Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Another thing, Bob. Did you know you can deduct interest on an RV as a second home?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    One more scary thought...

If you see THIS guy coming at you: look out!
    He's either:

Completely lost
    Trying to figure out what that flashing light on the dash is
    Or he's wondering what he just ran over!

I'm buying the moving "RV" as soon as possible; and memorizing every scene!

Gosh that's a nice looking ....... coach.....

Spyder Garage

I know I am a newbie on this board and this is my first post here but I wanted to chime in on Thor products.
    I know your choices of Toy Haulers are limited.
    Thor manufacturing owns over 80% of the different brand Rv's and travel trailers out there now since the economy went to crap back in 08.
    If you really look at their quality and dig past the pretty facia you will see they are made very cheap!
    If you have owned a trailer or RV in the past you will see the difference if this is your first you will not.
    Trust me I learned the hard way over 10 years ago.
    Remember these are rolling earthquakes and things break.
    The Ford Chassis they are using are almost over weight with just the coach itself once you add any gear and the usual camping things you will be surprised that you are already over the limit, now add a garage and a 1000lb spider ( depending on the model) you very well could be over loaded.
    Sure they salesman will say you have plenty of cargo weight to sell you a unit.
    Read the weights. see for yourself how much you really have left that you can carry on a unit before you commit.
    Even though you are looking at a toy hauler look at a higher quality unit such as a Newmar, or Alegro you will see the difference.
    It's the little things like door hinges, how the cabinets are made, look at the bottom of the drawer cabinets and see how cheap the bottoms are made. usually paper thin luan wood. look how the cabinets are built are they stapled together or do they use dovetail joints.
    Are the fixtures such as sinks, faucets made of Plastic or real china and metal fixtures.
    Oh it might have a stainless steel kitchen sink but it will be so think it will get dented.
    Look how the shower is made, does it have a door or just a curtain? door is better but even then feel the door is it flimsy when you open it?
    Is there sound deadner in the engine compartment? Gas motors are loud! Hard to have a conversation sometimes when you have the pedal floored when trying to go up a hill. Don't get me wrong the sound is not as loud as they used to be but they are still loud.
    Is the plumbing in the basement protected and enclosed from the colder weather, is the plumbing just hanging in the storage area where if you store something in it will it break your pipes? It happens a lot!!!
    I can go on and on about this.
    Really compare the quality the Thor will not last!!
    Also note if your unit is to big and you decide to travel some National parks will not accept a unit over 35 sometimes.
    Read on different forms about Thor you will see what I am talking about.
    It sounds like you have your heart set on this but please compare you will see the difference don't be fooled by the pretty,, remember a pig is still a pig even with makeup an lipstick.
    I wish you the best whatever you buy
    Last edited by boomerman; 08-06-2017 at 03:37 PM. Reason: spelling
    2015 RTs , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boomerman View Post
    I know I am a newbie on this board and this is my first post here but I wanted to chime in on Thor products.
    I know your choices of Toy Haulers are limited.
    Thor manufacturing owns over 80% of the different brand Rv's and travel trailers out there now since the economy went to crap back in 08.
    If you really look at their quality and dig past the pretty facia you will see they are made very cheap!
    If you have owned a trailer or RV in the past you will see the difference if this is your first you will not.
    Trust me I learned the hard way over 10 years ago.
    Remember these are rolling earthquakes and things break.
    The Ford Chassis they are using are almost over weight with just the coach itself once you add any gear and the usual camping things you will be surprised that you are already over the limit, now add a garage and a 1000lb spider ( depending on the model) you very well could be over loaded.
    Sure they salesman will say you have plenty of cargo weight to sell you a unit.
    Read the weights. see for yourself how much you really have left that you can carry on a unit before you commit.
    Even though you are looking at a toy hauler look at a higher quality unit such as a Newmar, or Alegro you will see the difference.
    It's the little things like door hinges, how the cabinets are made, look at the bottom of the drawer cabinets and see how cheap the bottoms are made. usually paper thin luan wood. look how the cabinets are built are they stapled together or do they use dovetail joints.
    Are the fixtures such as sinks, faucets made of Plastic or real china and metal fixtures.
    Oh it might have a stainless steel kitchen sink but it will be so think it will get dented.
    Look how the shower is made, does it have a door or just a curtain? door is better but even then feel the door is it flimsy when you open it?
    Is there sound deadner in the engine compartment? Gas motors are loud! Hard to have a conversation sometimes when you have the pedal floored when trying to go up a hill. Don't get me wrong the sound is not as loud as they used to be but they are still loud.
    Is the plumbing in the basement protected and enclosed from the colder weather, is the plumbing just hanging in the storage area where if you store something in it will it break your pipes? It happens a lot!!!
    I can go on and on about this.
    Really compare the quality the Thor will not last!!
    Also note if your unit is to big and you decide to travel some National parks will not accept a unit over 35 sometimes.
    Read on different forms about Thor you will see what I am talking about.
    It sounds like you have your heart set on this but please compare you will see the difference don't be fooled by the pretty,, remember a pig is still a pig even with makeup an lipstick.
    I wish you the best whatever you buy
    Well said I have been trying to say the same thing also I would never buy new I bought my lazy daze 2 yrs old stored under cover with 10,000 miles for 60% of new rv's are the highest depreciation things you can buy and they sell a ton of them to people with big ideas and end up using them 3 times, and a year goes buy then they go wtf am I making these payments for like boomer man said 90% of these things are cosmetic fluff over balasa wood with staples only buy minimum wage employees that hav worked since last week and will quit next month. Study up
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Does she understand that she'll have to walk around the Spyder to get to that deck? Or does she think you'll move it outside?

Good luck in getting by it. Bob indicated there is only 1.5" clearance on each side. She'll have to climb over it.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Default Jayco Seneca Class Super C Toy Hauler

We almost bought one of these in the early 2000s so we could haul out motorcycles on trips, and have a place to keep the dogs. It seems this unit, or a similar one, was about $120K. A LOT of money in ~2004.

This one in the link is sold, but it will give you a data point on such units.

http://www.mhsrv.com/2008-jayco-sene...s-c-tx-i626890

Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

Default Just say no

These depreciate so fast you will be flabbergasted!!! Do the math;
    how many times will you use it in a year? Say 12; one trip of distance, and a couple of weekends. If the monthly payment is $1000, it cost 12k a year; divide by uses. 1000 dollars a day! Now factor in depreciation, another chunk of change, and you can save a ton by riding and staying in nice hotels or resorts! Or, rent one for a trip. You will be miles ahead in the long run!!!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Another thing, Bob. Did you know you can deduct interest on an RV as a second home?
    I do now: Thanks!
    About climbing around the bike: it'll be unloaded, and covered (Most of the time) If it's in the garage: we're on the road!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    how many times will you use it in a year? Say 12; one trip of distance, and a couple of weekends. If the monthly payment is $1000, it cost 12k a year; divide by uses. 1000 dollars a day! Now factor in depreciation, another chunk of change, and you can save a ton by riding and staying in nice hotels or resorts! Or, rent one for a trip. You will be miles ahead in the long run!!!
    If where you travel is not out in the boonies with no facilities then you are correct. Much better to get a room and eat a steak dinner in a good restaurant. But if you are staying at some remote sand dune, lake or national monument then having most of the comforts of home is preferable to listening to an unhappy wife.

Personally, after doing the full sized motorhome thing for a number of years, should I ever catch that bug again it would be a heavy duty truck and a fifth wheel. They are a bit more spartan but have much more room inside for toys and people. And having a separate tow vehicle allows you to leave the trailer located in your selected spot while you take off in the truck if need be. Plus, unless you get crazy with the truck purchase the combined cost of a truck and fifth wheel is less than a single motorhome.

Spyder Garage

Default Class Coach

[QUOTE=Bob Denman;1287318]We've finally got our eyes on a Motorhome that'll carry the Spyder along with us!
    Thor's Outlaw 29 H Toy-Hauler

It's built on the Ford E-45 chassis, and has the V-10 under the hood.

We've just got to see if the deal can be struck... [/Q

If your tires are squatting with your Spyder loaded beware. Happened to me on my class C blew out rears right and left. Went to 13 ply tires,no squatting,no problems

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good points. But there's something to be said about getting to sleep in the same bed every night. In my traveling around the country, I would often wake up and be disoriented from having stayed in so many different hotel rooms.

Bob, if you do buy, you should aim at paying around no more than 75% of retail. There's a tremendous mark-up on new units.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Just Say No- Another Military Person! Depreciation? Selling used? How Many Times a YEAR are you going to use it??? Just buy the wife the F3 of her choice and Each Of you enjoy riding the local area ( Each With YOUR OWN Bike) and on the couple trips you take Stay at a Well researched Motel as Far as Safety.
    This is a financial Disaster waiting to happen???

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Just Say No- Another Military Person! Depreciation? Selling used? How Many Times a YEAR are you going to use it??? Just buy the wife the F3 of her choice and Each Of you enjoy riding the local area ( Each With YOUR OWN Bike) and on the couple trips you take Stay at a Well researched Motel as Far as Safety.
    So, everyone who purchased a MH experienced a financial disaster?

A MH might not be for you, but many others have had and enjoyed them for yrs. Making great memories and enjoyed the experience.

Spyder Garage

Default Class C

We have already this year spent over 60 nights in our own bed in our C class. We have been to Valcourt, the 3 wheel rally in Deadwood and will be at the Redwood Rally in St, George. Plus we camp without the Spyder. Yes we are retired. Bought a used
    Class C and a open trailer we are 38 feet long. But we stay where we want when we want and cook our own meals. We have met
    more people at camp grounds then we ever wood by staying in a motel. Its a different lifestyle and maybe not for some but all the nay sayers should let Bob make his own decision. Just my view on the world. Bob
    900 Ryker Wifes

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mowin View Post
    So, everyone who purchased a MH experienced a financial disaster?

