Spyder Garage

Default Can Am trailer question

Just bought myself a RT 622 trailer.

Here's my question. If I want to disconnect my trailer while staying a day or two at a hotel/motel, how does one secure the trailer so it doesn't get stolen?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jzb54 View Post
    Just bought myself a RT 622 trailer.

Here's my question. If I want to disconnect my trailer while staying a day or two at a hotel/motel, how does one secure the trailer so it doesn't get stolen?
    I carry a cable with looped ends and a padlock. I run it through at least one wheel and around a tree, light post, etc. If that's not available try to immobilize it by running the cable through the two wheels. Unfortunately, a couple guys could just lift it into the back of a truck if they're determined to steal it.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Congrats on finding a RT622. Just curious... What year and color were you able to find? Did you find it at a dealer or private seller?

I plan on doing a long distance trip next year and have started looking for a Pearl White RT622 online. One more quick question... What year RT622s are most compatible with the 2014 RT-Limited (connector pin, etc)?

I did a long distance trip in 2015 but didn't need a trailer then because we had a support vehicle pulling a closed box trailer with all our gear; 10 riders in all.
    Last edited by 3 Wheel Rider; 08-06-2017 at 08:54 PM.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Spyder Garage

you don't.............any other questions?

I guess it could be made more difficult, by something as simple as facing it "backwards" in it's parking space.

Plus remember, it IS a CanAm trailer. Now the contents? I wouldn't leave anything I loved in my untended trailer.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

About 2" aft of the hitch coupling there is a hole through the frame of the tongue with two plastic plugs; one on each side. I installed a stainless steel eyebolt through that hole. I carry a 9' long very heavy duty motorcycle lock cable that I got at Cycle Gear. The eye of the bolt is big enough to pass that cable through. The 9' cable is long enough to go around a light pole, tree, or anything else available where you park. I also have a trailer hitch lock that locks the hitch coupling closed. If you go with the eyebolt, after you secure it, if you take a hammer and give the protruding threads a good whack, it will be very hard for someone with the right wrench to simply unbolt it! Of course, nothing will stop a determined thief with a good pair of bolt cutters.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    About 2" aft of the hitch coupling there is a hole through the frame of the tongue with two plastic plugs; one on each side. I installed a stainless steel eyebolt through that hole. I carry a 9' long very heavy duty motorcycle lock cable that I got at Cycle Gear. The eye of the bolt is big enough to pass that cable through. The 9' cable is long enough to go around a light pole, tree, or anything else available where you park. I also have a trailer hitch lock that locks the hitch coupling closed. If you go with the eyebolt, after you secure it, if you take a hammer and give the protruding threads a good whack, it will be very hard for someone with the right wrench to simply unbolt it! Of course, nothing will stop a determined thief with a good pair of bolt cutters.
    That's about what it takes, unfortunately.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default trailers

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    That's about what it takes, unfortunately.
    I have a freedom trailer, love it. I secure it with a long cable and lock. I figure if they really want it bad enough it is gone. But not only do I get a brand new trailer but I get all new stuff inside. LOL !! It's like losing your luggage, makes you mad but not really that big of deal !!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have a sign that reads "Is Stealing This Trailer Worth Your Life?"

Spyder Garage

Default Locks

We use a coupler lock similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpowe...s=trailer+lock as well a long cable to a fixed item through the wheels if possible, if not both at least one. We also try to leave the trailer where there are folks coming and going and under as much light as possible.

Spyder Garage

Use a trailer ball lock. Available at most auto parts stores. It fits into the trailer hitch and locks in. There is no place to attack it with cable cutters. I suppose a couple of guys could lift the trailer into the back of a pickup and drive away..... but that can happen with any locking system. I just keep it locked up and when leaving the trailer alone, I move it close to the motel office where it can be looked after
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

We use the Reese coupler lock as shown in this set: https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpowe...keywords=reese

Other than that, we do not leave the trailer anywhere when we pull it. It stays attached the entire trip. Too light and easy to walk off with and, honestly, I never know it is behind the bike. Only an issue for parking as it is a short trailer. Just have to get used to backing up with it.
    Regards,
    BitSlayer

2015 Spyder RT Limited - Perl White
    - Having fun with my knees in the breeze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A lock through the hitch and a cable through a wheel works for me. If you're traveling with friends lock both trailers together.

3WheelRider any year if RT622 is compatible with your 14 RT as long as the trailer has the grounding harness
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622