Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Communications System Questions

Now that I've found one or two people to ride with, I need a way to communicate with them. Because I know next to nothing about this stuff, I need some guidance.

The friend that I rode with today referred to his system as a CB (like in the old days). He says he can switch from channel to channel as needed to get a good signal between riders. So, here are my questions (in no particular order):

1. Do all communications systems for riders use CB bandwidth? Are they all compatible with each other?

2. Where do these systems get their power from? (Note: My 2016 F3-T has no audio system and no obviously accessible USB cables.)

3. Does anyone have a recommended system to get? My helmet is an HJC IS-MAX II.

I'm sure that there are other pertinent questions to ask. I just don't know enough to ask them!

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see....

you can add a charging port for power check our sponsor/vendors on the home page. Many use the CB not familiar with that mode. We use the Scala G9 and many here have the Sena. These are helmet units that will connect to your phone, gps, have radios built in and intercom with the capasity to connect to like devices. We have a sena guy here that can help you also on the home page...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

You need to find out what the other riders are using to communicate with. Here the individuals I ride with use CB. The individuals that ride with my son use either Sena or Clearview. Once you figure out what type of communications you need, then you can find one that will work for you.

Michael
    W5MWI

USN Vet - RM1
    Member: VFW & American Legion

2020 Spyder RT-L - Jupiter Metallic Blue Chrome

Spyder Garage

Many systems may be compatible with other systems. I have a Uclear and it is compatible with Sena and some others. You don't necessarily have to have the exact same system as others, but need to check compatibility. The CB system probably can only communicate with other CB users and honestly, I don't think many use CB's any more.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
    The CB system probably can only communicate with other CB users and honestly, I don't think many use CB's any more.
    In our riding group, that is ALL that is used; about 15 of them.

The CB being referred to IS the exact same thing that the truckers used to like so much.
    ALL CB systems are compatible with each other.

The other systems mentioned all use Blue Tooth, I think, and the range is extremely limited.

It kind of depends on what your budget is.
    J&M is about the only company making CB's specifically for motorcycles......so that means that they command a HIGH price.
    But they are very convenient and reliable. They also make the integrated CBs for the RT audio systems......at about twice the price.

So......you can buy a hand-held CB and an earbud/mic for a bit less than $100 and strap it on your handlebars.
    A few riders have even mounted a "normal" CB on their bikes but maybe not a Spyder.
    The universal J&M systems run about $400 I think; they have a good web site.

Regardless of what you get, your effective communications range probably will be about a mile and a half.......or less.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

CBs are a viable option...
    But Bluetooth bike to bike systems sure are handy also!
    Sena seems to be the Gold Standard for them: get in touch with MotorcycleDave for more info about them.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    The CB being referred to IS the exact same thing that the truckers used to like so much. ALL CB systems are compatible with each other. The other systems mentioned all use Blue Tooth, I think, and the range is extremely limited.
    Your Spyder is capable of CB communications as well as the Bluetooth systems such as Sena and Scala (and others) produce for helmet systems. They are two very different things. CB is an old but reliable technology that is still used by many riders; you can get a system that works through your Spyder's sound system via wire to your helmet mic / speakers OR you can go with a standalone system like your riding buddies use. CB has a much longer range than the Blue-tooth systems, which max out at about 1/4 mile.

The BT system has many advantages over the CB but if your riding buddies are using CB then go with that for now until your needs change.

One of the sponsors of this website is Motorcycle Dave; he may be able to answer your questions about CB, but he definitely can answer your questions about Sena BT systems.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's a bike-specific discussion earlier this month. There may be others. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...6-F3T-CB-radio
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A worthwhile option to consider is a Midland handheld CB radio and the Sena SR10 radio Blue Tooth adapter, https://www.sena.com/product/sr10/. You will need a BT headset in your helmet, which is worth considering since you don't have an audio system in your F3. The helmet BT can connect you to other BT users as well as your phone and has a radio built in.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    A worthwhile option to consider is a Midland handheld CB radio and the Sena SR10 radio Blue Tooth adapter, https://www.sena.com/product/sr10/. You will need a BT headset in your helmet, which is worth considering since you don't have an audio system in your F3. The helmet BT can connect you to other BT users as well as your phone and has a radio built in.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    you can get a system that works through your Spyder's sound system
    The retail price of the parts to do that is about $850......on a model that HAS a sound system to start with. And the headsets are extra.

I'm guessing that it is not practical to do that on a model not designed for the "standard" sound system.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    The retail price of the parts to do that is about $850......on a model that HAS a sound system to start with. And the headsets are extra. I'm guessing that it is not practical to do that on a model not designed for the "standard" sound system.
    I agree. But, we don't know his budget. Or anything else about his expectations for that matter.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I agree. But, we don't know his budget. Or anything else about his expectations for that matter.
    OP here. I don't have a firm budget, but can safely say that $850 exceeds it! Let's just say that I'm interested in as low cost a solution that works. And by "that works", I mean compatible with at least CB-Band, and a simple way to provide it power.

I'll have to check with my other riding buddy on what he's using to determine what else it would need to be compatible with.

Like I said, I know so little about this that I don't even know what to ask or what specs to provide.....

Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    OP here. I don't have a firm budget, but can safely say that $850 exceeds it! Let's just say that I'm interested in as low cost a solution that works. And by "that works", I mean compatible with at least CB-Band, and a simple way to provide it power.

I'll have to check with my other riding buddy on what he's using to determine what else it would need to be compatible with.

Like I said, I know so little about this that I don't even know what to ask or what specs to provide.....

Thanks!
    My other riding buddy uses a "Sena 10u" system. So I'd like something that's compatible with him as well as with CB bandwidth - if such an animal exists, of course.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by newbert; 08-11-2017 at 04:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

My other riding buddy uses a "Sena 10u" system. So I'd like something that's compatible with him as well as with CB bandwidth - if such an animal exists, of course.

Thoughts?
    Best person to talk to is Motorcycle Dave a knowlegable sponsor on this site, or Lamonster Garage, this sites creator, or so I understand.
    Bruce

2014 RTS-SE6
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena BT Dongle
    Sirius Radio
    Dash bar
    Show Chrome Trunk Rack

"You know that a politician is lying if his lips are moving"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

if such an animal exists, of course.

Thoughts?
    I don't think you can do both.
    I fear that you will have to pick one.

Spyder Garage

Thoughts?
    First thing we need to get clear. Who do want to communicate with, at what various times and scenarios? What do they each use for communication? Let's define the problem clearly first, then hammer out the solution.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    First thing we need to get clear. Who do want to communicate with, at what various times and scenarios? What do they each use for communication? Let's define the problem clearly first, then hammer out the solution.
    OK.

All 3 of us never ride together. The guy with the CB is local while the other (with the Sena 10u) is not. My guess is that I'll be riding 75% of the time with the CB buddy and 25% of the time with the Sena buddy. I never ride 2-up, if that matters.

I don't know exactly what model unit the CB buddy specifically uses - He's not too tech savvy, but he insists that it's CB band because he can change from channel-to-channel "just like in the old days".

I'm starting to think that perhaps it's best for me to just get a cheap hand held CB unit with audio out to earbuds for when I ride with him. I could just put it in my pocket, but I'm not sure how to "press to talk" conveniently in that case.

For when I ride with my Sena buddy, I'd just get a Sena unit.

Spyder Garage

OK.

All 3 of us never ride together. The guy with the CB is local while the other (with the Sena 10u) is not. My guess is that I'll be riding 75% of the time with the CB buddy and 25% of the time with the Sena buddy. I never ride 2-up, if that matters.

I don't know exactly what model unit the CB buddy specifically uses - He's not too tech savvy, but he insists that it's CB band because he can change from channel-to-channel "just like in the old days".

I'm starting to think that perhaps it's best for me to just get a cheap hand held CB unit with audio out to earbuds for when I ride with him. I could just put it in my pocket, but I'm not sure how to "press to talk" conveniently in that case.

For when I ride with my Sena buddy, I'd just get a Sena unit.
    Thanks. That clears it up good. Go back and look at my suggestion in post #9. With that configuration you can have the CB and the Bluetooth and communicate with both of them. Any of the Sena units will work. The 10U is a specific configuration that fits inside various helmets. The Sena would be in/on your helmet all the time.

Give Motorcycle Dave a call. His ad is on the home page. He can set you up with what works good for you at a fair price. Also, do some Google searching on Bluetooth communication and do some self education. It'll help you figure it all out a lot better.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm starting to think that perhaps it's best for me to just get a cheap hand held CB unit with audio out to earbuds for when I ride with him.
    Probably. Most come with a heavy duty "belt clip" and have a PTT (push to talk) button that you can feel without gloves on.
    If you switch it to "low power" and don't talk a lot, the batteries inside the unit should last a while. Rechargeables work good too.

Spyder Garage

That will work IF you can use ear buds while you have a Bluetooth headset installed, which you need to talk to your Sena 10U buddy.

2014 Copper RTS