Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Is It Just Me????

Anyone else noticing the "downsizing" and price increasing that seems to be going on with packaging at the super market?

Take a look at potato chip (and related), drink mixes (what used to be 12 packets--are now 10), etc. etc. Prices have not gone down--they have stayed the same or even gone up.

Canned soda--they have tried to push less than 12 oz. sizes and here--the name brand stuff costs 50 cents a can (12/5.99). Used to be two for $11.50. Can still buy generic for 4-12's /10.00 on sale.

Got a package of Hostess Zingers yesterday and they are now about 1/3 the size they used to be.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Ahh Yes....

Tricks of the trade....how to trick joe public and make them happy .. going fresh and buying by weight...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Yeah, that's been going on for a while now.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We have a very popular brand of potato chips that used to be 16 oz. and are now 10 oz. The price just went to $4.00 a bag but you can usually get them for $3.25 -$3.50 at some stores. Occasionally, they have a two for the price of one. They used to be $1.50 for a one pound bag. When I was a kid you could get nickel and dime bags (of chips!) but now they only have $1.49 bags for 3 oz. That's just one example, there are many!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    We have a very popular brand of potato chips that used to be 16 oz. and are now 10 oz. The price just went to $4.00 a bag but you can usually get them for $3.25 -$3.50 at some stores. Occasionally, they have a two for the price of one. They used to be $1.50 for a one pound bag. When I was a kid you could get nickel and dime bags (of chips!) but now they only have $1.49 bags for 3 oz. That's just one example, there are many!
    Yup! I also remember those nickel and dime bags of chips, the dime sodas, and the nickel and dime candy bars. 2 for 1 penny candies.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When they made that indentation in the bottom of the Peanut-Butter jars larger: I just knew that we were all in trouble!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

a king size candy bar is now just a little bit bigger than a regular size used to be. I know I'm showing my age but I remember buying a McDonalds burger, fries and a drink for 35 cents, and gas for 15 cents a gallon, 19 for ethyl.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I was in high school, $5.00 got you a movie, food and gas to drive 30 miles one way to get there and a pack of smokes if you were so inclined. At least $5.00 gets two gallons of gas now, instead of one!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Hi akspyderman,

Re: Anyone else noticing the "downsizing" . . .

Disclaimer: I am about 40 lbs more than I should be.

It might be a good thing: https://www.infoplease.com/world/hea...ountries-world

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi akspyderman,

Re: Anyone else noticing the "downsizing" . . .

Disclaimer: I am about 40 lbs more than I should be.

It might be a good thing: https://www.infoplease.com/world/hea...ountries-world

Jerry Baumchen
    Jerry, since we have gotten bigger we have probably doubled in price.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On my way home if I want snack I stop by the dollar store for a coke and bag of chips, two bucks. The same is over four bucks at the pakistanie food marts. Note** nothing against the pakistanies, they like to make money like everybody else.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As others have noted, it's been going on for a while. I think we're noticing it now because the sizes have gotten so much smaller after successive downsizings.

We drink a lot of sodas and buy 2 liter bottles. I shop the sale papers every week for those. We have 2 supermarkets and a few dollar stores. Most weeks, at least one of them has them on sale. I've also started drinking more iced tea!

We're talking mostly about junk food so far. Has anyone noticed the same happening on other stuff?

And consider what's happened to the cost vs quality & usefulness of a college education!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

come to cook county they are adding a sweet tax. 1 cent per ounce. along with the state (IL) just raising the income tax

Chicago is no better our Mayor doesn't know how to trim the fat.

Spyder Garage

Hi Patti,

Re: And consider what's happened to the cost vs quality & usefulness of a college education

I disagree; both of my kids make twice what I ever made. And I am a Mech. Engr.

Jerry Baumchen

https://smartasset.com/retirement/th...ducation-level

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is success only measured by dollars?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Is success only measured by dollars?
    Self satisfaction, which can include dinero.

Spyder Garage

Hi Patti,

Re: And consider what's happened to the cost vs quality & usefulness of a college education

I disagree; both of my kids make twice what I ever made. And I am a Mech. Engr.

Jerry Baumchen

https://smartasset.com/retirement/th...ducation-level
    That would depend on when you retired, and/or if you are comparing initial salary to when you first started, and when they started; also, some of the better companies try to keep up with inflation. You need our Alaskan friend to compare yesteryear dollars to what they could purchase, and what today's dollars purchase.
    Last edited by wyliec; 07-30-2017 at 11:19 AM.

Spyder Garage

Hi wyliec,

Re: That would depend on . . . .

I completely agree. However, I stand by my post as regards what a formal education can do for someone.

And, yes I am well aware that there are many exceptions to the charts.

Also, I am a firm believer that how well one does financially in life has a lot to do with the drive/ambition of each/any person

Jerry Baumchen

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Default Used to eat those Zingers...

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    (...snip)

Got a package of Hostess Zingers yesterday and they are now about 1/3 the size they used to be.
    ... that are now 1/3 the size they used to be and I became 3 sizes larger than I was!! But they are SO GOOD!

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi wyliec,

Re: That would depend on . . . .

I completely agree. However, I stand by my post as regards what a formal education can do for someone.

And, yes I am well aware that there are many exceptions to the charts.

Also, I am a firm believer that how well one does financially in life has a lot to do with the drive/ambition of each/any person

Jerry Baumchen
    Agreed...
    But it really has little to do with satisfaction.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    That would depend on when you retired, and/or if you are comparing initial salary to when you first started, and when they started; also, some of the better companies try to keep up with inflation. You need our Alaskan friend to compare yesteryear dollars to what they could purchase, and what today's dollars purchase.
    It also depends on how much you paid for the degree. Today's college education is much more expensive, so the higher average salaries need to have the costs, including interest on loans, netted out. Also, convert today's $ to the value of the previous - or vice-versa.

I keep thinking about when I was finishing high school, doing better in the job market after going to college was a given. You could get a "general" degree and really make out. Now there are college graduates going begging for jobs and facing lots of college debt.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Hi Patti,

Re: Now there are college graduates going begging for jobs and facing lots of college debt.

From the article that I linked: The unemployment rate for Americans with a bachelor’s degree is 2.8%.

This does not support your assertion.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I paid the full boat for both of my kid's formal educations. I did it for two reasons:

1. I come from a very working class family. College was NOT something you even considered. My folks could not afford to help me financially. I worked part-time & went to school part-time; took 6 1/2 yrs to get my degree. I promised myself back then, that if I could afford it my kids would not have to do what I had to do.

2. I could afford it.

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh, GREAT!!

Now I'm hungry again!

Jerry,
    on doing right by your kids!
    We helped ours out by paying for the first three years. We figured that a little bit of student debt could be used to build some credit for the future.
    (He came out with a $12,000 debt: pretty manageable!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Patti,

Re: Now there are college graduates going begging for jobs and facing lots of college debt.

From the article that I linked: The unemployment rate for Americans with a bachelor’s degree is 2.8%.

This does not support your assertion.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I paid the full boat for both of my kid's formal educations. I did it for two reasons:

1. I come from a very working class family. College was NOT something you even considered. My folks could not afford to help me financially. I worked part-time & went to school part-time; took 6 1/2 yrs to get my degree. I promised myself back then, that if I could afford it my kids would not have to do what I had to do.

2. I could afford it.
    Good your you, Jerry. Your kids were blessed to have you to do that for them. My folks also paid for my college and graduate school, for which I'll be forever grateful. But I'd still question the return on the investment in college, compared to when we were of that age. Increases in the cost of college education has far exceeded the inflation rate and, IMHO, it is very overpriced. Of course, for some fields it is absolutely necessary, like medicine, law, engineering.

I had a teenage child, I'd encourage them to learn a trade and work at it a while, then go to college if still want too, and if they have a specific field they want to study. I would also advise that you don't have to go to college to get an education, just for a degree.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)