Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REAR ENDED

Spyder Garage

Default REAR ENDED

Got hit in the back on Friday while watiing at a drive up window.Not a lot of damage to my RTL but enough to cause me to miss a couple of weeks of riding.I must say if I was on 2 wheels I think I would of been sent flying but the stability of 3 wheels only caused a slight whip lash.Took the bike to the dealer today and they will see whats needed and make repairs once the adjuster comes and looks at it,appears the only damage is the black plastic rear piece got smashed,no damage to the painted areas.Lady was in a Toyote Highlander and her bumper hit me just above the license plate and smashed the plastic.The tire cushoined the impact and whiped me,she was stopped about 2-3 ft behind me and let her foot off the brake and rolled into me.I was a little sore around my neck the next day but x-rays showed no bone damage,just soft tissue which will heal over time.Nothing I could of done nothing to prevent it just another cager not paying attention.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by slick999 View Post
    Got hit in the back on Friday while watiing at a drive up window.Not a lot of damage to my RTL but enough to cause me to miss a couple of weeks of riding.I must say if I was on 2 wheels I think I would of been sent flying but the stability of 3 wheels only caused a slight whip lash.Took the bike to the dealer today and they will see whats needed and make repairs once the adjuster comes and looks at it,appears the only damage is the black plastic rear piece got smashed,no damage to the painted areas.Lady was in a Toyote Highlander and her bumper hit me just above the license plate and smashed the plastic.The tire cushoined the impact and whiped me,she was stopped about 2-3 ft behind me and let her foot off the brake and rolled into me.I was a little sore around my neck the next day but x-rays showed no bone damage,just soft tissue which will heal over time.Nothing I could of done nothing to prevent it just another cager not paying attention.
    Hate to hear that. Probably talking or texting. Glad you are ok.
    David

Spyder Garage

Got hit in the back on Friday while watiing at a drive up window.Not a lot of damage to my RTL but enough to cause me to miss a couple of weeks of riding.I must say if I was on 2 wheels I think I would of been sent flying but the stability of 3 wheels only caused a slight whip lash.Took the bike to the dealer today and they will see whats needed and make repairs once the adjuster comes and looks at it,appears the only damage is the black plastic rear piece got smashed,no damage to the painted areas.Lady was in a Toyote Highlander and her bumper hit me just above the license plate and smashed the plastic.The tire cushoined the impact and whiped me,she was stopped about 2-3 ft behind me and let her foot off the brake and rolled into me.I was a little sore around my neck the next day but x-rays showed no bone damage,just soft tissue which will heal over time.Nothing I could of done
    nothing to prevent it just another cager not paying attention.
    I think in this case even if you were on 2 wheels, you might have dropped your bike but wouldn't have been launched because lucky for you this was a drive through and she was initially stopped and the vehicle rolled into you. If this is at an intersection its a different outcome, glad to see you and your bike are safe.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you're okay.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As far as having something bad happen: this one is easily survivable!
    Did you give her a bit of a lecture before the Law Enforcement Personnel showed up?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Glad you are OK!

Sorry to hear about the accident.....at a drive up window - wow!

I am always looking in my mirrors for people coming up on me quickly at intersections and on the 2 lane roads especially when making a left. I don't think I would be watching my mirrors at the drive up window though....thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 08-08-2017 at 05:29 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Glad your going to be ok

Good lesson for us to learn. People are infacuated with their mobile devices driving 75 mph or sitting in a drive thru. I too hope you had a chance to give them a bit of a lecture before the police showed up.
    2016 RT-Ltd
    Bajaron swaybar
    Spyderpops trunk light
    Elka stage 2 front shocks
    Extra longbrake pedal
    brake modulator
    Centramatic wheel balancers on the front and rear.
    Rivco dual flag holder
    Tricled mirror turn signal indicators
    with American and Texas flags
    Lamonster Magic Mirrors
    missing belt guard
    Lambskin seat cover from Smokey mountain sheepskin.com
    Tricled 360 degree led Headlights
    Lamonster led fog lights
    Baker air wings
    2019 Silverado Duramax dually
    2019 Cyclone 4007 toyhauler
    Spyderpops bumpskid w led light
    Rivco brand footrest
    spydermanexhaust.com exhaust
    had my exhaust installed @ Spyder in the hills.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    As far as having something bad happen: this one is easily survivable!
    Did you give her a bit of a lecture before the Law Enforcement Personnel showed up?

Didn't call law enforcement since it was private property,dairy farm,she admitted to being wrong,she is mennonite,we exchanged info and by the time I got home she had already contacted her insurance so hopefully everything will go smooth.At least it wasn't the Amish guy in his buggy behind her or I would of had a horse on me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Teresa View Post
    Glad you are OK!