A MH might not be for you, but many others have had and enjoyed them for yrs. Making great memories and enjoyed the experience.
    It's possible to buy a slightly touched MH for 1/2 what just a heavy duty truck to pull a trailer will costs there is nothing like the experience of traveling in a MH the book value on my MH that still looks new and turns heads everywhere is less than a new rt
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    It's possible to buy a slightly touched MH for 1/2 what just a heavy duty truck to pull a trailer will costs there is nothing like the experience of traveling in a MH the book value on my MH that still looks new and turns heads everywhere is less than a new rt
    New or used, doesn't matter. It's ones choice to make, but to come on a forum bashing ones decision saying itsfinancial disaster in the making is absurd.

I know it wasn't you who posted that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    chicken-little.jpg

Are YOU paying my bills?

I get that you don't like the idea of adventure and fun; don't expect everyone else on the Planet to agree with you.

Spyder Garage

chicken-little.jpg

Are YOU paying my bills?

I get that you don't like the idea of adventure and fun; don't expect everyone else on the Planet to agree with you.
    It sounds like you are a little offended. Try one of these:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...2&d=1501331907

I do want to thank you. I'm going to be using that chicken little; looks good for a lot of threads.
    Last edited by wyliec; 08-07-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Actually; I'm kind of "A Whole Lot" offended by this armchair quarterback...

Spyder Garage

Default I'm with you on this one..!

Actually; I'm kind of "A Whole Lot" offended by this armchair quarterback...
    The wife & I have a Toyhauler as well and thoroughly enjoy having the opportunity to take it with or without the Spyder and meet people and enjoy ourselves the atmosphere is so much more fun and inviting to meet other people and this is something you just don't do when your at a Holiday Inn. Well worth the investment and your right, nobody's business but yours.
    2016 RT-Ltd
    Bajaron swaybar
    Spyderpops trunk light
    Elka stage 2 front shocks
    Extra longbrake pedal
    brake modulator
    Centramatic wheel balancers on the front and rear.
    Rivco dual flag holder
    Tricled mirror turn signal indicators
    with American and Texas flags
    Lamonster Magic Mirrors
    missing belt guard
    Lambskin seat cover from Smokey mountain sheepskin.com
    Tricled 360 degree led Headlights
    Lamonster led fog lights
    Baker air wings
    2019 Silverado Duramax dually
    2019 Cyclone 4007 toyhauler
    Spyderpops bumpskid w led light
    Rivco brand footrest
    spydermanexhaust.com exhaust
    had my exhaust installed @ Spyder in the hills.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's one of the things the salesman will use to try to get you to use 15 yr loan terms which is a big mistake because you will always be upside down on something that doesn't have a 15 yr lifestyle span another reason to consider pre owned is with the right owner it has been debugged read the story's about new owners and how many thing weren't right from the factory these rigs are a hodgepodge of many brands of components put together
    2 happy happy spyders

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We actually ARE figuring on spreading the payments out over an extended period of time... initially!
    Once we get to "retirement", and can count the pile of money that we'll have to work with: we'd pay it off!
    In the meantime: we'd gain a tax deduction!

Spyder Garage

Default Maintenance is everything..!

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    That's one of the things the salesman will use to try to get you to use 15 yr loan terms which is a big mistake because you will always be upside down on something that doesn't have a 15 yr lifestyle span another reason to consider pre owned is with the right owner it has been debugged read the story's about new owners and how many thing weren't right from the factory these rigs are a hodgepodge of many brands of components put together
    The travel trailer I owned previously was 16 years old when I sold it and everything still worked well in it. Yes, I'll agree that some (maybe a lot) of them are not at a high quality of craftsmanship but if your even a little bit handy you can keep them going for many years unless you just get stuck with a lemon. We have been camping for decades and all of our kids would say that some of their fondest childhood memories would involve a camping or boating story. It's not for everyone I understand that, but don't knock it for those of us that truly enjoy it. There are lots of things that depreciate after your purchase, so what. Life is short.
    2016 RT-Ltd
    Bajaron swaybar
    Spyderpops trunk light
    Elka stage 2 front shocks
    Extra longbrake pedal
    brake modulator
    Centramatic wheel balancers on the front and rear.
    Rivco dual flag holder
    Tricled mirror turn signal indicators
    with American and Texas flags
    Lamonster Magic Mirrors
    missing belt guard
    Lambskin seat cover from Smokey mountain sheepskin.com
    Tricled 360 degree led Headlights
    Lamonster led fog lights
    Baker air wings
    2019 Silverado Duramax dually
    2019 Cyclone 4007 toyhauler
    Spyderpops bumpskid w led light
    Rivco brand footrest
    spydermanexhaust.com exhaust
    had my exhaust installed @ Spyder in the hills.

Spyder Garage

chicken-little.jpg

Are YOU paying my bills?

Its right up there with buying a 34" Boat and using it 2-3 times a year.
    Now If your retiring and Going to Use it a LOT I say Great - Have a Great time and Enjoy! BUT if you are still going to be working the next couple years you won't (IMO) get the benefit it deserves. Can't wait to see the Pictures!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage