Spyder Garage

Default Sequential change remains locked

Hi guys I'm Marco from Italy or one Spyder GS 2009 sequential gearbox with just 15,000 kilometers this year after changing as usual engine oil and filter I decided to change the sequential gearbox filter unfortunately after doing so I found a problem sometimes the bike stays with the first gear or third gear and no changes had to turn off and on the bike to reset everything someone recommended me to clean the actuators of the gearbox and clutch which are located behind the tank oil but the problem continues to be I know help me to give me advice on where I live because in Puglia there are no service centers I used as the oil Bardahl 5/40 BAXTM5W40 XTM 5W40 BARDAHL 4T SEMISINT.
    And BRP OIL FILTER
    420256454 / filter 420956747

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting. ...🤔

Being all the same oil you do need to make sure that it meets the specifications in your manual. Bardahl is a good oil we used it a lot in South America but don't remember them making a motorcycle oil. Now if your oil level is correct and measured as specified (hot engine, level ground, between add and full) your issue may be in the paddle switch or actuators. There is also the gear position sensor. You should check for codes that could help you...go to app store and download , free, spydercodes and follow the instructions...let us know what you find....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Being all the same oil you do need to make sure that it meets the specifications in your manual. Bardahl is a good oil we used it a lot in South America but don't remember them making a motorcycle oil. Now if your oil level is correct and measured as specified (hot engine, level ground, between add and full) your issue may be in the paddle switch or actuators. There is also the gear position sensor. You should check for codes that could help you...go to app store and download , free, spydercodes and follow the instructions...let us know what you find....
    You know the exchange seems to have become less responsiveThe gearbox seemed to be slower when the automatic scale was first in case of abrupt braking the change was fast in the climbs now everything seems to happen to the slowdown, and still my friend would know where the gear position sensor is located

Spyder Garage

Sounds like restricted oil flow or low oil pressure in the HCM. I would first check to see if the HCM filter (transmission filter) has been installed correctly. Since your trouble started after the filter change. Filter could be backward or the filter opening not fitted over the boss in the HCM. If the filter is OK. Then I would drain the oil in the oil tank and check if there is something blocking the screen on the HCM oil suction line.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Sounds like restricted oil flow or low oil pressure in the HCM. I would first check to see if the HCM filter (transmission filter) has been installed correctly. Since your trouble started after the filter change. Filter could be backward or the filter opening not fitted over the boss in the HCM. If the filter is OK. Then I would drain the oil in the oil tank and check if there is something blocking the screen on the HCM oil suction line.
    Tomorrow I will definitely check the filter again but before the gear shift had a very similar noise it has compressed air valves now the changes are much slower and that compressed air noise seems to have vanished, from which piece is the gear oil pressure adjusted? And still could be the cause of the cause of the gear that does not change or a problem of filter placed badly

Spyder Garage

The HCM oil pressure is not adjustable. Either it is correct or not. I am suggesting the easy mechanical stuff first. Also check the shift lever. Left side, just in front of your foot peg. Make sure the lever is not loose on the spline shaft. It can bind if it is.

Also when it fails to shift from neutral to first or reverse. Does the engine rev up to 2,000 rpm by itself. Up to 3 times. If yes, that is an indicator of a mechanical or hydraulic problem. If no, then then could be an electrical issue.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

The HCM oil pressure is not adjustable. Either it is correct or not. I am suggesting the easy mechanical stuff first. Also check the shift lever. Left side, just in front of your foot peg. Make sure the lever is not loose on the spline shaft. It can bind if it is.

Also when it fails to shift from neutral to first or reverse. Does the engine rev up to 2,000 rpm by itself. Up to 3 times. If yes, that is an indicator of a mechanical or hydraulic problem. If no, then then could be an electrical issue.
    Sorry my friend explain the issue of speed because I noticed that there is something wrong with the shift lever I have the sequential change where is the lever I should control? You could be more accurate please and thank you so much for your interest please excuse me for my english but i translate online

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gozzillaman View Post
    Sorry my friend explain the issue of speed because I noticed that there is something wrong with the shift lever I have the sequential change where is the lever I should control? You could be more accurate please and thank you so much for your interest please excuse me for my english but i translate online
    Boys are in the panic you were right my friend sometimes has difficulty even going from neutral to first gear i do not know what to do i only changed oil and engine oil filter and gearbox also the engine speed number does not look the same in gear changes It's always very low what can happen i do not know how to make my friends for me Spyder is crucial because I move with the crutches please help me thank you

Spyder Garage

Boys are in the panic you were right my friend sometimes has difficulty even going from neutral to first gear i do not know what to do i only changed oil and engine oil filter and gearbox also the engine speed number does not look the same in gear changes It's always very low what can happen i do not know how to make my friends for me Spyder is crucial because I move with the crutches please help me thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Upgrading guys I went after having traveled 600 km to my Can Am Spyder dealer after performing diagnostic and electronically testing all the actuators the vehicle did not pose any problem for scruple I replaced the oil filter replacement filter and original oil I started on the road to Home but halfway the gear has locked back in the third and then in the fifth gear and gave me a broken code P 0 7 30 help me what to do please I can not traverse another 600 km

Spyder Garage

P0730 Incorrect gear ratio. This fault definitely points to a defective Gear Position Sensor. It likely needs to be replaced. Inspect it first before ordering a new one.

Gear Sensor.JPG

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

P0730 Incorrect gear ratio. This fault definitely points to a defective Gear Position Sensor. It likely needs to be replaced. Inspect it first before ordering a new one.

Gear Sensor.JPG
    Thanks for the reply I apologize for the replacement of this sensor involves re-programming the dealership or I can replace it with my trusted mechanic because otherwise I would have to retrace 600 km

Spyder Garage

According to the service manual the sensor needs to be calibrated after being replaced. Some people have claimed that they have changed it without calibrating and it worked fine. So maybe if you are lucky you may not need to go to a dealer to calibrate it.

Before you do any of that. Inspect it first. Notice that the sensor is beside the engine oil filter. Maybe you pulled the plug loose after changing the oil.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

According to the service manual the sensor needs to be calibrated after being replaced. Some people have claimed that they have changed it without calibrating and it worked fine. So maybe if you are lucky you may not need to go to a dealer to calibrate it.

Before you do any of that. Inspect it first. Notice that the sensor is beside the engine oil filter. Maybe you pulled the plug loose after changing the oil.

Thanks and I let you know