Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Show Chrome Accessories trunk rack removal tips

When I bought this 2014RT used, it had this rack in place. I've decided I don't want it (too heavy for the lid among other things) so will remove it and make it available on this forum.

My question is this; since this mounts via holes drilled through the lid, I will then have 4 holes to plug up / dress up. Any ideas on fixes that will leave the trunk lid looking good?

Rear trunk rack.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some kind of Bondo, and time spent with the correct touch-up paint?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Cool

1" chrome spikes------- they will keep the kids off the trunk.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default trunk lid

If it is just that the lid wont stay up I have a simple fix. After going to Valcourt and touring production line we discovered the lid has the mounting points on BOTH sides for the lift struts. I went to my dealer and ordered a second strut and mounting hardware. Simple install just lay passenger back rest forward install hardware and strut and replace backrest. Easy Peasy and I'm all thumbs with tools. I did this on both mine and my wife's 15 RT-S. Now in bet I could strap 10# to top of lid and it would still jump open and stay up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by almosthere View Post
    If it is just that the lid wont stay up I have a simple fix. After going to Valcourt and touring production line we discovered the lid has the mounting points on BOTH sides for the lift struts. I went to my dealer and ordered a second strut and mounting hardware. Simple install just lay passenger back rest forward install hardware and strut and replace backrest. Easy Peasy and I'm all thumbs with tools. I did this on both mine and my wife's 15 RT-S. Now in bet I could strap 10# to top of lid and it would still jump open and stay up.
    Thanks. The other reason is that I don't think we'll ever use it. I just can't imagine why I'd want to load it up with any gear. There is a weight limit to the rear trunk and I can see that with the additional weight of the rack and the luggage on it, that limit could be exceeded pretty easily. But, maybe I'm wrong about that.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I was thinking some kind of chrome plug ... don't know if they exist. I'm not going to even attempt body work and paint job!
    I have the same rack. I put it on when I first bought my Spyder but have thought of removing it. My thought is to go to Value Accessories and buy that set of chrome Star conchos they have to under the legs of the rack and put a short chrome bolt thru to hold them on and fill the holes. I just looked through thei online catalogue and couldn't see them but that's where I bought them when I bought my rack. They go under the feet on the rack to spread the load out.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You don't happen to have that part# do you? Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

There are small black plugs that you can buy at any auto parts store. They come in different sizes so know what size hole you're trying to plug when you go shopping. They're flat and look good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Copperman; 08-02-2017 at 09:25 PM.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I was thinking maybe four small antennae and purchase a Police Helmut. You could get them wondering.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Well yes and no.These are round but have a star covering the center and a hole thru the center and are chrome. They are load distributing washers to go under the legs of racks to spread out the stress points. I don't get my Spyder back until Saturday or I would take a picture and show you.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Default part #s

250000843, 250300039, 708300383, and 708300384 Are the part #s to order. For all the nuts bolts and strut you'll need.

Spyder Garage

When I bought this 2014RT used, it had this rack in place. I've decided I don't want it (too heavy for the lid among other things) so will remove it and make it available on this forum.

My question is this; since this mounts via holes drilled through the lid, I will then have 4 holes to plug up / dress up. Any ideas on fixes that will leave the trunk lid looking good?

Rear trunk rack.jpg
    You could always try to trade the whole trunk cover, with the rack in place, with someone who's wanting the rack. Other than the cost of postage, you'd both be making out. The cover is only held on with six screws.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't think they would plug the hole well enough to prevent water leaking through. Thanks, though.
    I think that the outer lid is just sort of a cover: the inner panels handle the sealing chores!

(I think...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

250000843, 250300039, 708300383, and 708300384 Are the part #s to order. For all the nuts bolts and strut you'll need.
    Thank you!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

If you have a equine saddlery shop in town, they have all kinds of nice looking items that may be used to cover-up the holes. You can add a little RTV or silicone to aid in sealing the hole.

Michael
    W5MWI

USN Vet - RM1
    Member: VFW & American Legion

2020 Spyder RT-L - Jupiter Metallic Blue Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for your ideas. I think what I'm going to try first is to get an additional strut for the lid, so that's not a factor. Then, see where we go from there.

Thanks again.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for your ideas. I think what I'm going to try first is to get an additional strut for the lid, so that's not a factor. Then, see where we go from there.

Thanks again.
    I think that is your best bet. As for not using it, I thought about getting one when I had my RT. The only time and thing that I figured that I would ever use it for, would be for storage of my rain suit when traveling. That is a good place to have it for quick access when it is needed. I tend to have everything stuffed in when I am traveling and a rain suit is something that you may need quick access to. Now that I have a F3T, I tend to keep the rain suit in the frunk, since it is too small for much else.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Now that I have a F3T, I tend to keep the rain suit in the frunk, since it is too small for much else.
    I keep my frunk empty so I can put my full face, modular, helmet in it to lock it up. That and what ever fits inside my helmet.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Rear trunk rack.jpg
    I install four of the "Push Pins" in the holes in mine when I want to take off the rack. My RT is black, and so are the pins, so it's not very noticeable. I'm not sure what that would look like on your color, but its a cheep thing to try!

Neil
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ed, thanks for providing a link to the Show Chrome Star Washer. This is perfect whether I decide to keep the rack (for added protection of the mounting surface) or to plug up the holes if I decide to remove it. And, they're cheaper with free shipping from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Show-Chrome-A...+rubber+washer

Last edited by UtahPete; 08-03-2017 at 04:38 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Got this in an email after I posted the other links

http://bigbikeparts.com/templates/pr...m_medium=email
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, I ordered these and finally received them today. Any final words of advice before I try to figure out how to remove the passenger back rest?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Easy with the starwashers..........

I tossed mine because the bottom two holes for the rack are on a curved surface. Even with the rubber washer you can stress the trunk lid and no telling when a crack will appear. I got some fender washers and fit them to the underside of the lid's curve for extra support. We carry only items on the rack that don't weigh much. Clothing, bike cover, gloves and so on. As for the support arm giving out, I used finless Bob's idea of a spring from Ace Hardware to go around the lower shaft of the arm. Works great.