Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Adventures of a Spyder buyer!

Adventures of a Spyder buyer!

Approximately one month ago, we found ourselves in the market for a new Spyder. The old one (2012 RT Ltd.) died an early and unnatural death. It burned all by itself in December of 2016! I decided I needed one more 2 wheeler in my old age so that’s what I bought. 12,000 miles in 6 months including 2 tips to the East coast convinced me of the error of my ways.

Sooooo, back to the search for a new Spyder. I diligently researched online and in person at almost all dealers in Oklahoma. Not really wanting to make a trip to Springfield I decided local (within reason) was the way to go. I settled on Morris Motorsports in Chickasha, OK as probably the best dealer/deal I was going to find.

After a bit of serious negotiation, we agreed on a machine and a price I could live with. Later that same day, I rode home on a nice charcoal colored 2017 RT Ltd. with most all the goodies. Included was a total of 7 years full warranty, trailer hitch, gap insurance and even the Tag, Tax & Title for all one price. Great deal, happy boy.

However, (ain’t it always that way?) all wasn’t good in Mudville! I noticed immediately that it just didn’t really handle right. I chalked that up, initially, to “maybe I wasn’t used to it” or something. In addition, the front tires were horribly out of balance. I also noticed a minor imperfection in the paint. After a brief conversation, they assured me it would be addressed. I agreed to make an appoint and get it back to them.

2 weeks in, we made a run up to Branson to visit friends who are also Spyder folks. We had a great weekend, rode through the Ozarks and played on the lake and such. Wunnerful time. We headed home Monday morning.

Wandering down through the mountains and enjoying the cool of the morning, I still didn’t feel that the bike was handling correctly but it was manageable. Suddenly while cruising through a series of curves, the computer went bonkers and the bike started jerking back and forth as the front wheels alternatively locked up very rapidly! Almost threw us off! Fortunately, we were only going about 35 or 40 so it shut down quickly with the left wheel locked up!

Stop, look everything over, restart the bike and very gently roll out and proceed cautiously. Everything went OK down through Tulsa and we decided to head down US75 toward home and get off the interstate. We live in Ada so the route was logical.

As I ran down the ramp to enter I40 at Henryetta, at 70 mph, it decided to do it again! Had the wife not been holding onto the hand holds, it would have thrown her off! As it was, it wrenched her back and she spend the next 2 or 3 days in pain. Chiropractor trip got her on the road to recovery. Again, we ended up with the left wheel locked up and slid to a stop just out of the traffic lane!

So, we proceeded home very cautiously at 40 mph and much slower in the curves. On Wednesday I trailered it to the dealer. After visiting with the assistant service manager, I filled out the paperwork and left the bike with the assurance that it would be checked out “in the next day or two”. Comes Monday and I haven’t heard anything so I call and speak to the asst. service manager again. All I get is a run around and no answers whatsoever. I explain that this isn’t a “some day” thing and I want answers.

On Wednesday, not having heard a word, (now they’ve had the bike a week) I ride the 90+ miles to see for myself what’s going on. No one is in the office so I walk through to see what’s happening. My bike isn’t even in the work area! It’s in the back with other bikes parked in front of it! Oops! My “not a nice guy” switch cuts in and I go up front for a word of prayer.

After a calm discussion in a quiet, controlled manner, (all 3 or 4 seconds of it) I inquire as to WTF! Actually, I kinda went “Old School Military” and explained my frustration to anyone that would listen! Believe me, they listened. I can’t stand being lied to! They are well aware of that now! Sooooo, I get introduced to the real Service Manager.

He proceeds to make the excuse that he was on vacation last week and didn’t have a clue that my bike was there or any idea what was going on. Really? You were on vacation for a week and have now been back 2 and a half days and you don’t know my bike is in your shop? Really? WTF were you doing for the first 30 minutes on Monday morning? Oh you weren’t going through the work orders to see what was going on in YOUR department? Really?

One of the sales guys tells me at that point that killing people never really works! Really? The guy standing behind the dead guy will and does pay attention! Try me! The Service Manager having realized the truth of my statement and not wanting to be either guy promises me that he will personally go pull the bike up and hook up the computer himself! I advise him that after driving home another 90+ miles I will be expecting a call with full details as to what’s going on with my bike because he really, really doesn’t want me back tomorrow morning!

As promised, he calls me as soon as I get home. Surprise! Hmmmmm, maybe I got someone’s attention! Ya think? Turns out that the bike started throwing codes like crazy! The computer in a Spyder keeps all the codes forever. He said there were so many codes he didn’t even try to count them. Like well over 50 and still counting! All safety related! So I asked what is the normal when a bike comes in. He told me a bike with problems that is fairly new might have 2 or 3 and an older bike might have 10 or 12 so my bike has definitely got serious problems! And it only has 1016 miles on it!

They have opened a safety related warranty claim with BRP and have been exchanging info several times daily. No one has ever seen or heard of such a thing. They say it’s not possible for this to occur! Really? It’s right there boys! So I ask what the plan is going to be. He says BRP will probably come up with something and tell them how to fix it. I explain that they’re going to need someone to test the bike because I have no intention of getting back on it. No way. No how. He says he isn’t either! I ask to talk to main management and am advised they’re in a meeting. OK, have someone call me!

Surprise, about 45 minutes later, I get a call from the General Manager. Very nice young lady who is very concerned and assures me they will take care of me. Hmmmmm, heard that one before! Amazingly, she calls me back in a short time and tells me she’s talked to BRP and her District Manager. The DM said they will probably replace the bike but it might take a little time for everyone to be involved and sign off on it. OOOOO KKKKKK, what about little ole me? I bought a new bike to ride. You’ve had it longer than I have! I have paid for the registration and put the new tag on it! I’ve already made the first payment and I have no bike to ride! Something is not right in this picture!

Sooooo, first thing this morning, (now Wednesday again) she calls me and tells me to come get one of the new bikes and I can use it however until this is resolved! Just Wow! Actually, she has talked to me several times daily just to keep me updated!

In a nutshell, I will recommend Morris Motorsports in Chickasha to anyone that is interested in any new Can-Am, Kawasaki, Honda or Polaris product! Yeah, they have those Slingshot thingies too. As it stands now, I couldn’t be happier with how this has been handled. After getting things straightened out from the Service Department being a bit lackadaisical about customer service, things have gone exceedingly well!

Stay tuned kiddies! There will definitely be more to the story!

I WON! GETTING A NEW BIKE! Only took 6 days once things got serious! We're going to keep the one we're riding. It was new and only had 1 mile on it! Plus I know it's okay. When the GM called this afternoon she told me she got tired of no answers so she sent an email telling them it didn't make any difference what they wanted fixed on that bike I would never ride it again and none of her technicians would be allowed to ride it! So they better do something right now because I was ready to file a lawsuit! I didn't say that! She did! After ignoring her previously, they called within 15 minutes and told her to handle it! Got the replacement bike as a loner on Wednesday and the phone call about the replacement on Thursday!

Original choice! 20170713_145251.jpg Replacement! 20170809_123751.jpg Didn't want the same color even!
    Last edited by Bill n RJ; 08-13-2017 at 11:48 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I like your style, and her's.
    Good luck,
    Roger
    2014 ST-L

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ISSUES WITH NEW SPYDER

...You sir, have been given a MIRACLE solution to your problem .... not many folks here have reported your kind of good fortune at getting an Entire New Spyder to re-place a defective one ....and in record time ....... I wish in your narrative that you had put....." the computer in a Spyder keeps all the codes forever " in RED & BOLD ..Print to emphasize it , because a lot of folks here have actually believed the dealer when they say " Oh nothing shows up on the computer " ... total - BS ........... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Good for you

Glad you got a new one and that no one was seriously hurt on the old one.
    900 Ryker Wifes

Spyder Garage

You are one lucky person. That is not the usual way that things happen. You also got the replaced on a fast track. That also seems new to me.

Glad you are happy with the outcome.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like the blue one better, anyway!

As to your recommendation of that dealership, i'd still be cautious since they started out with a run-around. Only your persistence and "going military" on them got their attention.

I had a problem and had to have my Spyder hauled to a dealer in Stillwater. It sat there a week and they kept telling me what the code was, but nothing about what was really wrong. Not until I got it to Pitbull and they tore the engine apart did they find a broken valve spring. Some shops don't know how to do anything if the computer doesn't give them instructions. I'm glad your story ended better.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Congrats
    enjoy the even newer ride
    '17 pearl white rt ltd bought at killeen power sports
    Ron's sway bar
    front cowl
    driver's backrest
    passenger armrests
    mudflap
    bumpskid
    luggage rack
    fobo tpm

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I like the blue one better, anyway!

As to your recommendation of that dealership, i'd still be cautious since they started out with a run-around. Only your persistence and "going military" on them got their attention.

I had a problem and had to have my Spyder hauled to a dealer in Stillwater. It sat there a week and they kept telling me what the code was, but nothing about what was really wrong. Not until I got it to Pitbull and they tore the engine apart did they find a broken valve spring. Some shops don't know how to do anything if the computer doesn't give them instructions. I'm glad your story ended better.
    Interesting, I had a 2015 F3s with a broken valve spring. I wonder how many others have had this, and why would valve springs be breaking.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder-Mel View Post
    Interesting, I had a 2015 F3s with a broken valve spring. I wonder how many others have had this, and why would valve springs be breaking.
    Assuming the nanny will not let the engine over rev the other possibilities would be improper installation or faulty springs.

Spyder Garage

Default Way to go....

Quite a saga but well done...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder-Mel View Post
    probably 90% of valvetrain damage relates to being over-reved. Which because of the computer is highly unlikely.
    OTHERWISE, they probably make or contract about a million valve springs In a model year. To have one fail to be heat treated properly?
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Default good deal bill

if you look at your first photo , blue was there all the time , waiting on you !

Spyder Garage

What a story, have fun on the new bike.

Spyder Garage

Default Adventure

I have found that if I have used my civilian inside voice and have been polite but have gotten nowhere , Then go Military I have gotten results just as yo have. I don't like to do it but when its MY MONEY AND TIME, I demand service and results.
    Glad things worked out and you and your wife did not get hurt.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Will we ever know?

Do you think we will ever know why your first bike went so horribly wrong? Over 50 codes! I'm glad they took care of you though.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

with everyone. Glad you got things resolved and you are back on the road again. on the new ryde.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bill n RJ View Post
    Adventures of a Spyder buyer!

Approximately one month ago, we found ourselves in the market for a new Spyder. The old one (2012 RT Ltd.) died an early and unnatural death. It burned all by itself in December of 2016! I decided I needed one more 2 wheeler in my old age so that’s what I bought. 12,000 miles in 6 months including 2 tips to the East coast convinced me of the error of my ways.

Sooooo, back to the search for a new Spyder. I diligently researched online and in person at almost all dealers in Oklahoma. Not really wanting to make a trip to Springfield I decided local (within reason) was the way to go. I settled on Morris Motorsports in Chickasha, OK as probably the best dealer/deal I was going to find.

After a bit of serious negotiation, we agreed on a machine and a price I could live with. Later that same day, I rode home on a nice charcoal colored 2017 RT Ltd. with most all the goodies. Included was a total of 7 years full warranty, trailer hitch, gap insurance and even the Tag, Tax & Title for all one price. Great deal, happy boy.

However, (ain’t it always that way?) all wasn’t good in Mudville! I noticed immediately that it just didn’t really handle right. I chalked that up, initially, to “maybe I wasn’t used to it” or something. In addition, the front tires were horribly out of balance. I also noticed a minor imperfection in the paint. After a brief conversation, they assured me it would be addressed. I agreed to make an appoint and get it back to them.

