Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Potential Oil Change Dilemma......

I just broke 1500 miles on my new 2016 F3-T. At the pace I'm racking up the miles, I expect to hit 3000 in mid-September or so. Riding season here goes into perhaps mid-November, and I could have over 4000 miles on it by then.

The first oil change/service is due at 3000 miles. I've also read that it's a good idea to change the oil just before winter storage (when I'll probably be at 4000-4500 miles). I really don't want to pay for two oil changes only 1500 miles apart. (I'm NOT a DIYer.)

So I'm open to recommendations on how to deal with this dilemma. When would you recommend that I get that first oil change/service?

Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Don't worry

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    I just broke 1500 miles on my new 2016 F3-T. At the pace I'm racking up the miles, I expect to hit 3000 in mid-September or so. Riding season here goes into perhaps mid-November, and I could have over 4000 miles on it by then.

The first oil change/service is due at 3000 miles. I've also read that it's a good idea to change the oil just before winter storage (when I'll probably be at 4000-4500 miles). I really don't want to pay for two oil changes only 1500 miles apart. (I'm NOT a DIYer.)

So I'm open to recommendations on how to deal with this dilemma. When would you recommend that I get that first oil change/service?

Thanks!
    Yes, do the 3k oil change like it calls for at 3k. There's a reason for that and you'll have many happy miles afterward.

Spyder Garage

Have the dealership do the 3K service so all the other "new bike" checks can be done. Then play it by ear to see how much more riding you are going to get this year. If it turns out to be low mileage you could just change the oil before winter layup and don't worry about the filter. OTOH, if we're really headed to Pandemonium as some folks contend, you might be able to ride all winter. I personally would not want to lay up my Spyder for the winter without a fresh crankcase/oil tank full of oil. The calendar just hit you wrong this year in your hopefully long life as a Spyder owner.
    Last edited by JayBros; 08-11-2017 at 01:48 PM. Reason: spelling
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Good advice in post #3 above. With the 9,000 mile (or once a year) service intervals, I am thinking that after the 3,000 miles service--another service at 4,000 is not needed. But...if in doubt, change it out. No harm will be done except another $350 or so.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    But...if in doubt, change it out. No harm will be done except another $350 or so.
    Egad! Is that Alaska price for an oil change?

If you have a T25 and a T45 Torx bit, a 6mm Allen wrench and large adjustable wrench or pair of channel lock pliers (a 36mm socket is the ideal tool) and two opposing thumbs you can do an oil change on an F3. Lamonster has a very concise short video on how to it.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do the oil change at 3,000 miles, and let it stay in the bike until the next suggested interval hits.
    (One year, or 9,300 miles...)
    It's not going to harm the engine a bit!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Egad! Is that Alaska price for an oil change?

If you have a T25 and a T45 Torx bit, a 6mm Allen wrench and large adjustable wrench or pair of channel lock pliers (a 36mm socket is the ideal tool) and two opposing thumbs you can do an oil change on an F3. Lamonster has a very concise short video on how to it.
    Unfortunately, yes. Oil change/filter and general checkover. The dealer is currently charging $110 an hour--down from $130 last year. My Vulcan was done by the same dealer for less than $100--oil and filter included. I used to change out the oil/filter on all my cars and motorcycles--but I cannot do that any more. I am at the "mercy" of the dealer now.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I am at the "mercy" of the dealer now.
    OUCH!!!
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Do the oil change at 3,000 miles, and let it stay in the bike until the next suggested interval hits.
    Believe me. I try not to agree with Bob anymore than absolutely necessary! It just encourages him!

But I have to say Bob gives good advise here. This is not your father's oil. Modern oils are just fine with the scenario you find yourself in.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder recommended oil changes

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Have the dealership do the 3K service so all the other "new bike" checks can be done. Then play it by ear to see how much more riding you are going to get this year. If it turns out to be low mileage you could just change the oil before winter layup and don't worry about the filter. OTOH, if we're really headed to Pandemonium as some folks contend, you might be able to ride all winter. I personally would not want to lay up my Spyder for the winter without a fresh crankcase/oil tank full of oil. The calendar just hit you wrong this year in your hopefully long life as a Spyder owner.
    Can Am recommends after normal first 3,000 break in miles oil & filter changes oil/filter change cycle jumps to ~ 9,300 miles. This is crap especially for a high rev Rotax 1,300 engine. High quality 100% synthetic oil, Amsoil, Mobile1 motorcycle, Castrol etc oil should be changed every 5,000 miles. I elected to pay for oil/filter changes and other Spyder recommended 9,300 mi service intervals. I do an in-between my self with Synthetic Amsoil oil change at every 5,000 mi. I would never go 10k between oil changes especially in high rev engines.
    2018 RT Limited Spyder , Garmin Zumo GPS, Battery tender wire harness Show Chrome brake pedal extender Oxford Blue

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser37 View Post
    Can Am recommends after normal first 3,000 break in miles oil & filter changes oil/filter change cycle jumps to ~ 9,300 miles. This is crap especially for a high rev Rotax 1,300 engine. High quality 100% synthetic oil, Amsoil, Mobile1 motorcycle, Castrol etc oil should be changed every 5,000 miles. I elected to pay for oil/filter changes and other Spyder recommended 9,300 mi service intervals. I do an in-between my self with Synthetic Amsoil oil change at every 5,000 mi. I would never go 10k between oil changes especially in high rev engines.
    I'm going to use oil analysis to determine when to change the oil in my F3L.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hmmm... That goes against advice that some have posted here, but it would make things a bit easier, for sure.

On the question of winter storage, many here have also recommended applying a trickle charge to the battery while being stored over the winter. This will be my first winter as a Spyder owner, so this is all new to me. What do you recommend? (My Spyder will be in an un-heated garage.)

Thanks.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I did winter storage, I checked the strength of the antifreeze, put fuel stabilizer in the gas tank(full), and hooked up a Battery Tender Junior.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    ... On the question of winter storage, many here have also recommended applying a trickle charge to the battery while being stored over the winter. ... (My Spyder will be in an un-heated garage.)
    Remove the battery and store it inside your home. Charge it 2 or 3 times over the winter. If you have to leave it in the Spyder disconnect the Negative terminal and charge it 2 or 3 times over the winter.
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Believe me. I try not to agree with Bob anymore than absolutely necessary! It just encourages him!

But I have to say Bob gives good advise here. This is not your father's oil. Modern oils are just fine with the scenario you find yourself in.
    Faint.gif
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Sorry Bob. I experienced a cruel moment. It won't happen again.....
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...