Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default A word about octane --

I'm re-posting this from the FJR1300 forum (from a friend there) -- I thought it was interesting.
    He copied it from a "car column" in his local newspaper and was a reply to a lady who wanted to know "what octane fuel to put in her Lexus"
    Read away

"People mistakenly think of gasoline grades as 'good, better, best.' That's because gasoline companies have done a masterful job of marketing. By calling the highter-octane fuels 'Premium,' they've convinced people that higher octane is somehow better. It's not.

"Instead, think of octane like your shoe size. If you wear a size 9, would you buy a size 13 because it has a higher number and therefore, has to be better? Of course not. You'd end up with blisters. And maybe get some extra money by working as a birthday party clown.

"The octane rating is a measure of the temperature at which the fuel will detonate inside the cylinder. Every engine is designed to be used with fuel of a specific octane.

"You don't want fuel with a lower octane than is required (because you can get pinging, pr pre-ignition, which can damage the engine), but you don't want fuel with a higher octane either (because you'll be throwing away your money). And since Lexus (read: "Yamaha") says in the owner's manual that your car is designed to run on 87-octane fuel, that's what you should get.

"In the old days you used to hear that using higher-octane fuel had all kinds of beneficial properties: it would clean out your carburetor, it would remove carbon from your pistons, it contained special detergents to clean your fuel injectors, it would regrow hair.

"All of those are false. Cars don't have carburetors anymore. Carbon doesn't build up on pistons. And fuels of all grades contain detergents.

"Save your money, Dee. Buy the grade of fuel recommended by your manufacturer, and wear the right size shoe, too."

Spyder Garage

IMO another reality, is in the case of my BMW, it says Premium only, but as someone on the BMW forum pointed out, they are sold all over the world and in 3rd world countries, good luck getting decent gas. The computer in all modern cars adjust the timing/whatever to match the fuel. I'm been burning 87 in my BMW for awhile now and no pinging or power loss, and maybe I'm getting a mile or 2 fewer miles to the gallon. Of course, since we aren't paying $4+ per gallon, Premium prices aren't that big of a deal.

When in a tourist area and the gas is way up there, I've put 87 in the Spyder and notice no difference in performance. I usually get 30 MPG no matter what I do, so IMO burn what you want, keep good records and that will tell you if it makes a difference.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

There are some good points out there. IMHO I have driven many rental cars and testing the difference betweeen the 87 octane fuel, 89 octane fuel and the 91 octane fuel from Hanford, CA to San Diego, Ca (Approximately 5 hour drive). The result from different cars with a 4 cylinder the 91 octane fuel burns slower than the 87 octane fuel. When using the 87 octane fuel; it took me one in Los Angles, Ca to refuel one way to San Diego. When I utilize the 91 octane fuel it took me one re-fill at San Diego. The conclusion the 91 octane fuel burns slower than than the 87. By the way, California gases are freaking expensive. Therefore, I got my gas on a military base.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ussoldier View Post
    There are some good points out there. IMHO I have driven many rental cars and testing the difference betweeen the 87 octane fuel, 89 octane fuel and the 91 octane fuel from Hanford, CA to San Diego, Ca (Approximately 5 hour drive). The result from different cars with a 4 cylinder the 91 octane fuel burns slower than the 87 octane fuel. When using the 87 octane fuel; it took me one in Los Angles, Ca to refuel one way to San Diego. When I utilize the 91 octane fuel it took me one re-fill at San Diego. The conclusion the 91 octane fuel burns slower than than the 87. By the way, California gases are freaking expensive. Therefore, I got my gas on a military base.
    but there is good news coming for you. I have been reading that California may vote to leave the Union. Then everybody would be happy.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ussoldier View Post
    By the way, California gases are freaking expensive.
    Try coming up to Canada to find expensive gas.... (now someone from the UK or Australia will chime in, and I'll be quiet compared to them)

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    The computer in all modern cars adjust the timing/whatever to match the fuel.
    That's a common misconception; it's only partly true.

There is no computer that samples the fuel to see what it's octane is.

The knock detector will only retard the timing, it will not increase it for a fuel of higher octane than what it was designed for.
    AND if the octane is so low that it pre-ignites before the spark hits, changing the spark timing does nothing for that.

Varying the valve timing might help with that but I don't think any fuel management systems are that sophisticated.

Spyder Garage

"Save your money, Dee. Buy the grade of fuel recommended by your manufacturer, and wear the right size shoe, too."[/QUOTE]

True. BRP Requires the use of 91 Octane or higher in all 2013 and newer Spyders.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it...

back when the range in octanes was 66 to 105 with lead and no ethenol it made a lot of sense. Now-a-days your normal choices are 87 to 95 with ethenol mostly and you will find that most engines do fine with any of them. Someday they will narrow it down to one nonetheless good points made and according to the piece we should all be using the highest if our manual says so. I run 91 and seafoam every few tankfuls and the engine is happy but mostly because the difference on a six gallon tank is not even a dollar here...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I use what the manual tells me - 91 -- makes sense if the engine was built for that.

