Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: JUST READ THIS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cheska View Post
    Hi we live on Vancouver Island BC. A few years ago you would be lucky to see a Spyder when you drove up or down the island. The only way you can basically go. This summer it is not uncommon to see 3 or 4 Spyders every time we go out. The one local dealer with 2 locations cannot keep used bikes in stock. Yes even 998's fly out of the buildings. Plus remember this is Canada where we pay much more than you do in the states for comparable items. So maybe it is demographics as far as sales. Also just a comment about California and Spyders. Many times when I read a article about California and trikes the author does not like them because you cannot lane split with a trike. Just my opinon which does not mean much. Bob
    You lucky dog! Vancouver Island!

Anyway, yes I do think it is regional and dealer-driven as far as how well the local market is developed for Spyders. I think Can-Am probably has their target demographics pretty well dialed in.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default I see quite a few spyders between 3 states I ryde

I am always traveling between PA, WV and OH. Between those 3 states I see quite a few spyders. I also see a lot of trikes. The dealer network is slim and you have to travel pretty far for service. My husband has an Indian Roadmaster and there is a problem with the slim number of dealers. In the Indian world that is changing though. I have been blessed with a great spyder with little problems thank goodness. I love my bike and between my bike and my husbands Indian we get a lot of people coming up to us. We are the odd balls of the "other" bikes out there LOL. As long as the dealers have a "good service department" which is a big problem with some of the dealers I know, BRP should stay around. Every body dissed the Slingshot when it came out because of the oddity. Niche markets will always be a smaller market. Sustaining that market means good service and advertising.

2015 RT-S Special Series
    Ultimate Seats-Tall boy with backrest and chrome gas door, Extended brake pedal, Tall Windshield, brushed chrome replaced with shiny chrome, Baja Ron anti-sway bar, Tri Axis handlebar, Rivco highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust, ISCI hand brake, Spyderpops Bumpskid, Rivco Trunk mounted double flag holder for American Flag and PA State Flag, Magic Mirrors, Can Am Accessories hitch

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crafty View Post
    I am always traveling between PA, WV and OH. Between those 3 states I see quite a few spyders. I also see a lot of trikes. The dealer network is slim and you have to travel pretty far for service. My husband has an Indian Roadmaster and there is a problem with the slim number of dealers. In the Indian world that is changing though. I have been blessed with a great spyder with little problems thank goodness. I love my bike and between my bike and my husbands Indian we get a lot of people coming up to us. We are the odd balls of the "other" bikes out there LOL. As long as the dealers have a "good service department" which is a big problem with some of the dealers I know, BRP should stay around. Every body dissed the Slingshot when it came out because of the oddity. Niche markets will always be a smaller market. Sustaining that market means good service and advertising.
    How right you are! Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    RELAX!! The sky isn't falling!
    Well......there is mounting evidence that there is another economic "bubble" forming and it's bigger than the last one.

The sky might be falling......sometime soon.

And there also is mounting evidence that the opulence that the "first world" has enjoyed for a while now might be coming to an end too.

Sorry for the downer but I think it's true.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    Lets face it, the demographic spike for Spyders (from BRP) are clearly those who are in their 60s, disabled and women. This demographic statistically speaking are not at their peak, financially speaking, to throw away $30,000 on toys. People in their 60s are slowing up in life, disabled people have physical issues that require less income and more personal expenses. Women make less from career choices, child rearing and are physically weaker....on average. Two wheel rides are cheaper to buy, cheaper to fix and dealerships, depending on brand, are everywhere. My thoughts.
    Being in their 60's is not a market depressant, IMO. It's been my observation over the past 20 years that the newly retired are the strongest contributors to an organization, such as churches, Lions Clubs, etc. They are the demographic with the most time, discretionary income, and physical well being to support organizations. That support and involvement extends to riding motorcycles and side-by-sides.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Another thing to think about is the dealer involvement. We find that the more a dealer focuses on selling Spyders the more they sell. If a dealer is expecting to give Spyders floor space and they will sell themselves, then he will have all the sales he deserves. However, if a dealer works hard to sell Spyders (and MANY do) they WILL sell Spyders. Unfortunately many dealers see Spyders as a necessary evil, they have to have them on the floor to sell them but they really don't want to put in the extra work to sell them.

We all know that the Spyder buying public is not 100% your typical motorcycle buyer, dealers must answer more questions and in some cases provide more of a "Car Buying" experience when selling a Spyder. Face it, at nearly $30K most people do not impulse buy a Spyder.... If a Dealer goes the extra mile, a serious buyer will, in most cases, return to that dealer to purchase...it's not always about price.

I can point to a few dealers that "get it" and they sell Spyders because of it... (Pitbull Powersports is a perfect example of this, their combination of product knowledge, and a willingness to provide a little more attention has made them THE source for Spyders in an ever-growing area)

It really comes down to those that work hard to sell products, can make it difficult for those not willing to put in the work, to sell the same products...

Just my .02
    2014 RT Limited , Black Current (blacked out trim)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A dealership that cares about their customers, AND the product line; will never have trouble selling and servicing bikes.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Well......there is mounting evidence that there is another economic "bubble" forming and it's bigger than the last one.

The sky might be falling......sometime soon.

And there also is mounting evidence that the opulence that the "first world" has enjoyed for a while now might be coming to an end too.

Sorry for the downer but I think it's true.
    Here is what I think is true:

http://www.markstivers.com/wordpress...is-falling.gif

Do you live your life every day planning on what bad thing may befall you?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Being in their 60's is not a market depressant, IMO. It's been my observation over the past 20 years that the newly retired are the strongest contributors to an organization, such as churches, Lions Clubs, etc. They are the demographic with the most time, discretionary income, and physical well being to support organizations. That support and involvement extends to riding motorcycles and side-by-sides.
    Are you talking about the physical well being that Road-Kill said the Spyder demographic does not have? Or, is it fiscal well being? I'm referring to post #8, where he talks about the Spyder owners being on their last leg.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great machines sell themselves. Lets face it, the demographic spike for Spyders (from BRP) are clearly those who are in their 60s, disabled and women. This demographic statistically speaking are not at their peak, financially speaking, to throw away $30,000 on toys. People in their 60s are slowing up in life, disabled people have physical issues that require less income and more personal expenses. Women make less from career choices, child rearing and are physically weaker....on average.
    There are so many discredited and simply untrue stereotypes in here, I can't believe you really mean what you are saying. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here when I say you're just 'trolling'. Don't disappoint me, now!

For the record, I'm 70 years old, in good health, financially secure and just getting started living life after military service, a career, raising a family and other obligations previously limited my ability to do so. My wife makes more money than I did before retiring and she's a lot tougher, emotionally, mentally and physically, than me.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 08-15-2017 at 06:14 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Are you talking about the physical well being that Road-Kill said the Spyder demographic does not have? Or, is it fiscal well being? I'm referring to post #8, where he talks about the Spyder owners being on their last leg.
    Physical. Not all, but most.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I SEE THE HONDA NEOWING IN MY FUTURE

Spyder Garage

The nearest cam am dealership to me has stopped stocking spyders and just sells cam am ATVs and UTVs. They have very few to no spyder accessories for sell, just ATV accessories.

It appears that the Honda Powersports dealership in the same town has been stocking less and less motorcycles too! Both dealerships are stocking more and more ATVs and UTVs. I understand that we are a rural agricultural area but seeing this and reading this tread makes me nervous about the future of spyders. Before, I was just upset that can am had discontinued production of the RS model I own. That is minor to me compared to BRP stopping production of all can am spyders!

I love my spyder and I encourage everyone that talks to me about my trike to test ride one because you can't find a more fun trike to ride in the wind! However, it is more difficult if you can't find a local dealership to test ride a spyder near me; because all they stock are ATVs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by drhunt204 View Post
    The nearest cam am dealership to me has stopped stocking spyders and just sells cam am ATVs and UTVs. They have very few to no spyder accessories for sell, just ATV accessories. It appears that the Honda Powersports dealership in the same town has been stocking less and less motorcycles too! Both dealerships are stocking more and more ATVs and UTVs. I understand that we are a rural agricultural area but seeing this and reading this tread makes me nervous about the future of spyders. Before, I was just upset that can am had discontinued production of the RS model I own. That is minor to me compared to BRP stopping production of all can am spyders! I love my spyder and I encourage everyone that talks to me about my trike to test ride one because you can't find a more fun trike to ride in the wind! However, it is more difficult if you can't find a local dealership to test ride a spyder near me; because all they stock are ATVs.
    Yes, that's the problem in many areas of the country as I see it. The solution is to license independent motorcycle dealers to sell Spyders without having to take on the rest of the BRP line.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Spyders selling more or less?

I don't know what to think after reading this thread about the future of the Can Am Spyder. I just purchased a new 2016 RT Limited left over on April 1st of this year! Is the Spyder in the recover mode or the death Mode? As you know a new Spyder RT Limited is a very expensive model. Are people like me going to lose all the money we paid for these things? Honda and Harley sales are way down! Harley is discussing closing one of their motorcycle plants! If Can Am shut down production of the Spyder, we will not be able to trade them or sell them for 10 cents on the dollar! look at Victory motorcycles, man the resale value is terrible since Polaris announced stopping production of the Victory! So if you wanted to scare me, you have!!
    Hope you have better news to share about our Spyders!! BPR needs to address this to the consumers!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by south GA Farm Boy View Post
    I don't know what to think after reading this thread about the future of the Can Am Spyder. I just purchased a new 2016 RT Limited left over on April 1st of this year! Is the Spyder in the recover mode or the death Mode? As you know a new Spyder RT Limited is a very expensive model. Are people like me going to lose all the money we paid for these things? Honda and Harley sales are way down! Harley is discussing closing one of their motorcycle plants! If Can Am shut down production of the Spyder, we will not be able to trade them or sell them for 10 cents on the dollar! look at Victory motorcycles, man the resale value is terrible since Polaris announced stopping production of the Victory! So if you wanted to scare me, you have!! Hope you have better news to share about our Spyders!! BPR needs to address this to the consumers!
    Hi, I don't think that is the message you should be taking away from this. Rather, BRP is struggling to find its footing in the American market and is saddled with the fact that the rest of the BRP line (its established brands in ATV's, personal watercraft and snowmobiles) is in a completely different market than the Spyders, but its the same old dealers, who aren't used to selling and servicing high performance road machines, that are tasked with doing so.

You should take comfort in knowing that this forum is stocked with thousands of enthusiasts, after-market suppliers and the like who are committed to Spyders becoming a dominant, if niche, player in the performance street machine marketplace. I just bought my second RT-L and I'm not concerned about the long-term survival of these machines. The brands that are floundering, like the H-D and Victory bikes, are in a saturated and shrinking market. They're the ones that should be concerned (and they are - Victory was abandoned so Polaris could replace it with the iconic Indian brand).

Don't worry - be happy you made a good choice in fun transportation that is well-designed and backed by a huge conglomerate in Canada. They'll figure things out.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately, it appears you did NOT understand the point I was making.

So mote it be!

AJ
    Just because another brand demands a premium for its trike does not mean BRP is accurate in its price. I believe the Spyder is way over priced for what you get but most other brands are as well. Motorcycles are considered a luxury so they price them as such. Do you believe a Spyder or any MC is worth that of a high priced car/suv? I dont but I bought one anyway.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Great machines sell themselves.

One of the biggest problems Can-Am has is both the lack of dealerships and skilled technicians. Too many times I've read in this forum the stupidity a dealer has put a Spyder owner through for a common problem. I've even read the word "stealer" instead of dealer. My dealer has ONE tech who is very good but if he leaves I'm screwed. Then there is the quality side to the Spyder, anything I buy I give it 3 strikes and your out. If I experience a tow and two issues that require trailering my bike to a dealer they will never see my face again. The days of poor quality/reliability/customer service are over, at least for me.

Lets face it, the demographic spike for Spyders (from BRP) are clearly those who are in their 60s, disabled and women. This demographic statistically speaking are not at their peak, financially speaking, to throw away $30,000 on toys. People in their 60s are slowing up in life, disabled people have physical issues that require less income and more personal expenses. Women make less from career choices, child rearing and are physically weaker....on average. Two wheel rides are cheaper to buy, cheaper to fix and dealerships, depending on brand, are everywhere. My thoughts.

Yep, guess I kinda, sorta fit the demographic:

"60's," Check, I'm 66
    "Disabled," We'll argue the term later, but Check - LEO injured in the line of duty.
    "Woman," Check - at least the last time I checked.

