Spyder Garage

Default A penny for your thoughts

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess he made his point (which was?) and got his 15 minutes of fame to boot!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

WOW!!
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Spyder Garage

Default Who actually was "punished"...

...by his actions? The BMV will still continue its business of collecting fees. What was his point? He owed the money. The only ones punished were the clerks who had to take time from other customers to count the pennies. He may feel the victor in this but nothing will change at the BMV. IMHO - he wasted time and money ($2000 of his own, according to the video) and business goes on... my 2 cents...

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

Default Really. ...😲

that was an expensive point
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Some folks just can't see the trees

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default What an A$$...........

Payback can be he!! and I'm sure the motor vehicle department employees won't forget him anytime soon.

Spyder Garage

I'll match your penny and raise you one. Here is my .02 worth.

A great way to protest something that he believed in. Nobody got hurt, no one was called names. Obviously, it was not the money that mattered. It cost almost as much for him to prove his point.

Surprised that DMV did not make an "issue" of the extra labor and just refuse his unconventional method of payment.

I will just say "Good for him."

When in the leather business, I processed mail orders. Got back an "amount due" in pennies. It came in a big envelope and postage due. Guess they told me.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-18-2017 at 04:23 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It was a crappy thing to do the the employees...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I agree that it wasn't fair to the employees, but the taxes in VA are ridiculous and bordering on unconstitutional. They charge sales tax when you buy a vehicle, then they continue to charge you personal property tax every year you own it. 4.5% sales tax, then any new vehicle you buy is going to be $1000+ a year for the first few years. The amount you pay is based on what the state decides the value of your car is. As far as I can tell, it isn't based on any of the normal sources of valuing a vehicle. It includes anything with a license plate, including trailers.

Now... If everyone in the entire state paid with pennies, maybe they would get the point!

Spyder Garage

That'd never happen here, cos back before we changed to decimal currency & we all learned to song 'Out go the Pounds, the Shillings, & the Pence, and in come the Dollars a-and the Cents' waaay back on the 14th of February 1966; someone here in Aus got smart when they drew up the new laws around what is 'legal tender' & what it's legit to use as money for & up to what value..... So all our lower denomination coins have a limit on the amount for which they are 'legal tender' & legally acceptable for - I don't recall exactly what the lmits were & I can't be bothered looking it up now, but when we still had them it was something like $1 for 1 & 2 cent coins, it's still about $5 for 5 & 10 cent coins, $10 for 20 & 50 cent coins, $20 for $1 & $2 coins, and we even have similar limits on the lower denomination notes......

So anyone trying the same thing here, & rocking up with 6 wheelbarrow loads of coins like that to pay a tax bill or anything would rapidly become even more pissed off once they discovered that the only places all those coins are legal tender here is at the Reserve Bank or the Australian Mint!! Even our 'normal' banks don't HAVE to take them or exchange them, & if push came to shove & someone got stroppy or pedantic about it all, said person could be arrested for even trying to pay with something that was 'not legal tender'!

So when it comes to that particular vid, us Aussies really can roll our eyes & say to each other with feeling, 'that'd only happen in the USA!'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    I agree that it wasn't fair to the employees, but the taxes in VA are ridiculous and bordering on unconstitutional. They charge sales tax when you buy a vehicle, then they continue to charge you personal property tax every year you own it. 4.5% sales tax, then any new vehicle you buy is going to be $1000+ a year for the first few years. The amount you pay is based on what the state decides the value of your car is. As far as I can tell, it isn't based on any of the normal sources of valuing a vehicle. It includes anything with a license plate, including trailers.

Now... If everyone in the entire state paid with pennies, maybe they would get the point!
    The taxes that you pay run the Governments of our Nation...
    I consider it a fair trade-off!

Our vehicle registrations are pretty fair: but we pay real estate property taxes in excess of $5000 bucks each year!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The taxes that you pay run the Governments of our Nation...
    I consider it a fair trade-off!

Our vehicle registrations are pretty fair: but we pay real estate property taxes in excess of $5000 bucks each year!
    Yeah, we have personal property tax on realestate too. It is a percentage of the value of the property. My issue isn't with paying the taxes, but rather having to pay both sales tax AND personal prosperity tax on the same item. It should just be one or the other.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When it comes time to vote; you could always take a closer look at the Candidates that look to make government smaller...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It takes all kinds ... or, as an old g'friend used to say 'whatever floats yer boat'
    2014 RTL Platinum