On our recent trip in 8 or 9 of the States we rode through, the highest octane available was 87 -- Spyder ran just wonderfully.
    Did it affect my mileage ? Who knows ?

Maybe if I'd been able to get 91 octane the whole trip the Spyder would have burned through 164 gallons instead of 166

Spyder Garage

In all our travels, I have only had one station in a small nowhere NM town that did not have premium gas available. Any town with a population larger than about 500 has a name brand gas station with at least two grades. Its mostly been a non-issue for us.

I have paid a pretty high price for it on occasion. South Fork Colorado Conoco is my personal high point at 4.79 when gas back home was 3 something.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Cool

Out here in Ohio, I guess I need to try to find 91 octane. Most stations in my area have only 87, 89, and 93.

So I mix 89 and 93 alternately. I know that is not really 91 octane but it makes me happy to think so.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    True. BRP Requires the use of 91 Octane or higher in all 2013 and newer Spyders.
    Pretty sure that it's been pointed out once already in this thread that "requires" is not the right word.
    "Recommended" but not required.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KosherKid View Post
    Out here in Ohio, I guess I need to try to find 91 octane.
    The recommendation is for 91 OR HIGHER.
    In no way do you NEED 91 as opposed to 93.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    That's one way to get rid of Nancy Pelosi. Oh no, did I just make this a political post?
    Ooooops!
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    That's one way to get rid of Nancy Pelosi. Oh no, did I just make this a political post?
    I see nothing, I hear nothing, I read nothing.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KosherKid View Post
    Out here in Ohio, I guess I need to try to find 91 octane. Most stations in my area have only 87, 89, and 93.

So I mix 89 and 93 alternately. I know that is not really 91 octane but it makes me happy to think so.
    Chitina AK, you get some kind of gas from a 150 gallon or so tank with a hose attached. It worked okay in our Spyders.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-08-2017 at 01:56 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    I usually get 30 MPG no matter what I do, so IMO burn what you want, keep good records and that will tell you if it makes a difference.
    30 mpg? Seems a little low for a 1330 RT. How hard do you ride it?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    but there is good news coming for you. I have been reading that California may vote to leave the Union. Then everybody would be happy. Joe
    Now, was that comment really necessary?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default 91 Octane

During the rally in Valcourt, we were in the Can Am testing facility. The tech who was demonstrating their dyno said the bike is built for 91 octane. Lower you get knocking, which is mitigated by the engine retarding its ignition point. Higher contributes nothing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Pretty sure that it's been pointed out once already in this thread that "requires" is not the right word.
    You are correct. Page 56 of my 2014 owners manual says "Recommended Fuel". Further on in bold lettering it says "NOTICE. NEVER EXPERIMENT WITH OTHER FUELS. ENGINE OR FUEL SYSTEM DAMAGES MAY OCCUR WITH THE USE OF AN INADEQUATE FUEL.

NOTICE. DO NOT USE FUEL FROM FUEL PUMPS LABELLED E85.

Re-check your manual and read the whole article. Don't stop when you find it convenient.
    Bruce

2014 RTS-SE6
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena BT Dongle
    Sirius Radio
    Dash bar
    Show Chrome Trunk Rack

"You know that a politician is lying if his lips are moving"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Go read the engine and emissions label on the frame under the seat (RT) or in the Frunk (F3). Requires IS the correct word. It changed in 2013 when the compression ratio went up.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Chitina AK, you get some kind of gas from a 150 gallon or so tank with a hose attached. It worked okay in our Spyders.

If I get to ride to Chitina AK I will NOT complain about the gas!

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

LIVING IN THE LAND OF OZ

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT SHE SAY

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Go read the engine and emissions label on the frame under the seat (RT)
    I just did......and the word "required" is not on there. Neither is recommended.

I am not arguing that the engine design does not require 91 octane; I don't know if it does or not.

BRP does not say that it is "required". If it is, they should simply say THAT and not "recommended".

I personally will not be taking the chance........as all engine knock is not necessarily audible to the operator.......and the spark retardation thing does NOTHING if it is real pre-spark compression detonation.

Spyder Garage

I live in the lower mainland of British Columbia, Canada 🇨🇦 and it costs approximately $4.00 more per fillup for premium gas instead of regular. My point is "why take a chance".
    Bruce

2014 RTS-SE6
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena BT Dongle
    Sirius Radio
    Dash bar
    Show Chrome Trunk Rack

"You know that a politician is lying if his lips are moving"