Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New tires

Spyder Garage

Default New tires

I'm thinking of putting new tires on my F3T . Front I'm thinking Continental contiprocontact 175/55/r15. For the back I'm thinking either Bridgestone B340 or Kumo solis kh-16 or Toyo proxes 4. Any thoughts guys?

Spyder Garage

Default tires

Quote Originally Posted by Dmartin View Post
    I'm thinking of putting new tires on my F3T . Front I'm thinking Continental contiprocontact 175/55/r15. For the back I'm thinking either Bridgestone B340 or Kumo solis kh-16 or Toyo proxes 4. Any thoughts guys?
    any of the listed would serve you far better than the OEM's!!
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am a tried and true, Kumo for the rear, Federal EVO's for the front, type of guy. I also stick with OEM sizes, but not OEM brand.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Default Choices, choices

I like to keep all tires the same. Doesn't Continental make a tire suitable for the rear as well....? Here's a question for the tire guru's out there. Car tire designs are such that they push debris and water out to the sides so the rear tires have better surface contact. In our case that would push it all into the path of our rear tire hence more rear flats and squirrly rear end in the rain. So what design would best suit a reverse trike...???
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

...For the back I'm thinking either Bridgestone B340 or Kumo solis kh-16 or Toyo proxes 4. Any thoughts guys?
    I ran the Toyo Proxes 4 on my ST. Great tire, its an exact fit. Its an all-Season tire and performs well in cooler (cold) temps. Consider 20-24 psi with that tire. They seem to be hard to get in some parts of the U.S. but readily available for us in Canada.
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just returned from my dealer. My bike has just under 13,000 miles on it and wanted my tech to look at my tread. He said the front tires are still fine and need only to be swapped to the other side. The rear tire needs replacement. I asked about aftermarket tires and he said..... NO! I asked him why he only stocks OEM. He told me of people putting car tires on the Spyder only to return complaining they are slipping and sliding in the rain. He went on about softer rubber, weight of the Spyder etc. He no longer will install anything but OEM because of the issues people are having with car tires. I told him ok because I have not had a single issue with my OEM and respect his opinion. He has too many years doing this work and has never had negative feedback. Never mess up a good thing.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FEEDBACK

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    I just returned from my dealer. My bike has just under 13,000 miles on it and wanted my tech to look at my tread. He said the front tires are still fine and need only to be swapped to the other side. The rear tire needs replacement. I asked about aftermarket tires and he said..... NO! I asked him why he only stocks OEM. He told me of people putting car tires on the Spyder only to return complaining they are slipping and sliding in the rain. He went on about softer rubber, weight of the Spyder etc. He no longer will install anything but OEM because of the issues people are having with car tires. I told him ok because I have not had a single issue with my OEM and respect his opinion. He has too many years doing this work and has never had negative feedback. Never mess up a good thing.
    .... Well here's some ...... He/She/It doesn't know what they are talking about !!! ... First of all SPYDERS ....CAN'T slip & slide in the Rain or wet ..... the VSS prevents this ....That's why folks can put car tires on their Spyders and pump them up to 40 PSI and live to say " feels fine to me "...... I suspect the REAL reason for this change is SOMEONE contacted BRP and ratted on this dealer , and BRP told the dealer in no in-certain terms if they continue to do this they will be punished.... BRP wants to continue selling those Crappy Kenda's for ....10 X's what they cost to make ....... ( might actually be closer to 15 x's )..... Your welcome , Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .... Well here's some ...... He/She/It doesn't know what they are talking about !!! ... First of all SPYDERS ....CAN'T slip & slide in the Rain or wet ..... the VSS prevents this ....That's why folks can put car tires on their Spyders and pump them up to 40 PSI and live to say " feels fine to me "...... I suspect the REAL reason for this change is SOMEONE contacted BRP and ratted on this dealer , and BRP told the dealer in no in-certain terms if they continue to do this they will be punished.... BRP wants to continue selling those Crappy Kenda's for ....10 X's what they cost to make ....... ( might actually be closer to 15 x's )..... Your welcome , Mike
    That is basically what my dealer told me when I asked about switching to car tires in the future and about the low tire pressure BRP recommends in the OEM tires. He said they use to install car tires, but were instructed by BRP not to anymore.

Spyder Garage

BRP dealers install Kenda tires because they HAVE to by contract. BRP made them well aware of the conditions of the dealer agreement. They do not sell them because the tires are great because they simply are not. The dealers know which side of their bread is buttered....

I sincerely doubt you will find ONE independant Spyder service shop or mechanic that sells or recommends kenda tires. The independant shops recommendation is based on real world usage, tire quality and driving dynamics. Kenda fails on all these accounts.

I do recommend you stick with high quality name brand, top tier tires. Your life literally is riding on them.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    That is basically what my dealer told me when I asked about switching to car tires in the future and about the low tire pressure BRP recommends in the OEM tires. He said they use to install car tires, but were instructed by BRP not to anymore.
    As a new member of the forum, and a new Spyder owner, I have noticed that almost nothing generates more controversy than Spyder Tires and/or Tire Pressure. Coming from the two-wheeler world, it's a new issue for me. I'm hesitant to weigh in (but I will anyway)

It seems likely to me that this is likely a BRP Product Liability Issue (read Lawyers) rather than some subterfuge involving a BRP/Kenda Unholy Alliance. My understanding is that Kenda is the only "motorcycle-rated" tire that will fit on a Spyder. Alternatives are all car tires that have no motorcycle rating. Is that correct?

If it is correct, imagine Joe Schmoe goes to a BRP "Certified Dealer" and has car tires put on his bike by the dealer. Joe then gets hurt badly in a wreck and his lawyer starts following up the Product Liability Chain.....BRP "Certified Dealer" installed the tires....dealer says BRP never said there was a problem with it....liability chain moves up to BRP which actually has some $$. BRP is forced to settle or fight in court, they probably settle. I'll bet this has already happened, so BRP has clamped down on the practice of installing car tires, which means Kenda's are all there is. I really don't blame BRP if that's the case.

The solution would seem be to have more "motorcycle-rated" tires available for Spyders, or have some of the car tires certified for Spyders. I don't know if this is possible or who would do the testing/certification.

Sorry if I said something inaccurate about the tire ratings issue, but it is what I had picked up from other similar threads on the forum.

Cheers!

Spyder Garage

My F3L has thousands of miles on the Conti's and a Yokahama S Drive in the rear. The fronts and the back aren't fighting because they are two different brands. I will say that these tyres have made the most significant improvement in ride quality, smoothness, no vibrations, hold the road like there's no tomorrow. I keep 15lbs in the front and 18 lbs rear. I would do it all over again when these are worn. Just my 2 cents worth.
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Spyder Garage

Default TIRES ...ETC.

Quote Originally Posted by HankD View Post
    As a new member of the forum, and a new Spyder owner, I have noticed that almost nothing generates more controversy than Spyder Tires and/or Tire Pressure. Coming from the two-wheeler world, it's a new issue for me. I'm hesitant to weigh in (but I will anyway)

It seems likely to me that this is likely a BRP Product Liability Issue (read Lawyers) rather than some subterfuge involving a BRP/Kenda Unholy Alliance. My understanding is that Kenda is the only "motorcycle-rated" tire that will fit on a Spyder.......WRONG .... The " Arachnid " made by Vee Rubber Co makes a Mtc tire for the Spyder - but it is probably WORSE than the Kenda !!!!! Alternatives are all car tires that have no motorcycle rating. Is that correct?.... I'm not sure about the RATING thing. Our Mtc tires are stamped .. " for special motorcycle use only " ...Which in truth means If you use this CAR tire on a car - it will fail because it's poorly made ... this isn't BS either

If it is correct, imagine Joe Schmoe goes to a BRP "Certified Dealer" and has car tires put on his bike by the dealer. Joe then gets hurt badly in a wreck and his lawyer starts following up the Product Liability Chain.....BRP "Certified Dealer" installed the tires....dealer says BRP never said there was a problem with it....liability chain moves up to BRP which actually has some $$. BRP is forced to settle or fight in court, they probably settle. I'll bet this has already happened, so BRP has clamped down on the practice of installing car tires, which means Kenda's are all there is. I really don't blame BRP if that's the case.

The solution would seem be to have more "motorcycle-rated" tires available for Spyders, or have some of the car tires certified for Spyders. I don't know if this is possible or who would do the testing/certification.... I agree , this would be great , however the logistics will most likely prevent this from occurring . Kenda did it for the MONEY , they have what's known in the Corporate world as a " sweet Heart deal ".... They can make a Cheap tire for little cost ( to them ) and sell them to Dealers at a HUGH mark up ie. PROFIT annnnnnnnnnnnd since they are the ONLY tire that is sold by Can -Am dealers they have a MONOPOLY ...... ...... hope this clarifies things for you ..... Mike

Sorry if I said something inaccurate about the tire ratings issue, but it is what I had picked up from other similar threads on the forum.