Are you saying you got these statistics from BRP? "Let's face it, the demographic spike for Spyders (from BRP) are clearly those who are in their 60s, disabled and women." As for the, "This demographic statistically speaking are not at their peak, financially speaking, to throw away $30,000 on toys." Maybe you need to get out a little more because I see a lot of 60 or older people traveling in quarter of a million dollar RVs and buying second homes in order to run away from winter. And according to GM, the average age of an individual purchasing a new Corvette is 50 and that Vette probably starts on the low end of $60,000 - definately a little more than a $30,000 Spyder.

"People in their 60s are slowing up in life." I only wish there were more hours in the day - now that I'm retired I'm busier than ever. Frankly, I would need clarification to comment on the "disabled people have physical issues that require less income and more personal expenses. I can only tell you that I'm in better shape than a lot of the 40 year olds I see limping around because I'm determined not to let this injury get the best of me.
    Just let me state that if you think 60ish is old, I've got a group of friends who would beg to differ. You sling around the word "disabled and frankly, that's a very offensive, hurtful term to render to anyone. Most of the physically challenged people I know would hardly want their life defined by such a derogatory term. I'm a person with a physical disability or physical limitation, but I am not disabled.

And don't get me started with your last comment: "Women make less from career choices, child rearing and are physically weaker....on average." Darn it.....
    I said I didn't want to get started with this comment....but I will.... "And yes, I will pull your sorry self out of your vehicle window for signing your citation "Mickey Mouse" and no, I don't think you're cute and you and your three yahoo friends can each take one of these garage bags, hopefully stay out of the traffic, fill it with litter, and then you can get back in your nice fancy air conditioned vehicle. And I see by your license you're 51 years old - guess your kids must be very proud of their Dad, huh?"

I don't ride a Spyder because I'm a woman and can't ride a two wheeler. I'm a capable, strong, physically challenged, 66 year old woman who just happens to LOVE riding a Spyder. I'll get off the soap box now and leave this little ditty.....Kathy Bates - gotta love her!

https://youtu.be/lx0z9FjxP-Y

He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Let's recap your statement here: We're all old, sick, and economically disadvantaged...

Did I miss anything?

Geez, Bob, guess it's time we did the world a favor, head out to the back 40, and just lay down and die.......

NAH!!!
    He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799

Spyder Garage

hello everybody,

I just wanted to put in my 2 cents as just a consumer about my experience (YMMV). I looked a long time for mine cause I wanted a specific model and color. I knew I could not afford new. I'll be 48 soon and there is just no way I can justify paying 30+ g's for something that may sit in the garage 3 months out of the year (I can get a damn nice BMW or Jag, Cadillac, or vet for 30+ that I could drive all year round). So when I finally did find one 2012 I paid 14,9 which I felt was reasonable. Now here is where it gets retarded. I filled out the loan paper work (Credit score is 730, good long career in law enforcement) and it was still damn near impossible to get financing. I think most banks don't want to finance them. So how do you expect the younger people to get them when financing would be all but impossible for them. I think if it does decline there are more problems all the way around besides just the dealers as most don't have that kind of cash to pay outright.

Jim

(Hope I didn't sound to retarded).
    2012 Can am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Chevy Camaro SS

Spyder Garage

Default WELL, THERE IS THIS

All may find this interesting.

http://2016.brp.com/
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LateLifeCrisis View Post
    Geez, Bob, guess it's time we did the world a favor, head out to the back 40, and just lay down and die.......

NAH!!!

I'm not done making people miserable here on Earth yet...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Double edge sword

Share Holders DEMAND investment returns, Buyers Demand better pricing. Looks like the share holders have the edge on us for some time to come.
    I found the data refreshing that we will have a support network for the foreseeable future as long as the share holders are taken care of first.

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post

Thanks.
    The line I likes the best is this one. Not a bad increase for 3 years, it sounds like controlled growth that is manageable.

It isn’t enough to grow our product lines; we also need to enhance our dealer network and increase our brand awareness. Accordingly, we added 105 new Can-Am dealers in North America this past year, improving our Can-Am side-by-side and Spyder network coverage by 28% in the past three years

2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    Unfortunately, it appears you did NOT understand the point I was making.

So mote it be!

AJ
    What Lodge brother?
    Bill W

2019 F3 LTD