Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Riding in the rain

When I rode my gold wing, I wouldn't avoid the rainy weather but it wasn't enjoyable to ride in the rain on my wing. Since I've purchased my spyder, I've put more miles on it in less than a month then I put on my wing all season. It is everything I hoped it would be so far and more. I've been caught in the rain on multiple occasions and find the spyder far more stable. I really don't have a different feeling in the rain than dry conditions. Today I found myself pushing the traction control and testing its limits. It's been a blast. I feel very stable and in control in the rain on the spyder. Chris
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

Default that is great

I wondered how the machines handle in the wet weather , I have talked too folks who have been caught in big rain storms , but they did not mention the handling of the spyder , they were pretty mush soaked and just glad to be off I guess to really notice the handling...

Spyder Garage

Default Riding in rain

I completely agree with you Chris. I've had 3 wings as well as other bikes and been caught in the rain many times while on trips.
    I've only ridden the Spyder in the rain once and that was the day I was riding it home from where I bought it.
    I got an hour from home and the skys opened up and kept raining all the way home. I really did feel much more stable and safe on the Spyder than I've ever felt in the rain.
    An added bonus was that I arrived home dry (of course I didn't stop and put on my rain gear) lol.
    Anyway, after 2 weeks of ownership and 2,000 miles both my wife and I are loving it.
    My wife keeps wanting to go for a ride and I'm talking about 200 miles return (we're retired).

safe riding
    Greg
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Riding over 50 mph in more than an inch of water and you will experience hydroplaning. 's are good for that.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Hydroplaning

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Riding over 50 mph in more than an inch of water and you will experience hydroplaning. 's are good for that.
    Thanks for the heads up. It's appreciated. I guess I don't have to ask how you know this.

Greg
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
    When I rode my gold wing, I wouldn't avoid the rainy weather but it wasn't enjoyable to ride in the rain on my wing. Since I've purchased my spyder, I've put more miles on it in less than a month then I put on my wing all season. It is everything I hoped it would be so far and more. I've been caught in the rain on multiple occasions and find the spyder far more stable. I really don't have a different feeling in the rain than dry conditions. Today I found myself pushing the traction control and testing its limits. It's been a blast. I feel very stable and in control in the rain on the spyder. Chris
    I found myself the same as you. I had a 2015 Goldwing F6B and I am riding this more and really enjoy it. I have been pushing the traction control more and more. I have not rode mind in the rain yet we just have not had any. Last fall I rode 700 miles one day in rain all day. I would think the Spyder would give better protection.

Spyder Garage

I've ridden in the rain on two and three-wheelies. It doesn't bother me. Till one time on my Spyder.

It started raining hard right before a construction zone and mud was washing across the road. Very slippery! The fish-tailing settled down at 10 mph and van behind me kept a safe distance. I was soaked from going so slow, but I wasn't in a ditch.

I honestly do not think a two-wheelie would have gotten through it.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. It's appreciated. I guess I don't have to ask how you know this.

Greg
    Were it not for "nanny," I would probably not be typing this.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-17-2017 at 09:11 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default RAIN

Yeah, rain sucks. On our 39th wedding anniversary, my beautiful bride and I rode 100 miles to have lunch in Great Barrington MA. Beautiful day, & great food . Rain started just as we left the restaurant, so we donned our rain gear. Good thing, as it rained relentlessly all the way down RT 22 in NY. But I have to say that we were dry, and we felt very safe and comfortable on the Spyder. We saw some poor souls on 2 wheels with no rain gear, they did not look happy. We got home, hung up the rain gear to dry, and had a cocktail. Life is good.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Good to Hear.....

Glad your loving it. I don't go looking for rain but don't mind it at all. It's the other fools out there that worry me so I tend to avoid it....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Spyder handles rain quite well. Just be careful if there is standing water as they will hydroplane.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Yes, I've hydroplaned

I have ridden in the rain with my spyder and the back fishtails and the steering is squirrely. Hydroplaning is a problem also. This happened at speeds over 50-55mph. It's a little unnerving when it happens.

2015 RT-S Special Series
    Ultimate Seats-Tall boy with backrest and chrome gas door, Extended brake pedal, Tall Windshield, brushed chrome replaced with shiny chrome, Baja Ron anti-sway bar, Tri Axis handlebar, Rivco highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust, ISCI hand brake, Spyderpops Bumpskid, Rivco Trunk mounted double flag holder for American Flag and PA State Flag, Magic Mirrors, Can Am Accessories hitch

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The only defenses that we have against hydroplaning: Slowing down, and maintaining a constant vigil...
    Once those wheels are "floating"; you've handed the keys over to your Guardian Angel!

Spyder Garage

I walked over to another thread to say Hi to Uncle Bob but door was closed and no one was home so I walked into this one.

That's it

Spyder Garage

Default RAIN!!!!

Coming back from Cody Wy. we went through Salt Lake City. A good heavy rain hit us about Park city. With rain suits on we stayed surprising dry. The Handled great with the new General Altimax tire on the back.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    You're correct with that statement, I experienced hydroplaning a year ago, and never want to experience it again. I've owned three different wings and have never experienced hydroplaning until last year on my Spyder.
    Bruce

2014 RTS-SE6
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena BT Dongle
    Sirius Radio
    Dash bar
    Show Chrome Trunk Rack

"You know that a politician is lying if his lips are moving"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    You're correct with that statement, I experienced hydroplaning a year ago, and never want to experience it again. I've owned three different wings and have never experienced hydroplaning until last year on my Spyder.
    The width of the rear tire (among other factors), has a lot to do with it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    That's because your 'wing has traditional rounded profile tires, whereas the Spyder has the flat profile of an automobile tire.
    2014 RTL Platinum

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default Handling in the rain

This past June, I had the privilege of attending the 10th Anniversary Homecoming celebration in Valcourt QC. On the day of the Owner's Ride, the weather was just plain. It rained from the time we left the hotel in the morning, through the event, and lasted until we got back to the hotel. At times, it was torrential, with few breaks. My Spyder is a '16 RTS SS, with stock Kendas. My "Bandit" handled beautifully, with no hydroplaning or sliding at all. Never before had I ridden in such weather. Now, I know if I get caught in rainy weather (or flurries), I'll be a lot safer....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    Coming back from Cody Wy. we went through Salt Lake City. A good heavy rain hit us about Park city. With rain suits on we stayed surprising dry. The Handled great with the new General Altimax tire on the back. Kaos
    Yeah, we get some doozies here. Mostly dry climate, but when those thunderstorms hit, wow! (Just outside Park City in Oakley)
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I've been caught in the rain only a handful of times; never had a handling problem. The really neat thing is to glance down at the front tires and see the roostertails.

Another benefit of riding a Spyder vice a two-wheeler is that, once you decide to suit up, you can just pull over. On a two-wheeler, you had to search for a suitable patch of road shoulder, so you could safely put the kickstand down without it sinking into soft dirt. And hopefully, it was far enough off the road as to not present a target for oncoming traffic.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
    That was my experience this past week of riding in dark, cold, rainy conditions for over 3 hours. Never any worries about the Spyder itself handling the road - the limitations were all me.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I was just on a long trip to Spydequest in Lake George NY. 4200 miles on the F3L to NY and I hit no rain. The rear tire was worn so I had Netzley's mount a new General Altimax. I didn't hit any rain until my last day from Salina, UT to Las Vegas. Heavy rain and then clearing,then heavy rain again. Everything was fine until I hit a stream running across the interstate at 75 mph. Thanks to the nanny it was just a little swerve. Kept the speed lower and my eyes open a little wider the rest of the way home.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    Coming back from Cody Wy. we went through Salt Lake City. A good heavy rain hit us about Park city. With rain suits on we stayed surprising dry. The Handled great with the new General Altimax tire on the back. Kaos
    I'm glad I had the Altimax on my Spyder for the return trip from Tuolumne, instead of the almost bald OEM Kenda. Not a hint of traction loss.
    2014 RTL Platinum