Thread: Rats

Spyder Garage

Default Rats

Hey Everyone, Well I had parked my 2013 Spyder RT in a little shed about a week, went to ride and it would not start, so I figured it was in the start button and handle bars , like the last time, had it in shop for that a couple years ago for that, so I loaded it up on my trailor, and took it to Mountain Motorsports in Conyers Ga, they called me the next day, and told me I had a Rodent problem, and said the Spyder Tech could fix it , a new wireing harness was going to be 2,500.00 by itself, so I said go ahead to save some Money, Mountain Motorsports saved me a lot of Money, and I wanted to give a Shout out to riders in and around Ga, their tech is wonderful.

Midnightbreeze

Spyder Garage

Default Bounce Sheets

Ok, this is going to sound strange; Put Bounce Fabric Softener sheets in different locations inside you Spyder when storing in sheds etc. They are easy to stuff in different places of the trike. They emit a smell that is very unpleasant to rodents. It works, I swear

Some wiring is made of Soy-based compounds that rats love. Or, sometimes they just like to chew.

Anyway, try the Bounce sheets....just remember where you stuff them before you ride or you will smell like a moving perfume factory
    Last edited by HankD; 08-17-2017 at 06:24 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default rats

Quote Originally Posted by HankD View Post
    Ok, this is going to sound strange; Put Bounce Fabric Softener sheets in different locations inside you Spyder when storing in sheds etc. They are easy to stuff in different places of the trike. They emit a smell that is very unpleasant to rodents. It works, I swear

Some wiring is made of Soy-based compounds that rats love. Or, sometimes they just like to chew.

Anyway, try the Bounce sheets....just remember where you stuff them before you ride or you will smell like a moving perfume factory
    Thanks Mr. HankD. I will try that, anything that will work , keep them out of my bike, your suggestion is appreciated !!!

midnightbreeze

Spyder Garage

Learn something new everyday. Thanks

2016 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your Rat problem. My house is next to an old 500acre citrus grove that is slowly getting developed. For years we had Mice and Rat problems and a ton of gopher snakes, hawks and owls to help out. I had a mouse or rat chew through my TPS sensor in my Ford SVT and decided to try the below after many failures. I refuse to use chemicals like Orkin etc. The last 5-6 years i have the below in my house, my garage where i have my Ford SVT that i rarely drive and have never seen a turd one. Great stuff and doesn't stink.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...z378p3by_e_p20
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Ultimate Seats ST Midrider
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Show Chrome Brake Pedal Extension
    Excelvan X-Grip Cell Phone Holder w/USB Charger
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:
    6'-1" - 205lbs - 32"IS - 34"Reach

Spyder Garage

Moth balls are a great deterrent also. Placed in plastic bags with holes punched in and hang around the bike. No moths, rats, or other critters.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I've had the same problem. They got the wires to the fuel injection. On my ST1300 they also did it on my Corvette. I do not know why they go after the fuel injection wires only in my case. We put out a lot of Decon and mouse traps with peanut butter on it

Spyder Garage

If your shed or garage has electricity or you can run an extension there, those ultrasonic plug-in pest repellers they sell at Home Depot worked for me. I had mice and even a squirrel trying to move into my detached 12x16 shed that's my garage. I also left a helmet in there and birds had built a nest inside it. Been about 10 years now and no problems at all. Safe for pets.

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good advice
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cmbspyderrss View Post
    Sorry to hear about your Rat problem. My house is next to an old 500acre citrus grove that is slowly getting developed. For years we had Mice and Rat problems and a ton of gopher snakes, hawks and owls to help out. I had a mouse or rat chew through my TPS sensor in my Ford SVT and decided to try the below after many failures. I refuse to use chemicals like Orkin etc. The last 5-6 years i have the below in my house, my garage where i have my Ford SVT that i rarely drive and have never seen a turd one. Great stuff and doesn't stink.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...z378p3by_e_p20
    +1 I use this stuff for winter storage. Never had a problem.

Gunner