Sorry to hear about the accident.....at a drive up window - wow!

I am always looking in my mirrors for people coming up on me quickly at intersections and on the 2 lane roads especially when making a left. I don't think I would be watching my mirrors at the drive up window though....thanks for sharing.
    I had been watching her in my mirrors as she was running close as I pulled into the property but I saw she had stopped then about 10 seconds later she hit me

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Private Property

Didn't call law enforcement since it was private property,dairy farm,she admitted to being wrong,she is mennonite,we exchanged info and by the time I got home she had already contacted her insurance so hopefully everything will go smooth.At least it wasn't the Amish guy in his buggy behind her or I would of had a horse on me.
    In a lot of jurisdictions ( if not most ) this would be considered a public highway ( road ) and therefore under police purview ............ Which also means, don't get DRUNK in your car in your driveway ( I don't mean you ) .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...😠

Glad your alright and the damage is seemingly slight. Make sure they check further than the pastics around the fender area there may be more in the rear shock/ shock mount, swingarm etc. Hope it is only the plastics....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Glad you are okay.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hope it all works out for you and your .

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Public street, private property, or parking lot..... makes no difference. She hit you and that is a traffic offence. I wouldn't hesitate a minute filing a police report. By the time her insurance company gets done, they could have YOU backing up into HER. Sometimes when honest people find out the financial consequences of their actions, their memory grows dim...... Good luck and glad you were not seriously injured.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Thankful you didn't get hurt. Glad it wasn't a red light collision.
    HAND'S UP:
    The only sure way of getting rid of bad habits is to create good ones.
    AND, by the way, this will not happen on auto pilot.

It's time for a YOU-turn!!!

Spyder Garage

Default ACCIDENT

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Glad your alright and the damage is seemingly slight. Make sure they check further than the pastics around the fender area there may be more in the rear shock/ shock mount, swingarm etc. Hope it is only the plastics....
    ... ..... Remember if it hit the tire , there will be a chain reaction to ALL the parts in the Suspension System ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default ACCIDENT

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Public street, private property, or parking lot..... makes no difference. She hit you and that is a traffic offence. I wouldn't hesitate a minute filing a police report. By the time her insurance company gets done, they could have YOU backing up into HER. Sometimes when honest people find out the financial consequences of their actions, their memory grows dim...... Good luck and glad you were not seriously injured.
    ON THIS ALSO .... a bad scenario would be ...if She filed report that you backed into Her and then You fled the scene ... Not farfetched - this happened to me right after I got my license to drive ........ Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-09-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is some REALLY good news!
    Isn't it a bit alarming, when you're surprised at the honest folks who are still out there?
    I'm glad to hear that her insurance company is already "in the loop".
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Glad you are OK
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Last time a person backed into me in a parking lot and dented the back of the car I called the police and all they told us was to exchange info,nothing they could do since they wern't there and didn't see it.I wasn't worried about her denying it as there was a worker off to the side who saw and heard it.Like I said if it had to happen at least it was minor and It looks like just plastic damage,dealer checked back to front and hasn't found anything else at this time.

Spyder Garage

Default massage time

spend a few dollars and get a neuro-muscular / massage therapist to work on that neck - you wont regret it.

Spyder Garage

At least it wasn't the Amish guy in his buggy behind [me] or I would of had a horse on me.
    Nah, the horse (of any religion, or not) would have had better sense, even if the driver was texting, or otherwise asleep.

However, glad you're OK; just be certain your bike is fixed properly and completely. And wait a couple of months before signing off on any release of claim re your whiplash. That stuff can sometimes linger and not be totally better for a while. Insurance adjusters like to write you a quick check and kiss you off; after that, you can't go back, if needed. I speak from experience of having been badly whip-lashed, with back injury, caused by a driver using a cell phone when he rammed me from behind - tore the rear axle right off my van when he submarined me at a stoplight. Crumpled the front of his compact car, but the guy got out and walked away... phone still in his hand!!
    Last edited by bushrat; 08-09-2017 at 08:44 AM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rudym View Post
    spend a few dollars and get a neuro-muscular / massage therapist to work on that neck - you wont regret it.
    If I had the money, I get a couple massages a week. Of all the massages I've had, I keep going back to foot massages at an Asian spa in N.J. They seem to help all over, and not just the feet. It hurts so good.

To the OP, glad you and the spyder are relatively okay.

Spyder Garage

Amish don't text

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don'tPanic View Post
    Amish don't text
    And generalities are usually WRONG.