Thread: Gas and Temp

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas and Temp

I have a 2016 RT-S and have a question re: fuel and temp level. I have an Analog fuel and temp. gauge on the left and right sides respectively. But in the manual it show the digital fuel and temp. on the digital display. my question is is it possible to have both the Analog and digital display or only one or the other as I read that to have digital you must disconnect the analog gauge. Any thoughts.
    thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
    I have a 2016 RT-S and have a question re: fuel and temp level. I have an Analog fuel and temp. gauge on the left and right sides respectively. But in the manual it show the digital fuel and temp. on the digital display. my question is is it possible to have both the Analog and digital display or only one or the other as I read that to have digital you must disconnect the analog gauge. Any thoughts.
    thanks
    Good question. Prior to 2014, the analog gauges were very erratic. Many of us disconnected the analog gauges. When that happens, the digital ones magically appear. Many then replaced the analogs with something else. I do not know of any case where you can have both. Will have to see what others say.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know. ..!!

most do not want both I would imagine you would spend time comparing them. Other options like charging ports voltmeters oil pressure etc. I don't know how you would make them both work unless you can find out why they stop when the guages are removed. It has to be both...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

It is my inderstanging that you must disconnect both the analog gauges to have the digital ones appear.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

You can have soup (digital)
    or Salad (analog)

just not both without some sort of wizardry. I am so unimpressed with the digital display
    that personally I'll keep the easy to read analogs.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I tried going digital for a year or more, went back to analog in that they seem to be more accurate. I sold the USB ports and voltmeter I had in the old gauge holes, put the old gauges back in, installed USB ports on the rocker switch panel and a Kuryakyn voltmeter on the dash.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Default ANALOG VS. DIGITAL

I DISCONNECTED MY ANALOGS AND FIND THE DIGITAL MORE ACCURATE AND EASIER TO READ. I NOW HAVE MY GAS GAUGE DIALED IN TO HOW MUCH FUEL IS LEFT IN EACH BAR,

Spyder Garage

I've noticed on my 15 rtl that during the bootup process when the key is first turned on, the digital fuel and temp show up momentarily as a self test. With that in mind, I would think that there would be a way to get both. It would probably involve finding a diode or filter that could be placed inline with the analog gauges to fool the system into thinking they are not there.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I prefer analog. It is easy and quick to see that the temperature needle is pointing to the normal position. I find the fuel gage to be relatively accurate. I think digital gages would be more distracting trying to read itty bitty numbers....(like the time and outside temperature)
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is a fun discussion...
    The analogs that they put in the 998 bikes were basically a "shot in the dark".
    But on my 1330 (A 2014 model): the fuel gauge was the most accurate one that i've ever had! I could reliably pick my fueling stops based solely upon what it was reading. When the "Low Fuel" light came on: I knew that it would take 5.5 gallons of fuel every time.
    I did try disconnecting them on my 2010, and I didn't care for the extra "clutter" in the digital display.
    Try it: you can always change back!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I prefer analog. It is easy and quick to see that the temperature needle is pointing to the normal position.
    And for those of us who need reading glasses for close stuff......the things on the screen are mostly blurred without them.

Sun glasses with built-in readers work good in the daytime, but wearing glasses with a helmet is going to take an adjustment period.
    And even when I can see the screen, I think it is a bit cluttered already.

To each his own.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 08-13-2017 at 06:55 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If your eyeballs have the least bit of age to them: reading the cluster can be frustrating.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black