Cheers!
    ............. SEE ANSWERS ABOVE IN RED ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default If it aint broke dont fix it.

Here we go again

MC tires are designed for more grip and leaning ability. The Spyder does not lean but you still need that extra grip because the Spyder does not weigh a few thousand pounds like a car. Car tires are designed to last longer and hold more weight. Are BRP tires better? I only know that I have gotten 13,000 miles on my rear tire and only need to swap my front tires. I could easily have gotten a few thousand more miles out of my BRP tires but have upcoming trips planned so I want the work done now. I have put my faith in my dealer who so far has done an excellent job. Could there be a conspiracy of lawyers, BRP tire manufacturers and the dealers?.....sure but until I see proof positive I'll stick with BRP recommendations. Its worked so far.

Spyder Garage

Here we go again

MC tires are designed for more grip and leaning ability. The Spyder does not lean but you still need that extra grip because the Spyder does not weigh a few thousand pounds like a car. Car tires are designed to last longer and hold more weight. Are BRP tires better? I only know that I have gotten 13,000 miles on my rear tire and only need to swap my front tires. I could easily have gotten a few thousand more miles out of my BRP tires but have upcoming trips planned so I want the work done now. I have put my faith in my dealer who so far has done an excellent job. Could there be a conspiracy of lawyers, BRP tire manufacturers and the dealers?.....sure but until I see proof positive I'll stick with BRP recommendations. Its worked so far.
    Just to be clear, I have no problem with the Kenda's on my trike as far as handling goes (for me and the way I ride). I only have about 2500 miles on them but they seem fine with traction and handling. Can't say about mileage yet. I also will stick with the OEM tires unless I come up with a huge reason not to. It seems this is a very rider-specific issue, like fuel mileage and certain farkles.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I disagree on the slippage issue. Traction control and ABS only goes so far. BRP sees the issues coming back to them first hand from warranty work thru dealers. They do not want their product to be considered defective because some people decided...."they know better", then go back to the dealer complaining their bike needs warranty work. Harley admits their biggest problem (complaint) is people alter the bikes with aftermarket farkle then return for warranty work. They refuse to accept that by altering one item it effects another. My thoughts.

Spyder Garage

Putting the wrong tires on your Spyder can indeed impair its handling and road holding.

The tires we install significantly improve road grip from the crappy Kenda tires in all weather types. And they just happen to last a bit longer along the way. The kendas dont wear out quick because they have soft grippy rubber (they dont). They wear out quickly because they have very poor construction quality and no tread area support. They baloon at speed and you ride down the freeway on a contact patch only a couple inches wide in the center of the tire. How is that safer than a full width tread engagement with the road? Its not.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Putting the wrong tires on your Spyder can indeed impair its handling and road holding.

The tires we install significantly improve road grip from the crappy Kenda tires in all weather types. And they just happen to last a bit longer along the way. The kendas dont wear out quick because they have soft grippy rubber (they dont). They wear out quickly because they have very poor construction quality and no tread area support. They baloon at speed and you ride down the freeway on a contact patch only a couple inches wide in the center of the tire. How is that safer than a full width tread engagement with the road? Its not.
    Where did you get this info? Not being rude but I would like to read up on what you said or are you basing this on experience? I can only state that my Kenda/BRP tires lasted 13,000 for the rear and the front tires only need to be swapped. I could easily get another 3,000 (?) miles on the rear if I wanted to. What mileage do you get with aftermarket tires? .......20,000-30,000 miles? My thoughts

Spyder Garage

I totally agree with that. The difference becomes very clear if you are sporty rider or someone who like to ride your Spyder little bit harder than average rider. Kendas are fine for cruisung speeds, but if you try to go little bit faster they do not perform at all. I have noticed the ballooning especially in front tires and because of that they do not have any good grip when taking the curves in higher speeds. I have now installed the Toyo Proxes T1R tires back and front and the handling is like day and night compared to Kendas. But as I said, if one likes to cruise and do not like fast driving, then he or she do not feel that big difference probably.

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post

Spyder Garage

I installed the Continental contiprocontact 175/55/r15 for the front.

F3 Limited.jpg
    www.sasspyders.com
    2016 F3T
    2015 Freedom Trailer
    Sypderpops BumpSkid Plate
    Lamonster ISP Key Cover
    Lamonster F3 Bar Clamp and Power Port
    Lamonster RIP floorboards and frame caps
    Lamonster Chevron Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Swaybar & Heim Links
    F4 Custom 21" tinted windshield
    BRP Cannonball Seat
    BRP F3 Idler Pully
    FOBO TPMS
    LidLox (dual)
    Garmin 660LM GPS
    Cat Delete Performance Pipe
    F3T Top Case
    PPA Black Widow Wheels
    Custom Frunk Wrap

Spyder Garage

Default Balloon Tires

Where did you get this info? Not being rude but I would like to read up on what you said or are you basing this on experience? I can only state that my Kenda/BRP tires lasted 13,000 for the rear and the front tires only need to be swapped. I could easily get another 3,000 (?) miles on the rear if I wanted to. What mileage do you get with aftermarket tires? .......20,000-30,000 miles? My thoughts
    Here is a picture of my Kenda with 9,510 miles on it. All Highway driving at 75 MPH. Good example of the "Ballooning" wear on the stock Kenda!IMG_0128.jpg
    You can clearly see the wear bars on the edges. I don't think there is any argument on the ballooning effect of a tire at 18psi. The Yokahoma S Drive is going on now!

Chris

Spyder Garage

I will not argue the balooning effect of the poor construction Kenda's. Its well documented here and in other threads and many personal experiences.

As far as longevity of the Yoko S-Drive we install on the rear, average life seems to be about 18k. Some more, some a bit less.

I and others can personally attest to the MUCH better grip of the S-Drive vs the kenda in use.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default TIRES is TIRES

give some consideration to:
    HANKOOK for the front -
    20160411_150313 (1).jpg 20160411_150121.jpg 20160411_154943.jpg
    and MICHELIN Hydro-Edge in the rear - hard to find, but worth the search...
    i rode on these from SC to Nova Scotia and back with ZERO concern... after all, they are car tires and we are a heck of a lot lighter than a car....

BEST OF LUCK on your choices....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

PS: pay no attention to the KUMHO's below...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SPYD3R; 08-17-2017 at 05:22 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    give some consideration to:
    HANKOOK for the front -
    20160411_150313 (1).jpg 20160411_150121.jpg 20160411_154943.jpg
    and MICHELIN Hydro-Edge in the rear - hard to find, but worth the search...
    i rode on these from SC to Nova Scotia and back with ZERO concern... after all, they are car tires and we are a heck of a lot lighter than a car....

BEST OF LUCK on your choices....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

PS: pay no attention to the KUMHO's below...
    Car tires do not belong on a vehicle 1/3 the weight of what they are intended for. Will they work? If you do not use them to the max that's needed. I want soft rubber for better grip so I'm sticking with my OEM. No issues so far so why change.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Real World Test of Kenda Contact Patch

As I have stated in another thread on tires ... I have two miles of gravel to travel in order to get to pavement. Very early in my Spyder ownership, I tested the contact patch of the Kenda in order to determine the best pressure for my weight and what I carry on the Spyder. It was VERY clear that, at speed, the center of the Kenda is ALL THAT IS IN CONTACT with the road. For example, pull off our gravel road onto fresh pavement and crack the throttle to quickly get up to 60 - 65 mph; stop quickly (but safely) and inspect the tire. Guess what? I nice dark stripe right down the middle of the tire and nice light dust residue on the edges ... so JCTHORNE is right; you are (at speed) running only on the center 2 inches or so of the Kenda. In my book, that is NOT safer than full contact.

Consider, also, that the Yokohama S-drive (and many of the other car tires chosen by Spyder ryders) are actually performance tires for sports cars. So, they are already designed for a car on the lighter side and for speed with good traction (best of all worlds, in my opinion).

All the best .... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Default TIRES AND SUCH

Car tires do not belong on a vehicle 1/3 the weight of what they are intended for. Will they work? If you do not use them to the max that's needed. I want soft rubber for better grip so I'm sticking with my OEM. No issues so far so why change.
    Well what's your OPINION on poorly constructed tires that can BARELY support the weight of A Spyder ...... Because that's what you probably have ....a KENDA ................. Mike