Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SE5 - I just caught up :(

Well after over 5,000km of Trouble free shifting, my '08 SE5 started to "sputter". She wouldn't shift out of 1st. not even into Neutral.
    After it warmed up it was OK. The next couple of days were OK and then it did it again, alright when warmed up also.

I will be bringing my Spyder in for the 6,000km service next Wednesday and will have it looked at, but was wondering if the problem that most of you with the SE5 have had were sporatic, or consistant?

I am hoping to be able to relay some info to the dealer when I go in next week.

Spyder Garage

What do you consider 'warmed up' ?

I was told not to ride until you hit 1-2 bars.

Spyder Garage

Default Not shifting now

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    What do you consider 'warmed up' ?

I was told not to ride until you hit 1-2 bars.
    After riding for about 10 - 15 minutes (1st gear, because it would not shift) the shifting would start to work. The shifter cuts the engine, but just doesn't go into second gear. Just back to 1st. I try shifting around 5K rpm or less so it doesn't "tach it up" if the shift is not made.

Bringing into service tomorrow (appointment for Wednesday for 6,000 km service if they can't fit it in). Today it shifted and then stuck in Reverse. I "wrenched" it into gear, as per the manual and made it home in first gear. Pain in the A$$ but hope to have it all solved this week. Fuses are OK. I don't think that a relay is involved, is it?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Did you change the tranny oil filter at the 600-mile oil change? Though the manual calls for changing it every 12,000 miles, a change at the break-in oil change would seem to be a good idea. My tech thinks it should be chnaged every oil change, which would make a pricy operation even more expensive.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Denzer View Post
    Did you change the tranny oil filter at the 600-mile oil change? Though the manual calls for changing it every 12,000 miles, a change at the break-in oil change would seem to be a good idea. My tech thinks it should be chnaged every oil change, which would make a pricy operation even more expensive.
    Thanks Pete,
    Just checked my invoice and the only fluids changed was the oil (and filter).
    Brakes, Tires (& pressure), coolant, and fault codes checked (none)

That was it - 1 1/2 hours labour.
    The trouble only just started, so hopefully they switch a module or something and we're good to go.

Good suggestion about the tranny fluid though, it seems to have to heat up to allow the shift to happen.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Denzer View Post
    The Tranny filter IS supposed to be changed at the 600 mile service, then at 12,000 mile intervals after that.

Spyder Garage

If your gear position sensor has not been replaced, that is the first place that I would look. My SE5 was sticking in one gear or another about every 100 miles or so. After the GPS replacement, it has only stuck in neutral twice in the last 1200 miles.
    Vidi, Vici, Veni!

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

my has done it when its warm or hot from driving all day

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheBadger View Post
    Thanks Gary,
    I have copied the May 7th notice and will bring it to my dealer. I used my B.E.S.T. and had my Spyder put on a flatbed to get it serviced.
    As per Lamonster's note, i am not sure if it is the grounding because the Parking Brake Beeper still works. Still it will not hurt to have the ground put on. This forum is awesome for this information and such a fast turnaround. Not to mention as up to date as a couple of days after a "dealer notice". can't thank you guys enough.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Star Cruiser View Post
    Well after over 5,000km of Trouble free shifting, my '08 SE5 started to "sputter". She wouldn't shift out of 1st. not even into Neutral.
    After it warmed up it was OK. The next couple of days were OK and then it did it again, alright when warmed up also.

I will be bringing my Spyder in for the 6,000km service next Wednesday and will have it looked at, but was wondering if the problem that most of you with the SE5 have had were sporatic, or consistant?

I am hoping to be able to relay some info to the dealer when I go in next week.
    mine is intermittent....never know when its gonna happen

Spyder Garage

A couple of days ago I was running through the gears getting up to speed and the Spyder wouldn't go into 5th gear. After a second or two it finally kicked on into 5th but the lull when the throttle shut down ate all my speed and I had to downshift back to 4th and get back up to speed again. When I shifted to 5th after that everything was fine.

Rode the Interstate into Sacramento to go to work today (50 miles) no problems. Ran great all the way home too. I'm at almost 5500 miles so I guess I will try to crank up the miles and get service done before heading to Los Angeles. Hope to avoid any troubles on the trip.