Spyder Garage

Default How different will I sit on 2009 GS vs RT-L?

I have a 2012 RTL and am considering buying a 2009 GS SM5 with 5,800 miles. It has handle bar risers, My question is how much different will I set with this versus the RTL? I don't want to be bent over like a Ninja rider!

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

even with the stock bars you would not be bent like the crotch rocket folks. With the risers, depending on the size, you will be upright a bit more but not as straight up as the RT. Sit on a stool ( feet on the floor knees about 90°) put your palms on your knees and lean into them. Should be about it....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

If you have at least 3" risers, you will be sitting similar to the RT. If less, it will still handle and sit like a crotch rocket.

Been there, done that.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    even with the stock bars you would not be bent like the crotch rocket folks. With the risers, depending on the size, you will be upright a bit more but not as straight up as the RT. Sit on a stool ( feet on the floor knees about 90°) put your palms on your knees and lean into them. Should be about it....
    I don't know that my back would stand much bending over. I don't have a bad back but it would be tiring. The Spyder is about 200 miles away so I would like to have an idea before I make the trip.
    Thanks for the information!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beef56 View Post
    I have a 2012 RTL and am considering buying a 2009 GS SM5 with 5,800 miles. It has handle bar risers, My question is how much different will I set with this versus the RTL? I don't want to be bent over like a Ninja rider!
    I Have a 2012 RT sm5 and I traded a 2009 GS in for my F3 with 33,000 miles. The RT is WAY More comfortable and turns better (With a Sway Bar) than the GS did. Even with the riser (Which I had) Your feet are in the Crotch rocket position. That's WHY I traded the GS for the F3.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Floor boards will help.

I have a 2009 GS with floorboards I had built because wasn't comfortable riding in the 'crotch rocket' position. I'm not new to Spyderlovers but haven't been active in a long time so I'm not sure how to send you pictures and contact where I had them fabricated.
    However, if you let me know your e-address I will share my info with you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    If you have at least 3" risers, you will be sitting similar to the RT. If less, it will still handle and sit like a crotch rocket.

Been there, done that.
    An rs is not even close to what a ninja or gsxr is as far as crouched anyone that says that has never ridden a race bike crotch rocket , while it is less upright than an rt a small amount of forward lean has its + once you are at Highway speeds the slight cupping of your torso gives a lift in the wind which unweights you arms and seat some
    2 happy happy spyders

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Using Cycle Ergo

Using the cycle ergo website:

RS with 3" riser & 1" pullback, vs stock RT.

Notice the torso position is basically similar, but the leg and feet on the RS is under you.
    RS3inRiser.jpgRTL.jpg
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Hi 125,

Re: the leg and feet on the RS is under you.
    RS3inRiser.jpgRTL.jpg

That is why I put floorboards on my GS:

Spyder-4.jpg

That short, turned back footpeg is where the factory footpeg is at. The floorboard(s) allow me to put my feet way farther forward. I occasionally even go so far as only having my heel on the front edge of the floorboard.

Works for me,

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    An rs is not even close to what a ninja or gsxr is as far as crouched anyone that says that has never ridden a race bike crotch rocket , while it is less upright than an rt a small amount of forward lean has its + once you are at Highway speeds the slight cupping of your torso gives a lift in the wind which unweights you arms and seat some
    Yes, the RS is not specifically a crotch rocket. I have owned two of them before going with the RT. For me, I could not stand the bending over. The risers were the first mod that I made to both.

Comfort level, the RT rides like a couch (which I like) compared to the rougher (crotch rocket) feel of the RS.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the information. What model would everyone recommend for comfort other than the RT?

Spyder Garage

I have had my '08 GS for 5 summers now. On day one of ownership I fitted KewlMetal 4.5" risers. The following summer I added the 1" or 2" BRP riser. I am at the limit of the cable travel now so can't do more in that area. I would like to.
    With the risers installed (or maybe with the standard GS riding position as well) my knees are quite bent. I have fitted floorboards & highway pegs so I found relief that way.

Should have bought an RT but finances dictated a GS or nothing

I'm 77 & have bad knees, short arms & legs etc...etc.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can't beat an RT for comfort, they are the easy chair Spyder. If you're looking for a more cruiser position, consider test sitting an F3. Most RS and ST models need some mods to get to RT comfort levels. Why are you switching, perhaps that's the first question.

If you're looking for sporty handling the RS/ST are the ones to go to, at the expense of more aggressive ergonomics. But that's part of the deal, you don't expect lazy boy sitting position while you attack corners. It's apples and oranges.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Can't beat an RT for comfort, they are the easy chair Spyder. If you're looking for a more cruiser position, consider test sitting an F3. Most RS and ST models need some mods to get to RT comfort levels. Why are you switching, perhaps that's the first question.

If you're looking for sporty handling the RS/ST are the ones to go to, at the expense of more aggressive ergonomics. But that's part of the deal, you don't expect lazy boy sitting position while you attack corners. It's apples and oranges.
    I am not getting rid of the RT, I just want a second one. The wife wants to ride alone, not two up. I think I will wait to buy a used RT or maybe F3. I just don't think I would be happy with a GS.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beef56 View Post
    I am not getting rid of the RT, I just want a second one. The wife wants to ride alone, not two up. I think I will wait to buy a used RT or maybe F3. I just don't think I would be happy with a GS.
    Sounds like a good decision. The Missus will claim the RT for sure. That will leave you with the GS or RS. GS was 08 and changed to RS in 09.

The F3 at least offers some leeway with the U-fit system. Pegs and handlebars are adjustable. Let us know when the decision is finally made.

2020 F3L , Magma Red