Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Refused to sell me a tire..........

Discount Tire Direct refused to sell me a Yokohama S Drive 205 /55 R15. When you check out they ask what vehicle you putting the tires on. I did not think much of this and dutifully entered my 2016 F3-T information. I get an e-mail to call them there is problem with my order I thought "gee they had 12 in stock what could be the problem". I call them and they tell me they can't sell me the tire because it is a car tire and not a motorcycle tire. I said I know that and we are all using them on our Can-Am's. He says rules are rules it's not safe to put a car tire on a motorcycle federal laws blah, blah blah. So if I would have entered a car that takes that size and is rated for that size they would sell it to me!!! My QUESTION IS WHAT MAKE AND YEAR DO I ENTER THEN TO GET THE TIRE. He says he can't tell me and would enter my refund. Thanks have a good day.

WOW! I had this problem at Costco wanting to go a bit wider on my tires. They would not sell them to me. 1984! I can asses the risks on my own and don't need federal nanny's looking after me.

Chris

Spyder Garage

the policy probably is driven by corporate lawyers, as is the case with so many things today
    we are a very litigious society and CYA has become important, no company wants a lawsuit so they set policies to avoid them
    find a car it fits and put that in the vehicle box on the order form

Spyder Garage

You can buy it on Amazon

Spyder Garage

Default what fits😀

Ford ecosport 2013

All I want to do is ride!

Spyder Garage

1970 VW Dune Buggy!
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Active Member NorthAlabamaSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

TreadDepot will sell you one also.
    2019 F3-T and some extra stuff

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You NEVER mention Spyders, when buying car tires...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well it really ISN'T safe to put most car tires on a 2-wheel motorcycle.......so you need a "work around" like a couple of people have suggested above.
    Explaining that it has 3 wheels and not 2 might help......but probably not.
    Take your business elsewhere.

I had a hell of a time buying tires when I had a Caddy STS. Because it was theoretically capable of 140 MPH, everybody wanted to sell me Z rated tires.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We're not talking about "Dark-Siding" a leaner...
    And the people in these shops aren't smart enough to know the differences. It's best to just NOT let the conversation get started.

Spyder Garage

Bob is right, don't elaborate on what it is going on. I can't tell you how many times I went in with a Goldwing rim to have a car tire put on. I always had the "trailer wheel" story ready. Same story over the phone.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Interesting! My local store not only sells them to me, they order them and mount them for me… Of course I take in the rims to save the labor. They cannot however, balance the rear one. It doesn't fit on their machine.

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's up to the Shop...
    Discount Tire must have some nervous Lawyers on their payroll.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thehawk View Post
    Interesting! My local store not only sells them to me, they order them and mount them for me… Of course I take in the rims to save the labor. They cannot however, balance the rear one. It doesn't fit on their machine.

thehawk

Pretty much the same for me. I had to take my rear wheel to a motorcycle shop to get it spin balanced.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by No 2817 View Post
    Discount Tire Direct refused to sell me a Yokohama S Drive 205 /55 R15. When you check out they ask what vehicle you putting the tires on. I did not think much of this and dutifully entered my 2016 F3-T information. I get an e-mail to call them there is problem with my order I thought "gee they had 12 in stock what could be the problem". I call them and they tell me they can't sell me the tire because it is a car tire and not a motorcycle tire. I said I know that and we are all using them on our Can-Am's. He says rules are rules it's not safe to put a car tire on a motorcycle federal laws blah, blah blah. So if I would have entered a car that takes that size and is rated for that size they would sell it to me!!! My QUESTION IS WHAT MAKE AND YEAR DO I ENTER THEN TO GET THE TIRE. WOW! I had this problem at Costco wanting to go a bit wider on my tires. They would not sell them to me. 1984! I can asses the risks on my own and don't need federal nanny's looking after me.
    What planet have you been living on until now? If a company doesn't want to sell you a tire because of liability issues, that is their right. Should the feds be telling them your freedoms trump their right to protect themselves from potential lawsuits?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I had the exact same thing happen to me when I wanted to buy a Yokohama S Drive at Discount tire. Its better to buy online but then you need to find someone that can do the install or in your cast just mount the tire. Some dealers will and some will not.
    Last edited by AY4B; 08-11-2017 at 09:15 AM.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I went into a Discount Store....asked if they had a tire. They said yes. Bought it. They ask what it was going on. Told them I prefer not to tell them, still got the tire.
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

Do you remember this TV program intro?. 'The Outer Limits' controlled 1 hour. The US government controls the other 23....

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorthAlabamaSpyder View Post
    Bob is right, don't elaborate on what it is going on. I can't tell you how many times I went in with a Goldwing rim to have a car tire put on. I always had the "trailer wheel" story ready. Same story over the phone.

You ran car tires on your Goldwing? Tell us about it. I think this is a first!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Jack

Bet it was a trike!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

This is great info. It should be on the newbies list post (hopefully it wasn't and I just don't remember). Everyone will have this problem sooner or later. Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lots of folks have "Dark-Sided" their GoldWings and Valkyries: without having added a third wheel!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Jack
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    Bet it was a trike!

I have over 100,000 miles on Car Tires. A lot easier to get use to than going from a Goldwing to a Spyder for me. Very stable in rain and cornering. Plus you can get a run flat. I have never ridden a tricked motorcycle. It is actually pretty common in the Goldwing world. Some folks think you will catch on fire running a car tire. LOL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is a partial list of cars that use 15" tires. https://www.wheel-size.com/tire/205/65R15/
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Hello,

So for new tires then do you take the rim off yourself and take it in or bring the whole bike in. I figure when you pull in with a spyder wont they see it and not put it on anyways?

Jim
    2012 Can am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Chevy Camaro SS

Spyder Garage

Default Now That's Funny!

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    What planet have you been living on until now? If a company doesn't want to sell you a tire because of liability issues, that is their right. Should the feds be telling them your freedoms trump their right to protect themselves from potential lawsuits?
    You said "Should the feds be telling them your freedoms trump their rights to protect themselves"

Please tell me that was on purpose!