
    2015 RT-L for wife
    Sold all the 2 wheelers
    Retirements coming........

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    How long is yours ? Are you SURE that the Spyder will fit ??
    If you haven't yet, you really SHOULD actually put it IN there once before you hand over the check.
    It's actually very simple Math...
    The garage is nine feet deep: the Spyder is only 8'9"...
    Tight: but a fit!

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer length + V nose for 2 Spyders

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    A 7' width trailer will not handle the RT and FLHT-bikes. Spyders are 5' width and those with bags are 4' plus at the rear, so side-by-side placement is not an option. If you prefer a 7' width, then a 16' length plus a v-nose will allow end-to-end positioning.

Pulling behind an RV allows an 8' width with no real penalty for wind resistance; I pulled an 8' wide trailer behind a van for a while and it was a real chore due to the frontal area. Height is a similar no-penalty concern behind the RV; pulling behind a van or pickup it is a concern for wind resistance and I prefer a lower ceiling height (6' or less). I would recommend a tandem axle over a single axle, given the same load capacity, for bikes or boats: balance, smoothness, handling of road potholes, etc. The tradeoff is an increase in difficulty in tight maneuvering by hand such as in the garage or driveway.

Wayne
    "The Spyders are 8 feet 9 inches each. Two of them end to end are 17 feet 6 inches. A 16 foot length trailer with a 2 foot nose is 18 feet total length which is too short for two Spyders. A 3 foot nose would give you a 19 foot length, still a bit tight for 2 Spyders.
    I am thinking an 18 foot trailer for my needs + nose. Would appreciate anyones thoughts on this. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default ??????

I have a 7x14 enclosed and I cant see how you could get both in at the same time,theres no way

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jdiamond View Post
    "The Spyders are 8 feet 9 inches each. Two of them end to end are 17 feet 6 inches. A 16 foot length trailer with a 2 foot nose is 18 feet total length which is too short for two Spyders. A 3 foot nose would give you a 19 foot length, still a bit tight for 2 Spyders.
    I am thinking an 18 foot trailer for my needs + nose. Would appreciate anyones thoughts on this. Thanks.
    I PM some one on facebook that was selling their 18FT plus Vnose length; They haul two spyder F3Limiteds in it and it works great. the lspecs are was 7FT wide X 18FT long bed plus the length of Vnose. She didnt give me total length .
    The trailer is aluminum.
    This is what I will be purchasing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's actually very simple Math...
    The garage is nine feet deep: the Spyder is only 8'9"...
    Tight: but a fit!
    I don't know why I waste my time sometimes.

Ever heard the old carpenters adage: Measure twice, cut once ??
    I bet you haven't even actually measured the spyder once, have you ??
    Nor actually measured the usable space inside the garage either.....have you ??

I wish you luck.
    My 70 years of experience making mistakes like that tells me that an inch and a half on each end is NOT enough space to just take for granted.
    Also hit a bad bump and it could move more than an inch and a half......no matter how good you have it tied down.

Please do keep us posted on how this works out.
    Others will find the information useful, I'm sure.