Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    but a class c is based on the same van that there is a million of out there so the front end parts will always be easy and cheep to find (try to find collision parts for some 15 year old class A) you have real front doors so you pull in hop out just like your everyday car hooking up trailers is way better that these 1 door rigs ,they drive and are sized about like a full sized pu or van your cab is steel with air bags not fiberglass and wood built by the coach builders. So there are pros and cons to everything

I posted this so Bob might do some more research, if he was unaware of the RV.net. I am sure he has already done the research, but I would hate it if he had not.

I have no agenda, just trying to share some info.

Yep. But, there are only a few Class A chassis builders Each MH OEM uses one. Not many MH OEMs build their own chassis. So, parts, etc., are available.

Yep. Some Class A MH have driver's side doors, too.

Wrong. Class B MHs are van sized. Class Cs are a LOT longer. Watch out for that overhang!!! Winnebagos, as an example, have steel frames. The Class A MH chassis are a lot more substantial than a van's. Also, airbags are in the front (driver and passenger sides) of Class A MH.

Again, I have no dog in this 'fight.' Just trying to help - - - -

Regards,
    Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe T. View Post
    Bob,

I haven't read all of the previous posts. So, if this has been written, sorry for the repeat. I regularly read RV.Net http://www.rv.net/forum/ I posted a question not long ago about getting a Class C RV to travel a bit during our retirement. I don't need a Toy Hauler. BTW, there are Class A Toyhaulers. Read the responses I got: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/29145589.cfm They were enlightening.

Also, a close friend back in SoCal bought a Class C a few years ago. His insight was eye opening. His high level comments:

1.) Class C MH are NOT as maneuverable as Class A MH. They can only turn as tight as the Ford van they are built on. Class A MH have specially built chassis. They have a tighter turning circle which is very handy at times. But, watch the rear hangover, just like a Class C.
    2.) Class C MH, like a truck slide-in camper, have a large sleeping area above the van's cab. Typically, they are unsupported. If you get one of those, in a short time it will move enough to cause leaks, etc.
    Interesting discussion. I've considered a class C from time to time and had a lot of questions similar to the ones you asked and got responses for. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Bob Denman;1287318]We've finally got our eyes on a Motorhome that'll carry the Spyder along with us!
    Thor's Outlaw 29 H Toy-Hauler

Hey Bob! In the second photo from the left it looks like there's "stuff" there where the Spyder would be?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Good luck on the purchase, Bob! Have you measured the garage area?
    Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Good point. Doesn't look like much room even with the seats up against the wall. Of course, pictures can be deceiving.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheska View Post
    Bob as previously asked does the spyder fit in the garage?

Wife was looking at this on line have not seen one in person but we want to get rid of the trailer. Please let us know.

These get great reviews. I have talked to two dealers here in Canada and they can not locate one for me. There was one for sale in Iowa at a good price. Good luck and enjoy.
    I actually took along a tape measure, to check out what we had to work with in the garage area.
    Bottom line: It's 108", and the Spyder is 105"...
    It would be tight (VERY tight!), but I think that by backing in: it'll work just fine. Besides: the tie-down spots would work out better for that configurationn.

Driving it: Well: it's pretty darn big! This is the first time I've wrangled a beast of this size in over 30 years... I'm pretty sure that I can adjust to it, once I get some time in the driver's seat.

For the record:We were also looking at a Thor Compass RB
    It's on a Ford Transit chassis. They're about 8 feet shorter overall (23', versus 31'). But when you figure in the length of a trailer for the Spyder... everything changes!
    Cost-wise; they'd be similar once the trailer is purchased.
    It comes down to the Outlaw's ramp/patio that the Missus likes a lot, or the easier to drive Compass...
    We're sleeping on it tonight!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh! Just for a fun comparison:
    Here's the Class C Outlaw parked in front of it's bigger brother: the Class A Outlaw...

Thor ToyHaulers.jpg

We could NEVER drive that big bus!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    We're sleeping on it tonight!
    That's a great idea!

So Bob, which are you two sleeping on Hope it does't rain on you!

2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

You Realize Working in the Insurance agency that Buying something like this That you might use a couple times a Year? Really- How often do you leave your hometown for extended trips? Motels and a SECOND Bike for the Mrs. is a Financially better investment- With one bike maybe pulling a Spyder trailer??
    You have better financial wisdom than to do this- But then again Trading in your Bike and having Nothing to ride for several months is Not Real Financially sound either- Unless you want to disclose the Great Deal that made you do THAT! Sorry I really think you need to think this through AND through???

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Awesome congrats in advance.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Default Good luck Bob

I think that is a little pen on the back for Bob's wife to keep him in when he misbehaves.

Spyder Garage

Bob, did you test drive the class A? You'd be surprised at how easy either one would be to navigate.

Also, is the 2nd smaller class C a diesel? Towing a trailer puts a lot of drag on a vehicle. The larger class C will do better not towing with loaded garage than the smaller coach towing a loaded trailer, assuming they have the same V10.

Something to think about, the trailer could be towed by your daily driver, depending on what you drive. Allowing a 2nd option to get your spyder to a event or dealer for service.

Good luck in your search. I know both of you will enjoy the new coach.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mowin View Post
    Bob, did you test drive the class A? You'd be surprised at how easy either one would be to navigate.

Also, is the 2nd smaller class C a diesel? Towing a trailer puts a lot of drag on a vehicle. The larger class C will do better not towing with loaded garage than the smaller coach towing a loaded trailer, assuming they have the same V10.

Something to think about, the trailer could be towed by your daily driver, depending on what you drive. Allowing a 2nd option to get your spyder to a event or dealer for service.

Good luck in your search. I know both of you will enjoy the new coach.
    There are non-toy-hauler class Cs built on the F450 with the V-10 in them and they'd have no problem pulling the Spyder on a trailer. But toy-hauler or not, that V10 drinks a lot of fuel. Bob may want to look at diesel anyway.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    There are non-toy-hauler class Cs built on the F450 with the V-10 in them and they'd have no problem pulling the Spyder on a trailer. But toy-hauler or not, that V10 drinks a lot of fuel. Bob may want to look at diesel anyway.
    Not saying it wouldn't pull it fine. Hills, fuel mileage, ect will be different with the smaller C pulling a trailer.

Your correct, either one will be thirsty.

The up charge for the oil burner is 8k or so. Lot of gas can be had for 8k... Then there's resale, will you get that 8k back when you sell? I know in pickups, they hold there valve quite well. Not sure on a motor home. Haven't really researched them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's the Class C Outlaw parked in front of it's bigger brother: the Class A Outlaw...

Thor ToyHaulers.jpg

As bad as spyders smell like gas after a ride I wouldn't want to put them inside with me and what if you want to go to the lake with a boat or jet skis or how about snowmobiles I would rather have the room in the coach and use trailers which are pretty cheep and can be specialized for the type of use
    2 happy happy spyders

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe T. View Post
    I posted this so Bob might do some more research, if he was unaware of the RV.net. I am sure he has already done the research, but I would hate it if he had not.

I have no agenda, just trying to share some info.

Yep. But, there are only a few Class A chassis builders Each MH OEM uses one. Not many MH OEMs build their own chassis. So, parts, etc., are available.

Yep. Some Class A MH have driver's side doors, too.

Wrong. Class B MHs are van sized. Class Cs are a LOT longer. Watch out for that overhang!!! Winnebagos, as an example, have steel frames. The Class A MH chassis are a lot more substantial than a van's. Also, airbags are in the front (driver and passenger sides) of Class A MH.

Again, I have no dog in this 'fight.' Just trying to help - - - -

Regards,
    Joe T.
    I have a 26 ft c Do some close measuring and you will find that a full size 4dr pu truck or long van is getting pretty close in length stay away from the 30ft plus and the overhang isn't bad ,the parts im talking about are the parts that the coach builder fabricated they are plastic and fiberglass and in most cases very unique to the year and mfg plus there were only a few hundred produced (find the corner or headlite bezel for a 15 year old coach) look at those parts on a older A and they are cracked and faded conpared to steel painted parts on the very common ford van that will have used fender dash etc that you will find for years after they are not made ,not fighting either I have had my same mh for 17 years now a watched my father before me keep getting bigger mh ,if you will look up the stats you will find that the frequency of use go down as size goes up this apples to boats as well as Rv's my fathers class A when he was ready to sell took me 3 hours with a glue gun just on the cab area alone the armrest were vinyl wrapped particle board the door panels were the same everything up front was cheep plywood the 10 ft fuel fill tube was supported by plumbers tape screwed with 3/8 wood screws into 1/4 in paneling screws fell out of course I could go on but you get the idea I would rather have the front which has the main working parts of the drive system based on a high volume production van than to have the coach builders line workers engineering and regular steel front cab doors with power window and door locks parts from ford with regular step in height priceless
    Last edited by r1100rider; 08-06-2017 at 11:37 AM.
    2 happy happy spyders

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mowin View Post
    Not saying it wouldn't pull it fine. Hills, fuel mileage, ect will be different with the smaller C pulling a trailer.

Your correct, either one will be thirsty.

