Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Buying a "new to me" Spyder - odometer concern

I am in the process of purchasing a 2010 RS-S SE5. It's listed as 21k miles, but the title is marked as "in excess of mechanical limits" and so I suspect that the odometer has reset at least once (know bug). The price is good, but I don't have experience with Spyders to vouch for the longevity myself. I'd love thoughts from the experts on the potential of 83K or more miles on a 2010......would you buy it? What would tell you one way or the other? I have asked for the engine hours....but I believe that also stops at 1079 and so may not give me an accurate gauge of what this has really been through.

Spyder Garage

Hi Nuurdygirl,

Re: odometer concern

Look here, right in your neighborhood: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...5-Options-MINT!

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

You should be able to get the service history by having a dealer run the VIN. Questionable mileage on a RSS--I would move on. That could only be the beginning of issues. When in doubt--throw it out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Not sure...

But i would be leery of any bike with title modifications. I'm with the find out all you can and/or move on to the next one. There are choices out there....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nuurdygirl View Post
    I am in the process of purchasing a 2010 RS-S SE5. It's listed as 21k miles, but the title is marked as "in excess of mechanical limits" and so I suspect that the odometer has reset at least once (know bug). The price is good, but I don't have experience with Spyders to vouch for the longevity myself. I'd love thoughts from the experts on the potential of 83K or more miles on a 2010......would you buy it? What would tell you one way or the other? I have asked for the engine hours....but I believe that also stops at 1079 and so may not give me an accurate gauge of what this has really been through.
    You didn't say how much you're paying for it. That would be a better gauge of whether or not it's worth taking a chance with.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

NOPE

Spyder Garage

If you have any doubts at all, Keep looking, even if it is cheap, you usually get what you pay for
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Spyder Garage

Reco.mend that you take a look at the Spyders listed in the for sale board of our forum. Since you live in WA state, I would seriously consider this bike below over a possible salvage title. I have no connection to the seller but this appears to be a great bike at a great price

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...5-Options-MINT!

Spyder Garage

I agree with what others have said... RUN, look for another Spyder that doesn't have a questionable history or title
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Spyder Garage

Default hours

If the odometer reset after 100Kms, the engine hours won't. Get it on BUDS, you will know. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Title issues, RUN. You will need to sell one day and then this could be an issue.

Spyder Garage

Default Before you buy

Quote Originally Posted by Nuurdygirl View Post
    call Ron at Lifestyle Can Am in Mt Vernon..not to far from you. They are great to deal with..
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

That many hours is about 27,000 miles. If more city riding the 21,000 miles could be accurate.

Spyder Garage

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-existing-data

If the cluster was replaced the odometer won't be correct. But connecting BUDS to the bike should show the accurate mileage and hours.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited