Spyder Garage

Default Whats the best and easiest GPS unit

I've had a couple Gps units and they have proved a pain in the A## to program, now I'm an idiot so that may explain it but given that handicap are there recommendations for units that can over come my mental deficiency?
    I use my cell phone, no problem but I'd rather find a GPS unit.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdsd1 View Post
    I've had a couple Gps units and they have proved a pain in the A## to program, now I'm an idiot so that may explain it but given that handicap are there recommendations for units that can over come my mental deficiency?
    Any vehicle-based gps is going to have a learning curve associated with getting the most out of its capabilities. What do you mean by being difficult to program? Program what?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I agree with Pete. By programminng do you mean learning to use the GPS out of the box or do you mean learning to create routes using some other program and learning both the program and how to import it to the GPS? If the former, just read the operator's manual and play with the GPS. If the latter, there are a variety of route planning software programs and you must select the one you are most comfortable with and which is easiest to export to your GPS. Give us a GPS make and model and we might be able to be of more assistance.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default GPS

I use a Garmin Nuvi 550, it is water resistant and easy to use. It does not have Bluetooth, but is loud enough for me to hear with a full helmet.

Michael
    W5MWI

USN Vet - RM1
    Member: VFW & American Legion

2020 Spyder RT-L - Jupiter Metallic Blue Chrome

Spyder Garage

Default GPS Unit

I use a TomTom XXL automobile GPS.
    Mounted to the handle bar bolts with a Ram Ball and XGrip.
    The interface is basic and easy to learn.
    i don't do any advance route planning.
    Good Luck. David c.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

I just use the Garmin NUVI 57LM it is what I use all the time when traveling. The Garmin is easy to use and you came put in multiple stops in your route. I used the Lamonster SpyderDock and then used the 1" ram ball by 17mm ball made of aluminum by GPSBikemount. This setup works good. Easy to find gas stations, motels and eating places.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Your iPhone

Spyder Garage

This is a very good forum to learn about using a GPS. You will have to get an account but it is free.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/GarminBasecamp

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had a Zumo 660 on my 2014 RT-L. I thought that it was reasonably easy to use.
    The new bike with have the 590; I'll be back to learning about the new features again!
    We've had two OEM Navigation systems in cars: Our 2006 Chrysler 300, and our current 2015 RAV4.
    The Toyota's system has had many years of refinement added to it, and it might be the easiest system that I've seen so far.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Co-Pilot & Sena 20S

I've had my 2016 RT-S for 2 weeks now, And got the Sena 20S. So today I wanted to try using my Phone with Co-Pilot GPS program. I have used this program a few times along side my Garmin Nuvi and it works well. So today I wanted to see if it would work and it worked quite well. I was using a Motorola Moto G connected with Bluetooth. Co-Pilot has a free version to test it out with and full version is only about $12. Very cheap and good way to go. And you can also carry it with you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I agree with Pete. By programminng do you mean learning to use the GPS out of the box or do you mean learning to create routes using some other program and learning both the program and how to import it to the GPS? If the former, just read the operator's manual and play with the GPS. If the latter, there are a variety of route planning software programs and you must select the one you are most comfortable with and which is easiest to export to your GPS. Give us a GPS make and model and we might be able to be of more assistance.
    I have a Garmen, again an example of my DUH. All I want to do is program a FROM/TO. The unit I have does not make that easy, my cell phone is a simple from CURRENT Location/to location.

Spyder Garage

I have a Garmen, again an example of my DUH. All I want to do is program a FROM/TO. The unit I have does not make that easy, my cell phone is a simple from CURRENT Location/to location.
    The various models of Garmin GPS do not all follow the same format therefore you do have to "play" with them a bit to learn the idiosyncracies of your particular model. For example, one of mine, a Nuvi 2460 wants me to enter city or Zip Code right off the bat before I can enter a street number and then street name. OTOH, my Zumo 590 lets me enter the street number and name and it automatically searches NC, SC and GA, and if the number and street name to not appear in that search it asks me to enter a city if there is no exact street address identical to the one I entered. Yes, it can be a bit of a PITA but once you take the time to do a little "playing" you will understand how your particular unit's software works. Both GPS units, and I assume all Garmins are this way, know where I am as long as the device can acquire GPS satellites so there is no From to be entered. Play with your unit inside your house where it can't acquire satellites and it will tell you so.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default gps

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    This is a very good forum to learn about using a GPS. You will have to get an account but it is free.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/GarminBasecamp
    If you can't figure out the GPS you'll never figure out basecamp
    Paul