Spyder Garage

Default F3's can tip over

The guy was taking a 270 degree curbed off ramp too fast--slid or got tight against the curb--ejected the rider & the F3's rolled over. The guy got up--shook himself off--walked over to the F3--rolled it back on to it's wheels--minus windscreen--& drove off in the sunset.

PS: Don't try this with your F3's--it's hard on the paint & windscreen
    Last edited by Wildrice; 08-04-2017 at 09:41 AM.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    The guy was taking a curbed off ramp too fast--slid or got tight against the curb--ejected the rider & the F3's rolled over. The guy got up--shook himself off--walked over to the F3--rolled it back on to it's wheels--minus windscreen--& drove off in the sunset.

PS: Don't try this with your F3's--it's hard on the paint & windscreen
    What guy? Is there a video or news story on this?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

A trick that I still try to avoid.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

Who knows when no one is in control... but we all know they are not infalable....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    What guy? Is there a video or news story on this?
    Not a lot of video's focused on off ramps--word has it the guy drove away with signing any autograph's. News teams aren't that quick when the guy rolled it back on it's wheels & rode away.
    It is possible the guy may have had excessive alcohol & didn't need police involvement.
    Last edited by Wildrice; 08-03-2017 at 07:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

I hope that wasn't the result of hard core boredom.
    HAND'S UP:
    The only sure way of getting rid of bad habits is to create good ones.
    AND, by the way, this will not happen on auto pilot.

It's time for a YOU-turn!!!

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Backingupdownhill

Easiest possible time to flip a Spyder is backing up downhill and turning at the same time.
    Some time ago a husband and wife were actually injured when doing that. They went a little faster and turned quicker than they should have and found the Spyder tipped very easily. Thank God neither were seriously injured, but it sure happened. I have always remembered that and thought I'd share.
    Some of you older members probably remember that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    Easiest possible time to flip a Spyder is backing up downhill and turning at the same time.
    Some time ago a husband and wife were actually injured when doing that. They went a little faster and turned quicker than they should have and found the Spyder tipped very easily. Thank God neither were seriously injured, but it sure happened. I have always remembered that and thought I'd share.
    Some of you older members probably remember that.
    Backing up and turning, the Spyder isn't much different than the old 3-wheeler ATV's that were always tipping over and maiming people. They were finally outlawed for that reason.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    Not a lot of video's focused on off ramps--word has it the guy drove away with signing any autograph's. News teams aren't that quick when the guy rolled it back on it's wheels & rode away. It is possible the guy may have had excessive alcohol & didn't need police involvement.
    How did you find out about it then?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    How did you find out about it then?

From a guy that saw it happen...that frequents the QS&L Weds bike nite & saw me on the Spyder---the guy was a straight shooter.

If a tree falls in the forest & there nobody around to hear---did it make any noise---you seem to be beating a dead horse---what's the problem??? If you choose to believe it didn't happen--I couldn't care less----I know it did happen.
    Last edited by Wildrice; 08-03-2017 at 09:27 PM.

Spyder Garage

Last year at Spyder Rendezvous, in Johnson Creek, WI, during one of the spyder games, I, along with quite a few other people, witnessed an RT roll over throwing off both the husband and wife. They were backing up and he turned his handlebars a sharp right. Over it went. Good thing they weren't going too fast. I think it stunned the crowd as that was the last thing they were expecting. Five or six of us rushed to assist them, insuring they were OK, then uprighting their spyder. The left side mirror, front fender and saddlebag were pretty scraped up.

Note to self: Be careful backing up.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Last year at Spyder Rendezvous, in Johnson Creek, WI, during one of the spyder games, I, along with quite a few other people, witnessed an RT roll over throwing off both the husband and wife. They were backing up and he turned his handlebars a sharp right. Over it went. Good thing they weren't going too fast. I think it stunned the crowd as that was the last thing they were expecting. Five or six of us rushed to assist them, insuring they were OK, then uprighting their spyder. The left side mirror, front fender and saddlebag were pretty scraped up.

HAND'S UP:
    The only sure way of getting rid of bad habits is to create good ones.
    AND, by the way, this will not happen on auto pilot.

It's time for a YOU-turn!!!

Spyder Garage

Default A trike is still a trike.

All trikes are more prone to tipping than four wheelers. In Can Am's case there's the "nanny' to help prevent this from occuring. Like you said, when backing up you become a trike with the single wheel in the front and the extra tippiness that those have comes into play. I guess it would be prudent to take it easy backing up and turning at the same time.

Spyder Garage

we were there.no could believe it
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the heads up! We back our Spyder out of the garage to the down hill driveway, and make a sharp left U turn to point it down hill. I'll have to make sure I take it slow.
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue