Spyder Garage

Default Looking For Suggestions

My Spyderpops "missing heat shield" came off today. The sticky tape is gone. The shield itself is in perfect condition. It's been on my Spyder for 5 years, so no big deal that the tape wore out!!

Any suggestions on what to use to re-attach it??? I do have the same type of double sided tape. I was thinking more along the lines of glue? My immediate thought was gorilla glue, but that stuff expands quite a bit and can get very messy....
    Magnesium 2011 RS SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would try and stay with a double-sided tape: the type that they use to install automotive bodyside moldings!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vampyregirl View Post
    My Spyderpops "missing heat shield" came off today. The sticky tape is gone. The shield itself is in perfect condition. It's been on my Spyder for 5 years, so no big deal that the tape wore out!!

Any suggestions on what to use to re-attach it??? I do have the same type of double sided tape. I was thinking more along the lines of glue? My immediate thought was gorilla glue, but that stuff expands quite a bit and can get very messy....

When mine came of my 2008 GS I used two wire ties. It's been on with wire ties for over 7 years. Harvey actually sent me another; but, I was to lazy to put it on.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HEAT SHIELD

Is there a way you could POP rivet it , that wouldn't be noticed..... like adding a bracket and do it from underneath ???? ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Is there a way you could POP rivet it , that wouldn't be noticed..... like adding a bracket and do it from underneath ???? ..... Mike
    I don't think so. It sticks to the back side of the bracket that holds the foot peg, so it's plastic against metal....

I'm thinking Bob is right. Using the same type of tape after I clean off all the dirt and residue from the old tape.... And I has that stuff in the garage!!!!
    Magnesium 2011 RS SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you can get to the mounting spot with some rubbing alcohol: that does a fan-dang-tastic job of cleaning off adhesive residue, and creating a clean surface for the best possible adhesion!

Spyder Garage

Either rubbing alcohol, goo-gone or nail polish remover!!!
    Magnesium 2011 RS SE5

Spyder Garage

Mine fell off. I drilled two 4mm holes (one at either end of the bar it is supposed to be stuck to) & bolted it on. Been secure for 3 years now. The part I drilled is not a stressed area so it won't break.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Hi vampyregirl,

Re: My Spyderpops "missing heat shield" came off today.

A few months or more ago, mine broke into numerous pieces with a large piece broken off & long gone.

I contacted SpyderPops and was informed that my only option was to buy another kit; no option of buying just the broken piece. I bought a new kit.

Re: The sticky tape is gone.

My double-sided tape was still intact holding some remnant pieces of my heat shield. It was a bear to get most of it off. I got what I could off, cleaned it with solvent, let it dry & installed the new kit.

They also get pop-rivetted on with pop-rivets & washers supplied by Harvey.

Re: The shield itself is in perfect condition.

IMO consider yourself lucky; you just saved $58.

Re: Any suggestions on what to use to re-attach it???

I would suggest that you contact Harvey & see if he will sell a foot or so of his tape.

If you, or whoever installed your kit, did a good job of cleaning the Tupperware prior to placing the tape in place, I'm rather surprised that it failed. But, always a first time for just about anything.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

I installed it... It looks like the tape just ripped off at some point! I felt behind the bracket and it doesn't seem like any of the tape is still on there!! Not sure how that happened, but I'm just glad it didn't come off while I was ryding and get caught up in the back tire!!!
    Magnesium 2011 RS SE5

Spyder Garage

3m automotive tape, it's fantastic.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I installed it... It looks like the tape just ripped off at some point! I felt behind the bracket and it doesn't seem like any of the tape is still on there!! Not sure how that happened, but I'm just glad it didn't come off while I was ryding and get caught up in the back tire!!!
    That tape must have entered the "Bermuda Triangle" of missing bike parts and tools...
    on getting everything nailed back together again!

Spyder Garage

Samson hit the bulls-eye. Keep a close eye on your replacement job and if you see it loosening in any way, pull it off and get some of the double sticky tape 3M Super Strength Molding Tape, part #06315, AND 3M adhesion promoter, part #06396. Thoroughly clean both surfaces, lastly with alcohol and then wipe the surfaces thoroughly with the adhesive promoter. It gives you 10 min curing time. You get one good shot to put everything in place and it will hold. The instructions for the tape do not say you should use the adhesive promoter but a 3M technician told me you must use it to get the best bond.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Re-installed it today. I initially used the 3M automotive tape. Didn't like the way it was still moving around. Got out ye olde drill and used my new drill bits to bolt it to the bracket. It ain't goin' no where now!!!!
    Magnesium 2011 RS SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage