Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: JUST READ THIS

Spyder Garage

Default JUST READ THIS

Second item in the column. Don't know where this information came from, so I can't vouch for its authenticity. Just wanted to put it out there.

http://ride-ct.com/if-you-had-asked-me-6/
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

You did not think this bubble would last forever did you.
    Already looking at places I could place the anchor line when I start using it for a boat anchor!

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default How to help Can-Am drive sales and acceptance of innovative Spyders?

"...at least one dealer is dismayed by what he says are the plummeting sales of the Can-Am Spyder.... sales of the three-wheeler have totally tanked and he suggests the high price tag is part of the reason. For instance, the starting price of a Spyder F3-T is more than $24,000. Could it be that the Spyder is just a niche product and that builder BRP over-estimated market demand?"

I'm a little concerned about this. So is my local dealer. I think it's incumbent upon enthusiasts to actively promote Spyders in our communities. More rides, more parade participation, etc.. Other venerable marques as well as innovative rides have failed in the marketplace and I'd hate to see our bikes do the same.

I don't think the constant criticism of Can-Am and dealerships I read here on the forum is helping the situation.

Ideas?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While nothing lasts forever: I'm not ready to believe that the crows are already circling the carcass.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He says "at least one dealer", I'm not going to give this article a lot of credibility based on second hand information from one dealer.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    "

I don't think the constant criticism of Can-Am and dealerships I read here on the forum is helping the situation.

Ideas?
    Sometimes the truth hurts.
    I think that owners are obliged to tell the truth about their experiences.

The high price has got to hurt.
    I got mine DESPITE the negative comments.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    While nothing lasts forever: I'm not ready to believe that the crows are already circling the carcass.

its OK if Crows are circling, worry if the Vultures come in for a snack

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    "...at least one dealer is dismayed by what he says are the plummeting sales of the Can-Am Spyder.... sales of the three-wheeler have totally tanked and he suggests the high price tag is part of the reason. For instance, the starting price of a Spyder F3-T is more than $24,000. Could it be that the Spyder is just a niche product and that builder BRP over-estimated market demand?"

I'm a little concerned about this. So is my local dealer. I think it's incumbent upon enthusiasts to actively promote Spyders in our communities. More rides, more parade participation, etc.. Other venerable marques as well as innovative rides have failed in the marketplace and I'd hate to see our bikes do the same.

Ideas?
    Great machines sell themselves.

One of the biggest problems Can-Am has is both the lack of dealerships and skilled technicians. Too many times I've read in this forum the stupidity a dealer has put a Spyder owner through for a common problem. I've even read the word "stealer" instead of dealer. My dealer has ONE tech who is very good but if he leaves I'm screwed. Then there is the quality side to the Spyder, anything I buy I give it 3 strikes and your out. If I experience a tow and two issues that require trailering my bike to a dealer they will never see my face again. The days of poor quality/reliability/customer service are over, at least for me.

Lets face it, the demographic spike for Spyders (from BRP) are clearly those who are in their 60s, disabled and women. This demographic statistically speaking are not at their peak, financially speaking, to throw away $30,000 on toys. People in their 60s are slowing up in life, disabled people have physical issues that require less income and more personal expenses. Women make less from career choices, child rearing and are physically weaker....on average. Two wheel rides are cheaper to buy, cheaper to fix and dealerships, depending on brand, are everywhere. My thoughts.

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Based solely on personal observation, my wife and I are seeing a lot more Spyders on the road this year than ever. Obviously we don't know why or if they are just traveling through our area but our impression is that they are increasing in number. I know this isn't very scientific.
    I also wouldn't take the "quote" with any degree of authenticity based upon the source. As with all things there will be a limit to their growth in sales at some point.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    Great machines sell themselves.

One of the biggest problems Can-Am has is both the lack of dealerships and skilled technicians. Too many times I've read in this forum the stupidity a dealer has put a Spyder owner through for a common problem. I've even read the word "stealer" instead of dealer. My dealer has ONE tech who is very good but if he leaves I'm screwed. Then there is the quality side to the Spyder, anything I buy I give it 3 strikes and your out. If I experience a tow and two issues that require trailering my bike to a dealer they will never see my face again. The days of poor quality/reliability/customer service are over, at least for me.

Lets face it, the demographic spike for Spyders (from BRP) are clearly those who are in their 60s, disabled and women. This demographic statistically speaking are not at their peak, financially speaking, to throw away $30,000 on toys. People in their 60s are slowing up in life, disabled people have physical issues that require less income and more personal expenses. Women make less from career choices, child rearing and are physically weaker....on average. Two wheel rides are cheaper to buy, cheaper to fix and dealerships, depending on brand, are everywhere. My thoughts.

I don't think so but that's just me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lets face it, the demographic spike for Spyders (from BRP) are clearly those who are in their 60s, disabled and women. This demographic statistically speaking are not at their peak, financially speaking, to throw away $30,000 on toys. People in their 60s are slowing up in life, disabled people have physical issues that require less income and more personal expenses. Women make less from career choices, child rearing and are physically weaker....on average.
    Let's recap your statement here: We're all old, sick, and economically disadvantaged...

Did I miss anything?

Spyder Garage

There were a ton of Spyders (relatively speaking) at the Sturgis Rally this year... we saw way more this year vs last year.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We have taken 3 trips of 5,000 miles plus on the spyder. First trip about 6-8 spyders on the trip, second trip about 12, this last trip this year we stopped counting at 30, then we went to the Deadwood Rally and saw many more.

I have read that Harley, and Honda sales are slumping also.

Who knows what news is true now days.

I love my spyder and love to ride it.

In fact, that is what I am going to do.

As BOB says...Worry less ride more!!!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it...

Survey's can be adjusted to your liking. If this writer is not fond of the spyder or three wheeler in general then he will check with dealers that have found the spyder not to be their most profitable line. We have seen many dealers drop spyders because they are a slower seller. They are up there in price but then so are the Harley's, Vision's and Indian's so that is not the main factor. So to be fair they need to dig deeper.... Where they are geographically, weatherwise, populationwise etc...all make a big difference. Considering they have dropped three models would make it seem like they are going down....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I'm going to drink a quart of Geritol, hobble out of my shack, help my poor weak wife onto the back of the Spyder, and go for a nice long adventure!

Just kidding, I'm not married

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    I don't think so but that's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Let's recap your statement here: We're all old, sick, and economically disadvantaged...

Did I miss anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by HankD View Post
    I'm going to drink a quart of Geritol, hobble out of my shack, help my poor weak wife onto the back of the Spyder, and go for a nice long adventure!

Just kidding, I'm not married
    Wow...this is feedback. Ok, I'll admit I made it all up.

BRP was wrong in their demographics from actual sales, what misogynists and anti-elderly they are!

The older crowd are running marathons and its the younger crowd experiencing degenerative diseases.

Women earn less then men cause of um huh hmmm duh hum aaaaa..........patriarchy?

The real money is with the older crowd and is why the government refuses to increase social security benefits.....smart government!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Road-Kill;1290869]Wow...this is feedback. Ok, I'll admit I made it all up. BRP was wrong in their demographics from actual sales, what misogynists and anti-elderly they are! The older crowd are running marathons and its the younger crowd experiencing degenerative diseases. Women earn less then men cause of um huh hmmm duh hum aaaaa..........patriarchy? The real money is with the older crowd and is why the government refuses to increase social security benefits.....smart government! /QUOTE]

Where can I get Can-Am official marketing studies? That might prove helpful with a project I'm working on. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default If...

If the spyder line from BRP goes under I predict it will be because of BRP's failed dealer network and their lack of communication with their customers. Dealers are the frontline contact with the buyer and that's where success/failure starts or ends. I/we have heard of so many dealer BS stories on this and other sites that it's no wonder BRP's spyder line of products has a shaded reputation for reliability. When an owner can't get a straight answer from a dealer he has no recourse because BRP will not speak to the general public regarding problems with their products. I've had and ongoing issue with my spyder and fortunately my dealer has been doing their best to resolve the problem but BRP is not helping much. I first tried to phone BRP with a request for help and I was turned down in less than a minute. They do not take phone calls from the public requesting help. I sent BRP a registered letter requesting assistance and still no response. Nothing, nada. BRP will not communicate with customers who have problems/issues with their products which in turn leads one to believe that once you've made a purchase you are no longer important to them. I can't tell you how many mailings and emails I received from BRP wanting me to purchase a newer spyder, but they refuse to help me with the one I own.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Cool

I don't think brp markets the Spyders that well. Most people look at mine like its the 1st one they have ever seen. If the average age is 60, that is because of the machines available. F3's with turbos can capture some of the market of the 30's / 40's crowd.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    If the spyder line from BRP goes under I predict it will be because of BRP's failed dealer network and their lack of communication with their customers.
    I disagree. If the Spyder line fails it will be because of low market acceptance. In the ten years of existence, I believe the last number from BRP was 100,000 units sold worldwide of all the different models. That low a volume takes a huge investment by the manufacturer to sustain, and it's difficult to get dealers to make the necessary investment in local marketing, tech training, etc. It also makes it just about impossible to lower the price because of the massive overhead and direct costs borne by the manufacturer spread over so few units.

Polaris dropped the Victory line in favor of Indian because of low volume. Indian itself has gone through several owners before Polaris. And, those are traditional bikes with brand loyalty (especially the Indian).

The BRP dealers handle a number of brands and types of adventure machines (ATV's, snowmobiles, personal watercraft, etc) with not much commonality between them. They are going to put their effort and investment into the brands and types of machines that have the greatest local market support (i.e. buyers). For many if not most of them, the Spyder is something they are required to carry and support in order to have a dealer agreement with BRP.

These problems will only be solved when sales numbers dramatically improve. Can-Am is spending a relatively large amount of their operating budget to promote Spyders; if we really want to see Spyders thrive, not just survive, we need to help them out, not be constantly critical of their engineering and marketing efforts I think.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

... Be the best Ambassador that you can, and the sales numbers will look much better!

Spyder Garage

I thought brp just built a huge multimillion dollar expansion for the Spyder line. Wasn't there a write up about it when the 10 year celebration took place?

Spyder Garage

Just riding my 2017 RTS around is pretty effective marketing. I tend to stop a lot at dive diners and coffee shops while on a day-ride. I get a LOT of people coming up to me asking about it, cost, ride, how I like it. I see husbands and wives looking at each other and saying "we were thinking about a Slingshot, but I really like this", or, "This is really nice, I like it a lot better than the Harley trikes!". So, just do more riding and take your time with with folks that ask questions.

P.S. I forgot to mention that the kids go NUTS over the trike, dragging their parents over from across the parking lot to gawk and ask questions. Future Spyder owners!
    Last edited by HankD; 08-14-2017 at 03:14 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HankD View Post
    Just riding my 2017 RTS around is pretty effective marketing. I tend to stop a lot at dive diners and coffee shops while on a day-ride. I get a LOT of people coming up to me asking about it, cost, ride, how I like it. I see husbands and wives looking at each other and saying "we were thinking about a Slingshot, but I really like this", or, "This is really nice, I like it a lot better than the Harley trikes!". So, just do more riding and take your time with with folks that ask questions. P.S. I forgot to mention that the kids go NUTS over the trike, dragging their parents over from across the parking lot to gawk and ask questions. Future Spyder owners!
    I think this is an experience we can all relate to. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum