Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Licensing requirements by State

Here's something Can-Am put together as a ready reference for driver licensing requirement by state.

https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/licens...C0%7C0%7C0%7C0
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Oregon has recently changed to where you need a two wheel motorcycle endorsement to operate a trike on the public Hwy. In the past you could get a three wheel endorsement that was good only for trikes but no longer.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Default California

Boy, for once California's laws are less stringent than other states. It's a good thing that states have to respect reciprocity so I don't need a different license to ride outside my home state.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=CA Railwhale;1289336]Boy, for once California's laws are less stringent than other states. It's a good thing that states have to respect reciprocity so I don't need a different license to ride outside my home state.[/QUOTE

Same for us in SC
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CA Railwhale View Post
    Boy, for once California's laws are less stringent than other states. It's a good thing that states have to respect reciprocity so I don't need a different license to ride outside my home state.
    Isn't that the truth?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    Oregon has recently changed to where you need a two wheel motorcycle endorsement to operate a trike on the public Hwy. In the past you could get a three wheel endorsement that was good only for trikes but no longer.
    Do you have a reference for this? This would be good for my classroom instructors.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not according to this web page. http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/pages...e_endorse.aspx

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I just called the Oregon DMV and asked them about the three wheel VS two wheel endorsement. Once you pass your motorcycle knowledge test then you have the option of going to one of the five locations where you can take a special 3 wheel skills test then you can get a three wheel only endorsement. They are planing on eliminating the three wheel endorsement but have not gotten around to it yet. When my wife took her three wheel skills test two years ago they told her back then they were going to eliminate it, but maybe with all us baby boomers wanting to ride trikes only they might be reconsidering.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just called the Oregon DMV and asked them about the three wheel VS two wheel endorsement. Once you pass your motorcycle knowledge test then you have the option of going to one of the five locations where you can take a special 3 wheel skills test then you can get a three wheel only endorsement. They are planing on eliminating the three wheel endorsement but have not gotten around to it yet. When my wife took her three wheel skills test two years ago they told her back then they were going to eliminate it, but maybe with all us baby boomers wanting to ride trikes only they might be reconsidering.
    That very well could be the case. I don't recall the exact numbers but at a GW rally a couple of weeks ago someone mentioned they were at a GW rally where around half of the GWs there were trikes!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I do have a motorcycle Lic. and have had one since I was 16 but here in Califorina
    they do not consider the Spyder a motorcycle so all you require is a standard
    automotive lic.

Quote Originally Posted by CA Railwhale View Post

Spyder Garage

As MD said, no MC license for CA.

Not on topic but I thought the MC Safety course was a joke and for noobs but my insurance said it would be a little cheaper if I took the course. Always like to save $$ so I gritted my teeth and took it even though I had many many years of dirt and 5 years on the street. I was pleasantly surprised and ashamed at my train of thinking beforehand. I learned a sh*t ton and made my ridding more enjoyable.

When someone asks "What street bike should I get" my response is take the MC course first to see if you can pass and find out for only $250 instead of $5-25k whether MC's are for you. After that almost any bike or Trike will be more enjoyable to ride or drive.
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Ultimate Seats ST Midrider
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Show Chrome Brake Pedal Extension
    Excelvan X-Grip Cell Phone Holder w/USB Charger
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:
    6'-1" - 205lbs - 32"IS - 34"Reach

Spyder Garage

in FL you can ride a trike or sidecar rig with a motorcycle endorsement (even with no training on either)
    if you take a trike/sidecar training class (not having a motorcycle endorsement), you can get a trike/sidecar only license endorsement, and you can't ride a motorcycle
    doesn't make a lot of sense to me
    when I had a Ural I took the sidecar/trike class and found it very worth doing