Spyder Garage

Post electronic problems ?

Had a slight fender bender 5 weeks ago, took the dealer 4 weeks to get to it. Ever since the accident, i have had electronic problems, mainly, immediately after the accident, the first time I turned on the key the screen was white with colored lines running vertical, waited 2 minutes and turned the key on and, it immediately went into limp mode. I drove the rt home and, had it flat bedded to the nearest dealer. After 4 weeks they finally got to working on it. The tech. said when he went to bring it into the shop the battery was very low, so he put it on the charger overnight. Brought it into the shop the next day and, said the battery was NO good ( battery is less than 2 years old ) so, he cleared all the faults in the computer. Picker it up and, have had the same problems ever since. I has NEVER failed to start since the battery was replaced less than 2 years ago. Even now it starts normally but, still the screen goes goofy several times a day. I am going to put a volt meter on it today and, check the voltage the battery voltage. Anyone have ANY ideas. I would change the battery but, that is a 3 - 4 hour job.
    Last edited by johnphipps; 08-20-2017 at 11:15 AM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ISSUES

Quote Originally Posted by johnphipps View Post
    Had a slight fender bender 5 weeks ago, took the dealer 4 weeks to get to it. Ever since the accident, i have had electronic problems, mainly, immediately after the accident, the first time I turned on the key the screen was white with colored lines running vertical, waited 2 minutes and turned the key on and, it immediately went into limp mode. I drove the rt home and, had it flat bedded to the nearest dealer. After 4 weeks they finally got to working on it. The tech. said when he went to bring it into the shop the battery was very low, so he put it on the charger overnight. Brought it into the shop the next day and, said the battery was NO good ( battery is less than 2 years old ) so, he cleared all the faults in the computer. Picker it up and, have had the same problems ever since. I has NEVER failed to start since the battery was replaced less than 2 years ago. Even now it starts normally but, still the screen goes goofy several times a day. I am going to put a volt meter on it today and, check the voltage the battery voltage. Anyone have ANY ideas. I would change the battery but, that is a 3 - 4 hour job.
    Sorry to here about this ... But it's another WONDERFUL DEALER story ....NOT ............. Mike ........... The ads Dealers must be using for help wanted probably start with " only Total idiots should apply "

Spyder Garage

Question Electronic problems!

Sounds like you had an impact that knocked one or more connectors loose, I'd start with the connectors to the display, ECU, and particularly the battery ground connection to the frame, relays and fuses being seated in the connectors. The dealer tech should have done this already but I doubt that he did. Try a different dealer also!

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...😠

Don't see what ryde we're talking about nor where/how your fender bender happened . Would help give us an idea of where to look. Newer modle battery swap is quite easy older models not so much. Would start with the cluster (instrument panel) hook up as mentioned, battery connections ground connections fuses and relay seating. Then depending on what came off and what was replaced you could back track and see if something is loose...electronics is challenging...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black