The up charge for the oil burner is 8k or so. Lot of gas can be had for 8k... Then there's resale, will you get that 8k back when you sell? I know in pickups, they hold there valve quite well. Not sure on a motor home. Haven't really researched them.
    The average mh doesn't get driven enough for fuel mileage to be a problem a coach with 100,000 miles is rare so the 8000 for a diesel takes a long time to pay off and in the C's is louder and rare I always figured that if you stay a few days when you travel you make it up with motels there is nothing like the travel experience of a motor home I highly recommend it
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

The average mh doesn't get driven enough for fuel mileage to be a problem a coach with 100,000 miles is rare so the 8000 for a diesel takes a long time to pay off and in the C's is louder and rare I always figured that if you stay a few days when you travel you make it up with motels there is nothing like the travel experience of a motor home I highly recommend it
    I agree. It would take a long time to recoop the cost of a diesel unless you full time and travel frequently.

The new diesel are VERY quiet. There not the rattling beasts they used to be.

Never been in a MH, except to drool, lol. But I do have a large 5th wheel, and love the camping atmosphere.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The smaller Thor Compass is a diesel: 3.2 litre inline 5 cylinder. 185 hose, and 350 pound/feet of torque
    They usually get right around 15 to 17 mpg under normal touring conditions.
    The Outlaw with the Gas V-10 weighs about a ton more: 305 hose, and 45 pound/feet of torque.
    I've heard that 8 to 10 mpg is what should be expected...
    But I'm not buying it for the fuel economy anyway: nobody does!
    We are definitely leaning towards the Outlaw: the Missus can't get over the rear garage, elevated deck setup. If we got the Compass: we'd be buying an enclosed trailer for the Spyder. This means one more vehicle to register, maintain, and insure...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    You Realize Working in the Insurance agency that Buying something like this That you might use a couple times a Year? Really- How often do you leave your hometown for extended trips? Motels and a SECOND Bike for the Mrs. is a Financially better investment- With one bike maybe pulling a Spyder trailer??
    You have better financial wisdom than to do this- But then again Trading in your Bike and having Nothing to ride for several months is Not Real Financially sound either- Unless you want to disclose the Great Deal that made you do THAT! Sorry I really think you need to think this through AND through???
    Are You Serious.jpg

Spyder Garage

The smaller Thor Compass is a diesel: 3.2 litre inline 5 cylinder. 185 hose, and 350 pound/feet of torque
    The Outlaw with the Gas V-10 weighs about a ton more: 305 hose, and 45 pound/feet of torque.
    We are definitely leaning towards the Outlaw: the Missus can't get over the rear garage, elevated deck setup. If we got the Compass: we'd be buying an enclosed trailer for the Spyder. This means one more vehicle to register, maintain, and insure...
    Ya that rear deck definitely adds to the experience. There's pro's and con's to each coach. Only you and the misses can decide which one works best for you.

That "other post".... ...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you're not paying someone's bills: you don't have a dog in their fight...

...So you don't get any input in their decisions...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As bad as spyders smell like gas after a ride I wouldn't want to put them inside with me and what if you want to go to the lake with a boat or jet skis or how about snowmobiles I would rather have the room in the coach and use trailers which are pretty cheep and can be specialized for the type of use
    Every bike is different... mine has always smelled MUCH better than I do, after a day on the road.
    And the garage does have vents to keep any smells to a minimum. The Missus has threatened to put me back there, and just leave the bike at home!

Spyder Garage

Thor ToyHaulers.jpg

Have you tried? Perhaps a test drive is in order. You would probably be surprised.

Whether a Class A or a Class C, the thing that gets most part time RVs is the overhang - distance from rear axle to the end of the coach. Easy to hit a gas pump at a gas station.

Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One more scary thought...

2018 Thor Outlaw 29H Camper's Barn 039.jpg2018 Thor Outlaw 29H Camper's Barn 043.jpg

If you see THIS guy coming at you: look out!
    He's either:

Completely lost
    Trying to figure out what that flashing light on the dash is
    Or he's wondering what he just ran over!

I'm buying the moving "RV" as soon as possible; and memorizing every scene!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Bob,

Re: We've just got to see if the deal can be struck...

M.S.R.P: $113,163
    MHSRV Sale Price: $72,911

http://www.mhsrv.com/2015-thor-motor...-c-tx-i1123523

And read this first ( ): https://www.amazon.com/Trump-Art-Dea...rt+of+the+deal

Jerry Baumchen
    Thanks, Jerry!
    I've been digging around in their website for a couple of Months.
    But I'd be a bit leery about buying from a dealership that's about 1800 miles from my home...
    That's a 2015 rig, and we're looking at a 2018. But their pricing IS pretty good!
    I also have some concerns about being such a tiny little blip on their radar. They are a H U G E dealership, and I figure that they'd forget my name right after I was handed the keys...
    I'd rather deal with folks that can become friends...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does she understand that she'll have to walk around the Spyder to get to that deck? Or does she think you'll move it outside?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)