Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Do you belong to a local Spyder club?

I know Spyders have been around 10 years now, but I think it's only in the last 5 years or so that there has been enough 'critical mass' of owners in any one geographical area to support the formation of clubs. And, I think healthy clubs and rallies are essential to providing Can-Am, its dealers and after-market sellers the kind of visibility, support and feedback necessary for them to continue making and supporting these amazing machines.

So, in the interest of helping spread the word about Spyders and engendering greater camaraderie around them, and maybe helping local clubs become more successful, I'd like to get some feedback from you all about your experience with SRA clubs in your area.

1. Do you belong to one? If so, what do they do that you like and what could be improved, in order to enhance your experience with the club?
    2. Have you considered joining one, or have joined but since quit? What were your reasons for that?
    3. Would you like to join one, but the nearest one is too far away to make active membership in it viable for you?
    4. And, for those of you with more experience on this forum, is there another thread I should be using? Are there any tools on here, such as surveys, that I should consider using?

Finally, and here is the BIG one depending on what state you're in - how does your club manage the potential risk of personal liability (for officers in particular) should someone be injured or property damaged on a club ride or other event? I don't believe that BRP provides any protection for clubs organized under its charter (Spyder Ryders of America), does it?

Thanks.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 08-05-2017 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Additional information
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

UP,
    I'll get the ball rolling.
    YES
    US SPYDER RIDERS-Brickyard Chapter. Have Scheduled(2nd Sunday), Support Charity, and Impromptu Rides
    Club is in its infancy(4 months); can be found on FB.
    Club Sponsoring Dealer: Dryer Can-Am: Spyderlovers.com Supporting Dealer
    $30.00/year dues
    Last edited by MikeT; 08-06-2017 at 07:30 AM.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    UP,
    I'll get the ball rolling.
    YES
    US SPYDER RIDERS-Brickyard Chapter. Have Scheduled(2nd Sunday), Support Charity, and Impromptu Rides
    Club is in its infancy(4 months); can be found on FB.
    Club Sponsoring Dealer: Dryer Can-Am: Spyderlovers.com Supporting Dealer
    Congratulations and good luck. You must be near the speedway?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

We belong to the MN Spyderlovers based out of Mora, MN. No dues and surported by Caswell's Cycle in Mora. One to two rides per Month from May through October weather permitting. Snow and Ice being the weather limiters. Great group of Spyder owners and fun to be with.

For us it's a 102 mile ride to get there. Once there we go on a ride with the group which has had as few as 10 and as many as 31 Spyders and two wheelers.

Next Saturday we have an overnight ride that stops for breakfast about 45 miles from us, so we will ride up to Mora and ride down with the Northern group that way we will have over 200 fun miles before breakfast.

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

No club in Maine as of yet.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have an SRA chapter in Las Vegas which generally meets on the first Saturday of the month at the dealer in Henderson.

There re are lots of chapters across the country for both SRA and US Spyders
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default I do...😆

I belong to the Spyder Ryder of America San Diego chapter and the national chapter. They ryde once a month and participate in many other rydes/charity rydes as well. They have lunch/dinner meet ups and group up at local bike night events. Unfortunately my new work consumes my weekends so I now solo ryde during the week but try to catch ip with them...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I know Spyders have been around 10 years now, but I think it's only in the last 5 years or so that there has been enough 'critical mass' of owners in any one geographical area to support the formation of clubs. And, I think healthy clubs and rallies are essential to providing Can-Am, its dealers and after-market sellers the kind of visibility, support and feedback necessary for them to continue making and supporting these amazing machines.

So, in the interest of helping spread the word about Spyders and engendering greater camaraderie around them, and maybe helping local clubs become more successful, I'd like to get some feedback from you all about your experience with SRA clubs in your area.

1. Do you belong to one? If so, what do they do that you like and what could be improved, in order to enhance your experience with the club?
    2. Have you considered joining one, or have joined but since quit? What were your reasons for that?
    3. Would you like to join one, but the nearest one is too far away to make active membership in it viable for you?
    4. And, for those of you with more experience on this forum, is there another thread I should be using? Are there any tools on here, such as surveys, that I should consider using?

Finally, and here is the BIG one depending on what state you're in - how does your club manage the potential risk of personal liability (for officers in particular) should someone be injured or property damaged on a club ride or other event? I don't believe that BRP provides any protection for clubs organized under its charter (Spyder Ryders of America), does it?

Thanks.
    Bump with highlighted new question.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thanks.
    Just want to give you another side of the coin...

1. I would not join a club that would have me.

2. Number one took care of number two.

3. Oh man, that reminds me of my two wheelie days when some macho guys 'drink and ride club' from the other side of town asked me to join. They thought I was cool. True story! Very flattering, but I had to turn them down, see number 1.

4. Nope, you're the first.

I'm in Texas and have ridden with the Southern Cruisers. No dues, nobody's making money off me. Just a group of bikers, of all types, enjoying a ride. Good people there.

As for liability, at Toy Runs and a big well organized ride, there is a basic "No Liability" form you have to sign. At Southern Cruisers, there was nothing to sign. You were on your own as far as liability. Nobody is making money off you.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Just want to give you another side of the coin...

1. I would not join a club that would have me.
    2. Number one took care of number two.
    3. Oh man, that reminds me of my two wheelie days when some macho guys 'drink and ride club' from the other side of town asked me to join. They thought I was cool. True story! Very flattering, but I had to turn them down, see number 1.
    4. Nope, you're the first.

I'm in Texas and have ridden with the Southern Cruisers. No dues, nobody's making money off me. Just a group of bikers, of all types, enjoying a ride. Good people there.
    As for liability, at Toy Runs and a big well organized ride, there is a basic "No Liability" form you have to sign. At Southern Cruisers, there was nothing to sign. You were on your own as far as liability. Nobody is making money off you.
    Thanks for your response. Made me laugh and commiserate at the same time. There's not enough of those informal 'groups' I think and from my limited experience they were the most fun to ride with.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We don't have Clubs or Chapters or Officers.
    We have a number of groups who enjoy a ride with friends.
    Cheers from downunder.

Spyder Garage

Default Clubs

Yes- Vice President Pa Spyders Ryders- https://www.meetup.com/PASpyderRyders/ and on FB
    5 years and going strong- 329 members- Our Home is in New Stanton, Pa (southwest Pa.)

As long as my health and the group will have me I would never quit.

Our club has no dues. We are sponsored by Can Am of Windber and Value Accessories and Smith Marine
    and from donations from our members.

We have a waiver that is signed. You must agree and sign or you don't ryde.

We have had Rydes as far away as Tn and was at Valcourt Cn for the 10 year party

We have a really great group of Ryders
    Last edited by DriftersWay; 08-06-2017 at 08:23 AM.
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We have a local group called Triangle Spyder riders here in the Raleigh area. One of my riding buddies and I had M109's first, so we tend to still ride with M109 riders whenever we can. In fact, 4 of us on spyders joined the M109's at their meet in June, and some of those guys plan on joining us at the spyder rally in Maggie Valley. I am kind of known as the Godfather that brings and keeps the family together (M109 and spyder family)
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DriftersWay View Post
    Yes- Vice President Pa Spyders Ryders- https://www.meetup.com/PASpyderRyders/ and on FB 5 years and going strong- 329 members- Our Home is in New Stanton, Pa (southwest Pa.) As long as my health and the group will have me I would never quit. Our club has no dues. We are sponsored by Can Am of Windber and Value Accessories and Smith Marine and from donations from our members. We have a waiver that is signed. You must agree and sign or you don't ryde. We have had Rydes as far away as Tn and was at Valcourt Cn for the 10 year party We have a really great group of Ryders
    Congratulations. That sounds like a very successful group. Others may want to emulate that model! KISS principle at work. Love it and your badge. Wish I lived closer!

PASpyderRyders.jpg
    Last edited by UtahPete; 08-06-2017 at 11:00 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    We don't have Clubs or Chapters or Officers. We have a number of groups who enjoy a ride with friends. Cheers from downunder.
    I like it! How do you coordinate your group rides if I may ask?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up BattleBorn Spyders

We are a small group from Northern Nevada( Reno/ Carson city area). No officers-- nothing formal. In the past we have used Facebook to spread the word for rides. Some of us are going to the Nor-Cal Spyder rally which is sponsored by the Sacramento chapter of SRA. Sept. 12 thru the 14. In the gold country of Calif ( Sonora)

WE HAD A GREAT TIME LAST YEAR.

Kaos
    Last edited by Lew L; 08-06-2017 at 10:10 AM.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    We are a small group from Northern Nevada( Reno/ Carson city area). No officers-- nothing formal. In the past we have used Facebook to spread the word for rides. Some of us are going to the Nor-Cal Spyder rally which is sponsored by the Sacramento chapter of SRA. Sept. 12 thru the 14. In the gold country of Calif ( Sonora)
    WE HAD A GREAT TIME LAST YEAR. Kaos
    Another informal group. You have some great riding within a 200-mile radius. Can you edit your post to include your FB page for any others (like me) who might want to join up on occasion? Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

i always ryde with 3 others
    me, myself, and I

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Facebook search

Another informal group. You have some great riding within a 200-mile radius. Can you edit your post to include your FB page for any others (like me) who might want to join up on occasion? Thanks.

Just go to Face book---- at the top of the page there is a search function. Type in " Battle Born Spyders" Your Welcome.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    Just go to Face book---- at the top of the page there is a search function. Type in " Battle Born Spyders" Your Welcome.
    Nice FB page https://www.facebook.com/groups/157126601343192/ . I like your logo too
    BattleBornLogo.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Clubs

Down south in Georgia, we don't hardly have any Spyder's! Only 2 in my home town, so I ride with my friends that I rode with when I rode Harley's,
    Savannah, GA has a club, but they are 160 miles away! A new club has been formed in Tallahassee, FL and I am a member of it, but they are over a 100 miles away and ride on the same Saturday of the month that my local motorcycle club rides on! We need strong dealers, better Spyder Tech's at our dealers, and more Spyder's sales for that to happen! Need Can Am to get involved at the Daytona, FL bike week, and other activities to help increase sales!

Spyder Garage

I tried to start a Spyder group back in 08. There were (and still are) very few Spyder riders.

It fizzled out in 09.

There was a pretty good non-spyder club in those days and we also rode with them. We would have up to 50 bikes at each weekly ride. Spouse and I were the only Spyders interested at the time.

Time and politics has led to the demise of that club also. Linda and I now ride with each other. Its safer, more fun, and we don't have to worry about what others think.

Legal Stuff: we used the "clubs" legal disclaimer papers, and fortunately never had to worry about any incidents. It only takes one A$$ hole to screw things up though. Glad I no longer have to worry about that part.

Our club days are officially over.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-06-2017 at 02:35 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks.
    I would be be interested in joining a local club, however, nothing in my area

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by biker01red View Post
    I would be be interested in joining a local club, however, nothing in my area
    Try this link and let me know what you think http://www.usspyderryders.com/ky-oh-in-koi-tri-state/
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I tried to start a Spyder group back in 08. There were (and still are) very few Spyder riders. It fizzled out in 09. There was a pretty good non-spyder club in those days and we also rode with them. We would have up to 50 bikes at each weekly ride. Spouse and I were the only Spyders interested at the time. Time and politics has led to the demise of that club also. Linda and I now ride with each other. Its safer, more fun, and we don't have to worry about what others think. Legal Stuff: we used the "clubs" legal disclaimer papers, and fortunately never had to worry about any incidents. It only takes one A$$ hole to screw things up though. Glad I no longer have to worry about that part.
    I hear ya; those things can be deadly to the health of a social riding group.
    2014 RTL Platinum