Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default ANOTHER REAR TIRE BITES IT

cleaning tires and wheels sat and glanced at the rear center. whoa!
    there goes my high mileage tire story. did just get to 10,000 . not trying
    for more. the altimax goes on wed. gonna start at 20 #. 2 up we are about 380#.
    from what i read ,should be a good starting point? on the other hand[end],
    the fronts are doing fine.i have a set of fomozas waiting too. thanks for all
    the info posted by everyone. --irv toms002.JPG001.jpg
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good for you, getting 10K out of those, you did well.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irvin48 View Post
    cleaning tires and wheels sat and glanced at the rear center. whoa!
    there goes my high mileage tire story. did just get to 10,000 . not trying
    for more. the altimax goes on wed. gonna start at 20 #. 2 up we are about 380#.
    from what i read ,should be a good starting point? on the other hand[end],
    the fronts are doing fine.i have a set of fomozas waiting too. thanks for all
    the info posted by everyone. --irv toms002.JPG001.jpg
    I'm sure that spyder riders with many more miles under their belt will chime in. My first question is did you measure your tread depth away from the bars?????? Those look like the anti-hydroplane blocks(that's what I've been told). I'll bet you've got 5-6/32nds tread left on the tire. According to most tire places, the ABSOLUTE tire change point is 2/32nds. Discount tire feels that the tire could be changed between 4/32nds and 2/32nds depending on how it's hydroplaning. Like you, I have a new rear tire "in waiting" . We have 3 months left in the riding season and my rear tire has 8500 miles on it. I will be close to 10K miles by the time I put my Spyder into hibernation. Since I ride 2-up 95% of the time, I plan to change it at the beginning of next season. You can lookup the load data/PSI for any tire based on it load rating. 20 PSI is where I'm starting. Wouldn't be surprised if I get to 22 PSI. I wonder if there is a recommended minimum tire pressure inflation for a given tire?????
    Mike
    Last edited by MikeT; 08-06-2017 at 08:11 AM.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Our rear tire didn't look quite as good as yours on one side but if you spun it 180°, it was as smooth as a baby's butt! Totally devoid of any tread!

It was like the tread was not concentric with the tire bead. It was not a result of a flat spot from the wheel being locked up and skidded. There was no abrupt change in tread depth, just a gradual increase and decrease as you spun the tire. I've never seen anything like it.

On a side note, we just bought my wife a new bicycle yesterday. It has Kenda tires! I'll be keeping an eye on them for wear. What size and brand car tires should I replace them with? Should I replace them right away or just wait until they wear out?
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Default Curious. ....

if those are pictures of your current tire you have another 10,000 left on it...the wear bars are the lowest ones....

20160504_090715.jpg that triangle is in line with the wear bars...
    20160324_085157.jpg This is what your tire looks like when you are on the wear bars....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    if those are pictures of your current tire you have another 10,000 left on it...the wear bars are the lowest ones....

20160324_085157.jpg This is what your tire looks like when you are on the wear bars....

Thanks for this Gene. Too many people are totally un aware of the true wear bars and trash a perfectly good tire at about half wear.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WORN TIRE

....... If that was my tire I wouldn't change it ( and I'm Anal about tire safety ) ...UNLESS you ride in the RAIN ....MOST of the time ..... otherwise just slow down a bit ..... the Nanny is damn good at preventing sliding .......jmho ...... Mike .....However I think maybe 5,000 mi. more ...tires usually wear faster at the end of their life .....

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have to agree with Chupaca, jaherbst and Mike. Measure your tread depth at the triangles shown by Chupaca and find out what the correct depth is. Those in your picture are not the wear bars.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

maybe i should have shown some other areas.boiler animal hit the nail on the head.
    that pic was a high spot and im 2lazy to hook my camera up to the computer.

wasnt there someone who posted about new tire breakin?
    had never heard it b4. shouldnt matter with a spyder. you dont lean.
    Last edited by irvin48; 08-06-2017 at 06:41 PM.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

The "bad" tire also looks like there are at least 5K miles left to me.

I consistently get 15K on the rear OEM tires. I do ride conservatively--as in no burn outs or quick stopping.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    I'm sure that spyder riders with many more miles under their belt will chime in. My first question is did you measure your tread depth away from the bars?????? Those look like the anti-hydroplane blocks(that's what I've been told). I'll bet you've got 5-6/32nds tread left on the tire. According to most tire places, the ABSOLUTE tire change point is 2/32nds. Discount tire feels that the tire could be changed between 4/32nds and 2/32nds depending on how it's hydroplaning. Like you, I have a new rear tire "in waiting" . We have 3 months left in the riding season and my rear tire has 8500 miles on it. I will be close to 10K miles by the time I put my Spyder into hibernation. Since I ride 2-up 95% of the time, I plan to change it at the beginning of next season. You can lookup the load data/PSI for any tire based on it load rating. 20 PSI is where I'm starting. Wouldn't be surprised if I get to 22 PSI. I wonder if there is a recommended minimum tire pressure inflation for a given tire?????
    Mike
    You will probably not find load data by PSI for the car tire you are about to put on the Spyder. If you do, please post the link here. It should be a matrix showing the PSI and the max supported weight at each PSI in their scale. Kumho for example doesn't post any and only refers to inflating to the vehicle manufactures recommendation.

There is a lot of advice found here for tire inflation. Take it at your own risk.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Your tire looks pretty good to me. In fact it looks better than mine did when I left for Valcourt (6800 miles). Finally got a new rear after very close to 18000 miles. I would ryde that one about a bit more. As Mike said, the Nanny will keep you under controL
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You guys are missing what Irvin is saying. Read his post #10. It's in reference to my post #5. In post #5 I told about my experience with my rear tire. If you looked at it on the "good side" , it appeared to have 4000-5000 miles left before replacing. However, if you rotated the tire 180°, my tire was TOTALLY DEVOID of ANY tread. It was perfectly smooth.

It was not from a flat spot due to skidding the tire but rather a gradual increase and decrease in the tread, from fairly good to nothing! The tread surface was not concentric to the tire bead. I have never seen anything like it before.

The scary part was the fact that I was riding on a bad tire and was unaware of it because I only looked at the visible portion at the back when it was parked. One of those deals like flipping a coin and getting heads five or six times in a row. That was when I had a Yokohama put on.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Default INFLATION - PSI

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    You will probably not find load data by PSI for the car tire you are about to put on the Spyder. If you do, please post the link here. It should be a matrix showing the PSI and the max supported weight at each PSI in their scale. Kumho for example doesn't post any and only refers to inflating to the vehicle manufactures recommendation.

There is a lot of advice found here for tire inflation. Take it at your own risk.
    Dear Wacky ... as far as your concern goes , you need to put it in the context of the weight of the Spyder. Which is WAY under the capabilities of ANY Car tire I have ever heard about ( even the ones on the Smart car ). The information seek is available from the Tire Manufacturer if you really think something useful can be gained .... I'm a safety nut about Tires ..... andas far as the PSI per lb. of inflation goes .... Clark Gable said it perfectly -Frankly Dear I don't give a Damn .....

Spyder Garage

Default ODD WEAR PATTERN

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    You guys are missing what Irvin is saying. Read his post #10. It's in reference to my post #5. In post #5 I told about my experience with my rear tire. If you looked at it on the "good side" , it appeared to have 4000-5000 miles left before replacing. However, if you rotated the tire 180°, my tire was TOTALLY DEVOID of ANY tread. It was perfectly smooth.

It was not from a flat spot due to skidding the tire but rather a gradual increase and decrease in the tread, from fairly good to nothing! The tread surface was not concentric to the tire bead. I have never seen anything like it before.

The scary part was the fact that I was riding on a bad tire and was unaware of it because I only looked at the visible portion at the back when it was parked. One of those deals like flipping a coin and getting heads five or six times in a row. That was when I had a Yokohama put on.
    .I can't figure out how this could even occur on the REAR wheel of a Spyder .....Totally bizarre .... jmho ... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The information you are looking for is available by load rating for a given tire size; not by tire brand. For example:

225/50R15
    PSI/Load Index 91SL
    22 PSI-904 lbs
    23 PSI-948 lbs
    24 PSI-975 lbs
    25 PSI- 992 lbs
    26 PSI-1047 lbs
    27 PSI-1072 lbs
    28 PSI-1091 lbs
    29 PSI-1135 lbs
    30 PSI-1179 lbs
    31 PSI-1197 lbs
    32 PSI-1224 lbs
    33 PSI-1268 lbs
    34 PSI-1289 lbs
    35 PSI-1312 lbs
    36 PSI-1356 lbs
    From Guidelines for the Application of Load and Inflation Tables
    Hope this is what you are looking for
    Mike
    Last edited by MikeT; 08-07-2017 at 04:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Dear Wacky ... as far as your concern goes , you need to put it in the context of the weight of the Spyder. Which is WAY under the capabilities of ANY Car tire I have ever heard about ( even the ones on the Smart car ). The information seek is available from the Tire Manufacturer if you really think something useful can be gained .... I'm a safety nut about Tires ..... andas far as the PSI per lb. of inflation goes .... Clark Gable said it perfectly -Frankly Dear I don't give a Damn .....
    Hey man... I have yet to see a matrix of PSI and weight by table for car tires posted here. Pretty much every Car tire manufacturer doesn't list that other than to point you to the vehicle specified PSI. True story!

I'd be more interested to see a minimum safe PSI from a tire maker as there are a lot of assumptions made here on SL about PSI and some of those are pretty low.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    26,000 miles.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    The information you are looking for is available by load rating for a given tire size; not by tire brand. For example:

225/50R15
    PSI/Load Index 91SL
    22 PSI-904 lbs
    23 PSI-948 lbs
    24 PSI-975 lbs
    25 PSI- 992 lbs
    26 PSI-1047 lbs
    27 PSI-1072 lbs
    28 PSI-1091 lbs
    29 PSI-1135 lbs
    30 PSI-1179 lbs
    31 PSI-1197 lbs
    32 PSI-1224 lbs
    33 PSI-1268 lbs
    34 PSI-1289 lbs
    35 PSI-1312 lbs
    36 PSI-1356 lbs
    From Guidelines for the Application of Load and Inflation Tables
    Hope this is what you are looking for
    Mike

Thank you... That is better. I'm used to seeing manufacturer specific specs on things like light truck tires, large truck tires and trailer tires... Having searched car tires by make/brand I wasn't finding those.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    26,000 miles.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Default Tire - PSI thing

Hey man... I have yet to see a matrix of PSI and weight by table for car tires posted here. Pretty much every Car tire manufacturer doesn't list that other than to point you to the vehicle specified PSI. True story!

I'd be more interested to see a minimum safe PSI from a tire maker as there are a lot of assumptions made here on SL about PSI and some of those are pretty low.
    Hey man, as far as I know,.. myself and ... Peter Aawen ... are the only on this Forum who has actually gone to a school and studied what tires can do and can't do, among other accident related topics. Which means I'm not taking a S.W.A.G. when I talk about ..TIRES .... so if you want go on what : somebodies friend ,who has a cousin, that once rode a Spyder. That's fine with me because I'm not likely to ever meet you on a highway.......... annnnnnnd that chart you nicely put up was / is based on GENERALITY'S and frankly imho they don't really relate well to Spyders ........ Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-08-2017 at 11:04 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I sure hope you didn't go far on that tire.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you... That is better. I'm used to seeing manufacturer specific specs on things like light truck tires, large truck tires and trailer tires... Having searched car tires by make/brand I wasn't finding those.
    Glad I could help.
    If you want to compare the OEM Kenda, it is a 76 Load Rated tire. The OM states that the inflation pressure is 28 PSI +/- 2 PSI. Here is the data in that PSI range:
    26 PSI-683 lbs
    27 PSI-697 lbs
    28 PSI-705 lbs
    29 PSI-739 lbs
    30 PSI-772 lbs
    This data shows why when using a car tire, there are individuals advocating 18-20 PSI.

Spyder Garage

Default Stick a penny in the tread?

The handiest tire wear gauge around is probably in your pocket! Stick a penny in the tread (away from the wear bars) with the top of Lincoln's head down. If you can see the top of his head, the tread is worn below the limit.

There used to be PSAs on TV about this, but I haven't seen one in many years.
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    Our rear tire didn't look quite as good as yours on one side but if you spun it 180°, it was as smooth as a baby's butt! Totally devoid of any tread!

It was like the tread was not concentric with the tire bead. It was not a result of a flat spot from the wheel being locked up and skidded. There was no abrupt change in tread depth, just a gradual increase and decrease as you spun the tire. I've never seen anything like it.

On a side note, we just bought my wife a new bicycle yesterday. It has Kenda tires! I'll be keeping an eye on them for wear. What size and brand car tires should I replace them with? Should I replace them right away or just wait until they wear out?
    Hey BoilerAnimal, that sort of wear is almost certainly due to a poorly constructed & out of round tire!! The 'different tread depth' thing is not quite so uncommon as you might think, but it is pretty rare to be clearly visible/measurable on one full half of the tire!! Most often it appears as 'patches or sections' of tread that have different wear depths to the rest, but you can usually tell those tires are wearing that way due to the vibration, rotational thumping, & wobbling that occurs - I suspect that because so much of your tire was involved, that may have been a bit hard to feel because there would've been no 'regular' (or irregular) thumping as the high bits or lumps hit the road... you probably would've had more of a high velocity wave type undulation!! The Arachnid tires that some have tried only to have them rapidly wearing out just on one side of their tread is another example of how that type of tire construction issue might present!

As for the Kenda tire on your wife's bicycle, Kenda CAN & DO make some pretty reasonable tires.... just not those they sell to BRP for our Spyders!!

As for the load/pressure info that you are looking for WaccyDan & MikeT, most manufacturers DO in fact have that sort of info buried somewhere in their tech info/specs for the different tire models/tread patterns that they produce. It's just that these days, they tend to only publish the minimum/basic info their target market is likely to want, simply because too many people got confused by the complete details & couldn't find their specific data requirements or understand how to apply it in their particular case!! I posted a link for a specific type & sized tire in one of my posts on this Site, a link that I acquired thru my industry/manufacturer contacts to one manufacturer's table for a specific tire; & both I & that particular manufacturer almost immediately got swamped with questions on how to apply that info to other tires in their range as well as to different makes & types of tires, so much so that the manufacturer moved the table at about the same time as I removed the link!!

However, if you dig far enough &/or ask nicely enough, the load/pressure info (& a heap more interesting stuff too) that you are after for most tires you might be considering running on your Spyders DOES exist, manufacturers are REQUIRED to have it in order to get their tires accredited for sale in your countries & mine, & it is usually available from them if you specifically ask (or ask the right person, not just the sales wally!) altho it still might not be something a particular manufacturer is prepared to let loose/make available to the entire public! Be aware tho, it is often somewhat different to the generic load/pressure info provided for the nominal load ratings (altho that's usually a good start) Still, most tires have specific info detailing their Max Load/Max Pressure info printed on their sidewall (if they don't, they may not be ratified for sale in your country - or anywhere else!) & it doesn't take a mathematical genius to 'reverse engineer' that info to work out what pressure that tire will need to carry the significantly lighter loads our Spyders impose - just remember to add the '4psi constant' to cater for the dynamics of a moving tire & loadings over a static load!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-09-2017 at 08:17 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

When my tires look low on thread even not at the wear bars, I'd rather replace the tire than my life. All the talk about were the wear bars are show and millimeters are trivial to my well being. 70 bucks for a tire is cheaper than my hospital bills trying to push an extra 1k miles