2 weeks in, we made a run up to Branson to visit friends who are also Spyder folks. We had a great weekend, rode through the Ozarks and played on the lake and such. Wunnerful time. We headed home Monday morning.

Wandering down through the mountains and enjoying the cool of the morning, I still didn’t feel that the bike was handling correctly but it was manageable. Suddenly while cruising through a series of curves, the computer went bonkers and the bike started jerking back and forth as the front wheels alternatively locked up very rapidly! Almost threw us off! Fortunately, we were only going about 35 or 40 so it shut down quickly with the left wheel locked up!

Stop, look everything over, restart the bike and very gently roll out and proceed cautiously. Everything went OK down through Tulsa and we decided to head down US75 toward home and get off the interstate. We live in Ada so the route was logical.

As I ran down the ramp to enter I40 at Henryetta, at 70 mph, it decided to do it again! Had the wife not been holding onto the hand holds, it would have thrown her off! As it was, it wrenched her back and she spend the next 2 or 3 days in pain. Chiropractor trip got her on the road to recovery. Again, we ended up with the left wheel locked up and slid to a stop just out of the traffic lane!

So, we proceeded home very cautiously at 40 mph and much slower in the curves. On Wednesday I trailered it to the dealer. After visiting with the assistant service manager, I filled out the paperwork and left the bike with the assurance that it would be checked out “in the next day or two”. Comes Monday and I haven’t heard anything so I call and speak to the asst. service manager again. All I get is a run around and no answers whatsoever. I explain that this isn’t a “some day” thing and I want answers.

On Wednesday, not having heard a word, (now they’ve had the bike a week) I ride the 90+ miles to see for myself what’s going on. No one is in the office so I walk through to see what’s happening. My bike isn’t even in the work area! It’s in the back with other bikes parked in front of it! Oops! My “not a nice guy” switch cuts in and I go up front for a word of prayer.

After a calm discussion in a quiet, controlled manner, (all 3 or 4 seconds of it) I inquire as to WTF! Actually, I kinda went “Old School Military” and explained my frustration to anyone that would listen! Believe me, they listened. I can’t stand being lied to! They are well aware of that now! Sooooo, I get introduced to the real Service Manager.

He proceeds to make the excuse that he was on vacation last week and didn’t have a clue that my bike was there or any idea what was going on. Really? You were on vacation for a week and have now been back 2 and a half days and you don’t know my bike is in your shop? Really? WTF were you doing for the first 30 minutes on Monday morning? Oh you weren’t going through the work orders to see what was going on in YOUR department? Really?

One of the sales guys tells me at that point that killing people never really works! Really? The guy standing behind the dead guy will and does pay attention! Try me! The Service Manager having realized the truth of my statement and not wanting to be either guy promises me that he will personally go pull the bike up and hook up the computer himself! I advise him that after driving home another 90+ miles I will be expecting a call with full details as to what’s going on with my bike because he really, really doesn’t want me back tomorrow morning!

As promised, he calls me as soon as I get home. Surprise! Hmmmmm, maybe I got someone’s attention! Ya think? Turns out that the bike started throwing codes like crazy! The computer in a Spyder keeps all the codes forever. He said there were so many codes he didn’t even try to count them. Like well over 50 and still counting! All safety related! So I asked what is the normal when a bike comes in. He told me a bike with problems that is fairly new might have 2 or 3 and an older bike might have 10 or 12 so my bike has definitely got serious problems! And it only has 1016 miles on it!

They have opened a safety related warranty claim with BRP and have been exchanging info several times daily. No one has ever seen or heard of such a thing. They say it’s not possible for this to occur! Really? It’s right there boys! So I ask what the plan is going to be. He says BRP will probably come up with something and tell them how to fix it. I explain that they’re going to need someone to test the bike because I have no intention of getting back on it. No way. No how. He says he isn’t either! I ask to talk to main management and am advised they’re in a meeting. OK, have someone call me!

Surprise, about 45 minutes later, I get a call from the General Manager. Very nice young lady who is very concerned and assures me they will take care of me. Hmmmmm, heard that one before! Amazingly, she calls me back in a short time and tells me she’s talked to BRP and her District Manager. The DM said they will probably replace the bike but it might take a little time for everyone to be involved and sign off on it. OOOOO KKKKKK, what about little ole me? I bought a new bike to ride. You’ve had it longer than I have! I have paid for the registration and put the new tag on it! I’ve already made the first payment and I have no bike to ride! Something is not right in this picture!

Sooooo, first thing this morning, (now Wednesday again) she calls me and tells me to come get one of the new bikes and I can use it however until this is resolved! Just Wow! Actually, she has talked to me several times daily just to keep me updated!

In a nutshell, I will recommend Morris Motorsports in Chickasha to anyone that is interested in any new Can-Am, Kawasaki, Honda or Polaris product! Yeah, they have those Slingshot thingies too. As it stands now, I couldn’t be happier with how this has been handled. After getting things straightened out from the Service Department being a bit lackadaisical about customer service, things have gone exceedingly well!

Stay tuned kiddies! There will definitely be more to the story!

I WON! GETTING A NEW BIKE! Only took 6 days once things got serious! We're going to keep the one we're riding. It was new and only had 1 mile on it! Plus I know it's okay. When the GM called this afternoon she told me she got tired of no answers so she sent an email telling them it didn't make any difference what they wanted fixed on that bike I would never ride it again and none of her technicians would be allowed to ride it! So they better do something right now because I was ready to file a lawsuit! I didn't say that! She did! After ignoring her previously, they called within 15 minutes and told her to handle it! Got the replacement bike as a loner on Wednesday and the phone call about the replacement on Thursday!

Original choice! 20170713_145251.jpg Replacement! 20170809_123751.jpg Didn't want the same color even!
    Any chance that they will let you know what was wrong with the gremlin riddled spyder?
    Last edited by SteveLaoyster; 09-06-2017 at 05:04 PM.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default It's official!

Done deal! Papers signed and the check for registration and such is in my hand! The replacement bike is ours!
    2012 RT Limited. Brown (Burned in December 2016. No known reason.)
    2017 RT Limited. Charcoal Grey. Got 1016 miles on it and the 'puter went crazy! BRP replaced it with,
    2017 RT Limited. Orbital Blue. Hoping this one is a keeper. It is!
    Traded in my 2 wheeler for a 2018 F3 Limited also in Blue

Spyder Garage

Default More

They still have no idea what's going on with the other one. Everything Can-Am tells them to do won't work! They said reset the stability system and then check it but the system won't reset! Factory is sending a tech!
    2012 RT Limited. Brown (Burned in December 2016. No known reason.)
    2017 RT Limited. Charcoal Grey. Got 1016 miles on it and the 'puter went crazy! BRP replaced it with,
    2017 RT Limited. Orbital Blue. Hoping this one is a keeper. It is!
    Traded in my 2 wheeler for a 2018 F3 Limited also in Blue

Spyder Garage

Sure hope they take that bike back down to Canada, Eh? Disassemble it for research and never let it get back into the hands of any poor unsuspecting consumer.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This sounds a lot like a Tom Clancy novel, the start is subtle, suddenly turns into a struggle that continues to the finale, and ends well for the hero.

Thanks and happy for your fortunate outcome!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bill n RJ View Post
    Done deal! Papers signed and the check for registration and such is in my hand! The replacement bike is ours!

I hope you'll keep us updated on the old one.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Very glad that noone was hurt...

in this sad event. But, I learned from a politician that "politics is the war of who gives up last" and I have used that principle over time to get a satisfactory resolution. Taking names, getting dates and numbers is wise and it sounds like all of this was done and led to a happy Spyder Ryder. Glad you didn't give up on a Spyder!
    Jim

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)