Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Refused to sell me a tire..........

Discount Tire Direct refused to sell me a Yokohama S Drive 205 /55 R15. When you check out they ask what vehicle you putting the tires on. I did not think much of this and dutifully entered my 2016 F3-T information. I get an e-mail to call them there is problem with my order I thought "gee they had 12 in stock what could be the problem". I call them and they tell me they can't sell me the tire because it is a car tire and not a motorcycle tire. I said I know that and we are all using them on our Can-Am's. He says rules are rules it's not safe to put a car tire on a motorcycle federal laws blah, blah blah. So if I would have entered a car that takes that size and is rated for that size they would sell it to me!!! My QUESTION IS WHAT MAKE AND YEAR DO I ENTER THEN TO GET THE TIRE. He says he can't tell me and would enter my refund. Thanks have a good day.

WOW! I had this problem at Costco wanting to go a bit wider on my tires. They would not sell them to me. 1984! I can asses the risks on my own and don't need federal nanny's looking after me.

Chris

Spyder Garage

the policy probably is driven by corporate lawyers, as is the case with so many things today
    we are a very litigious society and CYA has become important, no company wants a lawsuit so they set policies to avoid them
    find a car it fits and put that in the vehicle box on the order form

Spyder Garage

You can buy it on Amazon

Spyder Garage

Default what fits😀

Ford ecosport 2013

All I want to do is ride!

Spyder Garage

1970 VW Dune Buggy!
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Active Member NorthAlabamaSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

TreadDepot will sell you one also.
    2019 F3-T and some extra stuff

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You NEVER mention Spyders, when buying car tires...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well it really ISN'T safe to put most car tires on a 2-wheel motorcycle.......so you need a "work around" like a couple of people have suggested above.
    Explaining that it has 3 wheels and not 2 might help......but probably not.
    Take your business elsewhere.

I had a hell of a time buying tires when I had a Caddy STS. Because it was theoretically capable of 140 MPH, everybody wanted to sell me Z rated tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PapaHotel View Post
    You can buy it on Amazon

That's what I did $11.00 more $118.00 shipped no hassles. Thanks for all the help. I just didn't know what to enter for the "car going on questions", no other options like Tire Rack has.

Chris
    Last edited by No 2817; 08-14-2017 at 05:47 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by No 2817 View Post
    Discount Tire Direct refused to sell me a Yokohama S Drive 205 /55 R15. When you check out they ask what vehicle you putting the tires on. I did not think much of this and dutifully entered my 2016 F3-T information. I get an e-mail to call them there is problem with my order I thought "gee they had 12 in stock what could be the problem". I call them and they tell me they can't sell me the tire because it is a car tire and not a motorcycle tire. I said I know that and we are all using them on our Can-Am's. He says rules are rules it's not safe to put a car tire on a motorcycle federal laws blah, blah blah. So if I would have entered a car that takes that size and is rated for that size they would sell it to me!!! My QUESTION IS WHAT MAKE AND YEAR DO I ENTER THEN TO GET THE TIRE. WOW! I had this problem at Costco wanting to go a bit wider on my tires. They would not sell them to me. 1984! I can asses the risks on my own and don't need federal nanny's looking after me.
    What planet have you been living on until now? If a company doesn't want to sell you a tire because of liability issues, that is their right. Should the feds be telling them your freedoms trump their right to protect themselves from potential lawsuits?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I had the exact same thing happen to me when I wanted to buy a Yokohama S Drive at Discount tire. Its better to buy online but then you need to find someone that can do the install or in your cast just mount the tire. Some dealers will and some will not.
    Last edited by AY4B; 08-11-2017 at 09:15 AM.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I went into a Discount Store....asked if they had a tire. They said yes. Bought it. They ask what it was going on. Told them I prefer not to tell them, still got the tire.
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

Do you remember this TV program intro?. 'The Outer Limits' controlled 1 hour. The US government controls the other 23....

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default I remember

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Do you remember this TV program intro?. 'The Outer Limits' controlled 1 hour. The US government controls the other 23....

I remember, but my stepson calls me a dinosaur anyway. I'd like to ask, how one obtains the map, with the places visited for their posts?

Spyder Garage

Default Now That's Funny!

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    What planet have you been living on until now? If a company doesn't want to sell you a tire because of liability issues, that is their right. Should the feds be telling them your freedoms trump their right to protect themselves from potential lawsuits?
    You said "Should the feds be telling them your freedoms trump their rights to protect themselves"

Please tell me that was on purpose!

Spyder Garage

Default Try a different Discount Tire

Discount mounted car tires on my Spyder twice at 2 different stores. The latter one couldn't balance them because their spindle was too large. Hmmm.

I've also had a Discount store refuse to mount car tires on a trailer. I went down the road to the next D-T outlet and they were happy to do it. I put radial car tires in place of those bias-ply trailer ones and improved things considerably.

Keep looking!

Spyder Garage

Default No 2817

2817 was my serial number on the Premier Edition 2008 GS that I owned. That 990 engine was fast and 9500 rpm Red Line was the best part of it.

(was disappointed that the 2016 F3-T was only 7500, maybe the ECU remap will help)

Chris

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by No 2817 View Post
    (was disappointed that the 2016 F3-T was only 7500, maybe the ECU remap will help)
    The 1330 is designed to turn slower than the 990. That's why the redline difference.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why spin them any faster than you need to?

2014-Spyder-RT-dyno-chart.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The 1330 is designed to turn slower than the 990. That's why the redline difference.
    Kind of but not really.

The additional rotating mass of three cylinders is probably the determining factor in the lower max. RPM limit.

The additional HP/torque allows higher gearing and lower engine speeds at a given speed.....but the engine itself is not "designed to turn slower".

Spyder Garage

BigO Tire had no issues mounting my tires. And the local even stated they would order them for me. They will not replace the rear tire. Too complex. They mounted my tires X2 and balanced then for 10.00 each.

Spyder Garage

I took the front rims with the supplied POS tires down to Pep Boys for new car tires. The service writer gave a somewhat funny look at the rims and asked "what do they go on"? I told him "a 1967 MGB replica kit". He rolled his eyes and shrugged his shoulders then put something in his computer and said "they should be ready in a few minutes".

I haven't had to change the rear POS tire yet.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Default for a trailer

I told them it was for a custom trailer which I'm trying to match an existing tire

Spyder Garage

I also have significant experience riding on the dark side. Well over fifty thousand miles on it a Honda VTX 1800. Half the cost. Twice the mileage. And like riding on a rail. I once went over 70 miles across Nebraska without touching my handlebars as the rear tire gave so much stability that I could just sit there and lean a little to the left or lean little to the right to make my way down the interstate. I've navigated many twisties on The Darkside including the dragon's tail with no issues whatsoever. I'm a Believer in the dark side.

Spyder Garage

This is great info. It should be on the newbies list post (hopefully it wasn't and I just don't remember). Everyone will have this problem sooner or later. Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO