Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Machinegunner View Post
    In Wisconsin, I go to Schierl Tire to get my General Alitimax, no questios asked. I take it to my Spyder dealer to have it installed and balanced, no questions asked, either.
    Which General Altimax size is recommended for the 2013+ RT?

General AltiMAX RT43 Radial Tire - 195/65R15 91T $64 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/General-AltiM...3+%5BT%5D+Tire

General AltiMAX RT43 Radial Tire - 215/60R15 94T $83 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/General-AltiM...3+%5BT%5D+Tire

I know there has been some discussion about the preferred profile but it's kind of hard to follow through the various threads. Thanks.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 09-03-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE ALTIMAX

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Which General Altimax size is recommended for the 2013+ RT?

General AltiMAX RT43 Radial Tire - 195/65R15 91T $64 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/General-AltiM...3+%5BT%5D+Tire

General AltiMAX RT43 Radial Tire - 215/60R15 94T $83 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/General-AltiM...3+%5BT%5D+Tire

I know there has been some discussion about the preferred profile but it's kind of hard to follow through the various threads. Thanks.
    .. Pete it's the 215 ..... and see if it's the " T " speed rated one , because it's better than the H or V rated ones .... I know this may be contrary to normal thinking but it is ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .. Pete it's the 215 ..... and see if it's the " T " speed rated one , because it's better than the H or V rated ones .... I know this may be contrary to normal thinking but it is ..... Mike
    Mike, I'm assuming the 94T means T-rated ...?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Walmart has a pretty good price on this $71 + tax and free shipping...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Correct. The '94' is the load rating; the 'T' is the speed rating.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Correct. The '94' is the load rating; the 'T' is the speed rating.
    I figured I could count on you, Pete.
    Just ordered it from Wal-Mart. We'll see how that goes finding a shop to mount it!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We'll see how that goes finding a shop to mount it!
    Local tire shop mounted my General on my rear wheel, and my Continentals on the front wheels. I took the wheels off the Spyder and took them and the tires to the shop. Charged me $10 mounting and $10 balancing for each tire. The rear was balanced with "Liquid Balance", which is a brand tire shops use. No questions asked!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default T-RATED

.... Yep, someone posted that the other day ..... Those ratings are arrived at by testing the tire at those speeds constantly for " X " amount of time....." T" rating is 118 mph ( sustained speed ) ...this is almost DOUBLE the normal constant speed anyone drives their Spyder at ...... and this based on a vehicle in the 4000 lb range ....not an 1150 lb Spyder ...... the weight make a HUGH difference ....lighter is better ..........Mike

Spyder Garage

yes a lot of wing riders use car tires.. call it the dark side. Really good on a goldwing when you pulling a trailer. On grass as well a car tire on wing will just walk out where a car tire leaves a wing spinning..
    look up dark side
    Harley riders have been using car tires - probably from day one.
    2014 RT Limited , stock lamonster flat silver

Spyder Garage

comment
    i rode a goldwing for years and gee way over 100,000 miles without one issue. a car tire - for me- had better traction in all conditions. PLus pop the clutch at 3500 rpms and the wing would drag the pipes .. was fun and easy to pop a willy with car tires.
    jim
    2014 RT Limited , stock lamonster flat silver

Spyder Garage

Although there are lots of answers, just say Fiat Spider. I call that a white lie.
    I go to a motorsport dealer who sell ATVs, Quads and the like. I have the tire delivered, drive in, and in about 30 minutes and $80, they remove, mount and balance and reinstall the rear wheel. They are a CanAm dealer, and also work on HDs. I gave the service manager a maintenance CD for my model.
    I believe they told me they would service my Spyder.
    Last edited by azprince; 03-27-2019 at 12:13 PM. Reason: additional info

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Here is a partial list of cars that use 15" tires. https://www.wheel-size.com/tire/205/65R15/
    The 205/65R15 should not be used too tall. The 205/55R15 is a good replacement for the 225/50R15 OEM tire and a lot more choices.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bobbobtar View Post
    The 205/65R15 should not be used too tall. The 205/55R15 is a good replacement for the 225/50R15 OEM tire a lot more choices.
    I think most of us here who are using CT on the rear went with 215/60R15. Fits nicely and brings the speedo pretty much dead on for speed.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

You ran car tires on your Goldwing? Tell us about it. I think this is a first!

Jack
    Going to " the darkside" on a GW or a Valkyrie has been around for a long ,long time. I had a 98 Valk ( a wonderful bike BTW) but NEVER thought of putting a car tire on the big girl.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by azprince View Post
    Although there are lots of answers, just say Fiat Spider. I call that a white lie.
    I go to a motorsport dealer who sell ATVs, Quads and the like. I have the tire delivered, drive in, and in about 30 minutes and $80, they remove, mount and balance and reinstall the rear wheel. They are a CanAm dealer, and also work on HDs. I gave the service manager a maintenance CD for my model.
    I believe they told me they would service my Spyder.
    Just curious..... Was the dealer Four Seasons Motorsports? I think they are a pretty good dealership and used them when I had a CanAm Commander. I stopped there a couple of years ago to see if they would work on a Spyder. (Even though they did not sell Spyders). The Service Manager told me that "This is the first time I have seen one in person". Hoping they have jumped into servicing Spyders..... We need more competition for service in our area..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi