Spyder Garage

Default USB charging port question

I want to install a USB port charger on my Spyder RS. Does anyone know where I can plug it or if there is a accesorie cable?

And I don't want to plug it directly on the battery, I heard that it can drain out the battery.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gigamax View Post
    I want to install a USB port charger on my Spyder RS. Does anyone know where I can plug it or if there is a accesorie cable?

And I don't want to plug it directly on the battery, I heard that it can drain out the battery.

Thanks

It wont drain the battery if there is nothing plugged into it.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Lot of options

Thanks
    Yes, go direct to battery. Even if you leave your phone plugged in would take WEEKS to drain the battery enough not to start it. Having said that - You know those two ugly needle indicators on your dash? Pull them out (they will show up on display now), and replace them. I put a 12V cig in one for universal use (GPS, CB, etc.) and the dual USB in the other. Lot of youtube videos about that.

I also drilled the hole in the left speaker cover (search youtube for Finless Bob's video). That is working well also. I run a USB cable to mine & wifes helmet on long trips, GPS and phone all going

You can also get the mount for the handlebars (putting the USB in the middle over the bolts), but IMHO that is not a pretty solution.

Another nice option is the mounting bar from one of the sponsors here that goes on the dash cover, under the wind shield. Has a kit to mount a USB there, along with RAM mounts to hold you devices.

Just my 2 cents!

Steve

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    Yes, go direct to battery. Even if you leave your phone plugged in would take WEEKS to drain the battery enough not to start it. Having said that - You know those two ugly needle indicators on your dash? Pull them out (they will show up on display now), and replace them. I put a 12V cig in one for universal use (GPS, CB, etc.) and the dual USB in the other. Lot of youtube videos about that.

I also drilled the hole in the left speaker cover (search youtube for Finless Bob's video). That is working well also. I run a USB cable to mine & wifes helmet on long trips, GPS and phone all going

You can also get the mount for the handlebars (putting the USB in the middle over the bolts), but IMHO that is not a pretty solution.

Another nice option is the mounting bar from one of the sponsors here that goes on the dash cover, under the wind shield. Has a kit to mount a USB there, along with RAM mounts to hold you devices.

Just my 2 cents!

Steve
    Link to mounting bar please!

Spyder Garage

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-RT-Dash-Mount

Just put this on several weeks ago. Great location to mount GPS, phone, radar detector, etc .
    This is a link to recent post discussing the same thing.

Spyder Garage

I want to install a USB port charger on my Spyder RS.
    Remember folks, he has an RS not an RT.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Remember folks, he has an RS not an RT.
    Yes I have an RS...the RT seems easier but for the RS I can't find anywere to connect except directly on the battery.

On the fuse box there is a ''accesories'' 3 amp fuse...Does anyone know if, and how can I plug it on the fuse box.

Thanks for your answers!

Spyder Garage

I added several usb/cigarette plug outlets and needed an easier way to power them, so from others on Spyderlovers, I found out about the Fuze Block. https://www.tricledusa.com/_p/prd1/3...uze-block-fz-1
    This add on fuse box lets you add up to 6 additional circuits that can be either hot all the time or switched thru the ignition.
    Then you hook this straight to the battery and a switched line.

Spyder Garage

My 2012 RS has one of these: http://www.can-ambrpparts.com/oemcat...wer-outlet-kit
    I simply plug an adapter into it that has two USB ports.
    It's in the frunk, though, so not the most convenient place for something like navigation.
    ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
    2012 Spyder RS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RiverCity45 View Post
    My 2012 RS has one of these: http://www.can-ambrpparts.com/oemcat...wer-outlet-kit
    I simply plug an adapter into it that has two USB ports.
    It's in the frunk, though, so not the most convenient place for something like navigation.
    Does anyone know if the 2012 RS Sm5 has an sae connection near the front right shock, supposedly zip tied in that general area and possibly a picture of its location?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by The Ancients View Post
    Does anyone know if the 2012 RS Sm5 has an sae connection near the front right shock, supposedly zip tied in that general area and possibly a picture of its location?
    Front left not right. 2 female spade connectors inside a rubber boot. Zip tied to the frame. To front near the top of the shock. That is if it has not been used already for the optional 12v accessory socket in the front trunk.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thank you very much I appreciate it, I was trying to find it and tell the Can Am techs here at the shop I use where it was located they didn’t believe it was around or was even attached I’ll be looking to see if the original owner had it installed into the trunk.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I simply use the SAE plug that I have wired to the battery for the battery tender. Got myself one of these and it charges my phone in the tank bag.

MOTOPOWER-MP0609E-3-1Amp-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Dual-USB-Charger-Kit-SAE-to-USB-Adapter-with-Moun.jpg
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Wiring straight to battery for a 12v or USB port is not a bad thing. It would take a very long time, with your phone plugged in actively charging, before it drains the battery. We're talking 10+days to a couple of weeks, depending on whether or not the port you install has an LED light built in that's always on (I recommend getting ports that do not have LED).

Another option is to install a 12v rocker switch in line with the port, so you can turn it on/off as needed. This is what I did so I could charge my phone without the trike running if needed, but also keep it powered off since I don't have a garage and my spyder is always outside, sometimes uncovered.

Final option is to splice it in with existing wiring that only comes on when the key is turned to the on position. I don't know of any that are specifically labeled "accessory" for the RS, however if you take the side panels off of the RIGHT side, there is a bundle of wires going into a 1.5 inch to 2 inch, square plug. I tapped into power and ground there for my 12v LED running lights, but it's been a couple of years and I don't remember the color of the wires I used. I've also heard rumor of the spade connectors for the 12v outlet in the frunk being covered and tied to the frame, if you don't have the 12v outlet installed, but I've never gone looking for it so can't verify that.

Cy
    Cy
    1. Why do they call you Cy? It's short for Sexy Cyclops
    2. What happened to your eye? Space Monkeys happened.
    3. What do you ride? Black 2015 Cam Am Spyder RS

Spyder Garage

What year RS do you have? Some of the options people are giving you won't apply to the early models.
    I added a USB port on when I added driving lights. It's hooked directly to the battery, and wired in with the switch for the lights. I have to turn the lights on to power the outlet, but that doesn't bother me. I didn't want the LED light on the port to drain the battery.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    It wont drain the battery if there is nothing plugged into it.
    Not necessarily true.
    A bare power socket is like that.
    But an actual USB power supply DOES draw some current even when nothing is charging.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    Yes, go direct to battery. Even if you leave your phone plugged in would take WEEKS to drain the battery enough not to start it.
    Sorry but that is BAD advice.

Not only do some people not ride FOR WEEKS, but some devices pull more power than others.
    AND Li batteries sometimes do funny things.......like short out and explode.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

photo 1.jpg

I have posted this several times, but here it is again......
    I have 2 of them on my Spyder one in the dash and one in back for
    the passenger. it comes with everything you need fuse and all wires
    it's water proof and it's $12.49. Don't pay any attention to the date shown
    this is an old screen shot.
    It's from Cycle Gear you can get it on line or at your local Cycle Gear store
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 08-09-2018 at 12:44 PM.