Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Insurance Cost VS 2 Wheeled Bike Insurance Cost

I know there are lots of variables that can play into what a person's insurance costs are, but..... do yall have any ideas why insurance on my 2017 Spyder F3 would be more than DOUBLE what my husbands policy is on his 2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse? (same coverage/deductible/etc) The value of his Indian is greater than the F3 and it has a bigger engine than my F3. WTF?

FYI: This is through Allstate. I've questioned this and had our agent run the numbers 3 times. Still the same quote. We just switched from Progressive to Allstate because they were MUCH LESS overall. But it still hacks me off that my bike is so much more expensive to insure than the husbands. : /

sincerely... Pouty McPoutsalot

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pouty,

You might need a different Company.
    Some of them blindly assign surcharges to any and all three-wheeled motorcycles.
    Check with your Agent to see if this is what has happened.
    A SMART Company will ask if the Trike is a conversion or not; before surcharging the risk.
    Good luck, and happy hunting!
    For the Record: The American Modern Group, and Safeco do not!
    (Mine is through Safeco as part of an entire account: Auto, Home, Umbrella, and Bike.)
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 07-25-2017 at 11:28 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default COST DIFFERENCE

Quote Originally Posted by adzgrrrl View Post
    I know there are lots of variables that can play into what a person's insurance costs are, but..... do yall have any ideas why insurance on my 2017 Spyder F3 would be more than DOUBLE what my husbands policy is on his 2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse? (same coverage/deductible/etc) The value of his Indian is greater than the F3 and it has a bigger engine than my F3. WTF?

FYI: This is through Allstate. I've questioned this and had our agent run the numbers 3 times. Still the same quote. We just switched from Progressive to Allstate because they were MUCH LESS overall. But it still hacks me off that my bike is so much more expensive to insure than the husbands. : /

With Bob, imho conventional trikes are " Death machines " compared to the Spyders, and what He says about agents are spot on........ Try Dairyland ..... I just renewed my 14 RT for $ 193.00 for Excellent complete coverage. I can ride a full 12 mos. if I want ..... there is no cut-off date for my Winter discount ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default still pouty here

https://www.allstate.com/tools-and-r...insurance.aspx

They have our picture on their website! They should give us a discount for that! LOL

I got a quote from Dairyland and it was comparable to Allstate. $1775.98 for a 12 months policy for the Spyder and the Indian. (they didn't show a separate breakdown for each bike on the quote)

We don't have any accidents or tickets on our records and are definitely not spring chickens. Pouty is morphing into cranky. LOLOLOL. I need to get out and ride and just say to heck with it.

Spyder Garage

I have Progressive with a multi-bike policy and just the 2016 Spyder RT is over $750, about the same cost as the other 3 bikes together. One of the others is an Aprilia speed demon.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KosherKid View Post
    I have Progressive with a multi-bike policy and just the 2016 Spyder RT is over $750, about the same cost as the other 3 bikes together. One of the others is an Aprilia speed demon.
    Try Geico.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If I were paying those kinds of rates for insurance I wouldn't even own a bike! Insurance is such a racket!

I'm on progressive, 2012 RS runs about $150 yr.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KosherKid View Post
    This is just crazy!!! Why? Overall, I think we Spyder ryders are a pretty safe risk bunch. The bike isn't cheap, so we're more likely to take care of it after spending our hard earned $$$ on it. We (generally speaking) aren't irresponsible whippersnappers. Why are they charging some of us out the wazzzoooo?

Can ya'll tell I'm obsessing over this? hahaha.

Spyder Garage

I Have State Farm, I pay $149.50 a year
    Last edited by Zip; 07-25-2017 at 12:48 PM.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    If I were paying those kinds of rates for insurance I wouldn't even own a bike! Insurance is such a racket!

I'm on progressive, 2012 RS runs about $150 yr.
    Progressive was charging me $1500ish per year!!!!! I am female, 48, with no accidents, and no tickets on my record. And have taken the MSF course.

<battled in Alabama>

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just went in on Allstate's website, and got a quote for an address in Huntsville for my old bike.
    (2014 RT Limited)
    For the enhanced policy: it was $1138 for a year!
    That DOES seem kind of high...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

How many years riding do you have on conventional two wheeler bikes and how many on the Spyder? Might have something to do with it.
    Bruce

2014 RTS-SE6
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena BT Dongle
    Sirius Radio
    Dash bar
    Show Chrome Trunk Rack

"You know that a politician is lying if his lips are moving"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    How many years riding do you have on conventional two wheeler bikes and how many on the Spyder? Might have something to do with it.
    20+ years on two wheels, but I just got my Spyder a few months ago.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I just went in on Allstate's website, and got a quote for an address in Huntsville for my old bike.
    (2014 RT Limited)
    For the enhanced policy: it was $1138 for a year!
    That DOES seem kind of high...
    We'll crap... I guess it's maybe just an HSV Alabama thing. I always thought that we had a bunch of jackwagon drivers here, but I guess that proves it. <razza frazza>

That's for doing that, Bob. I appreciate it. It helps to compare apples to apples.

Spyder Garage

We'll crap... I guess it's maybe just an HSV Alabama thing. I always thought that we had a bunch of jackwagon drivers here, but I guess that proves it. <razza frazza>

That's for doing that, Bob. I appreciate it. It helps to compare apples to apples.
    Your too close to Fla
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    Your too close to Fla
    HAHAHA. Yep... that's where all the crazy sh!+ goes down. ahahha. I have a couple friends that live in Florida and they are always posting news stories about the weirdness that happens there. Always with the hashtag #onlyinflorida

Spyder Garage

i have markel insurance. my first year with the spyder was 293.
    this year i also put my victory cross roads with it .little over 300.
    im 69 years old. this company insures powersports only,no cars or trucks
    and is highly rated. i have low deductibles and carry pretty high coverages.
    keep in mind too that your credit score plays heavily into your rates and
    also the area you live.
    Last edited by irvin48; 07-25-2017 at 01:35 PM.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

But if it were just a state thing, the husbands bike would be expensive to insure too. That's the thing that REALLY hacks me off! hahaha. That's alota farkles, damn it!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irvin48 View Post
    i have markel insurance. my first year with the spyder was 293.
    this year i also put my victory cross roads with it .little over 300.
    im 69 years old. this company insures powersports only,no cars or trucks
    and is highly rated. i have low deductibles and carry pretty high coverages.
    keep in mind too that your credit score plays heavily into your rates and
    also the area you live.
    hmmmmm. I will have to check them out....
    Credit score shouldn't be a factor with us either... I'm at a losss here for what else could factor in.

I'm sensing a Spyder Conspiracy here!!! I'm being singled out for my 3-wheeled-ness. Who can I sue!?!??!?

<soooooo just kidding>

Spyder Garage

Some State Farm prices for me in Alaska.

17 Subaru Outback: 528 per year--44 per month
    15 Kawi Vulcan 900: 444 per year--37 per month
    14 Spyder RT-S: 522 per year--44 per month
    11 Spyder RT-A&C: 416 per year--35 per month

I carry full coverage on all with a 500 deductible. Cost will vary from Company to company, state to state, and person to person.

Been with State Farm since 1965. They have my home and the four vehicles above. When I have an issue, I can talk with my local agent. They pay when I have had any claims and no arguments or BS so far.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-11-2017 at 03:02 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Some State Farm prices for me in Alaska.

17 Subaru Outback: 528 per year--44 per month
    15 Kawi Vulcan 900: 444 per year--37 per month
    14 Spyder RT-S: 522 per year--44 per month
    11 Spyder RT-A&C: 416 per year--35 per month

I carry full coverage on all with a 500 deductible. Cost will vary from Company to company, state to state, and person to person.

Been with State Farm since 1965. They have my home and the four vehicles above. When I have an issue, I can talke with my local agent. They pay when I have had any claims and no arguments or BS so far.
    Thanks, akspyderman... I am getting a quote from then next!

Spyder Garage

Default Markel

I agree with the Markel (markelinsuresfun.com) recommendation. Check to make sure you don't have some additional coverage you don't want. I recently became a Spyder ryder and my cost is about the same as my Victory. However when I added my RT-L to my policy, additional coverages were added that increased my costs significantly (something about Florida law saying I had to have it unless I have paperwork saying I don't want it). Once I jumped that bureaucratic obstacle, my costs went back down to reasonable.

As an aside, I won't even consider Allstate after they sent me a bill for more premium 10 months after I had already paid what they told me my entire year's bill was. They said it was because my rates changed when they could charge my checking account automatically each month. When asked why that wasn't taken into account when they gave me a price for paying it all up front, that answer was "Tough".

I also won't consider State Farm because when they thought I owed them some money following an accident, instead of sending me or my insurance company a bill (they knew how to contact us), they sent it directly to a collection agency who wrote a letter to Florida telling them they should take my license because I wasn't being financially responsible.

Anyway, Markel is good.
    2017 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I to recommend Dairyland. I had my goldwing insured through Erie and the wing was almost $600. My 16 RTL is $300 with good limits and roadside. Chris
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

Well, you got me nervous, as I'm picking up my new Spyder F3 on Friday and hadn't even thought that the insurance would be higher. But, here in Virginia, it is not. I have Allstate as well (home, cars, motorcycles), and my agent just checked and it will be $153 to $161 per year (depends on the VIN). That is about what we pay for each of our other bikes (Harleys and a Suzuki V-Strom).

That's a huge difference apparently just based on location. (We are also ... mature riders with good driving records.)

Spyder Garage

In February I totalled my Harley Electraglide Classic, waking up in an ICU. After 4 weeks in the hospital my wife showed me that despite her MS she could get on a Spyder (never could get on the Harley) so we got one.

Progressive paid me $10,800 on the bike and $2000 of the hospital bill (about 1/4 days' bill ) so I expected a major increase in the premium on the Spyder.

--it went DOWN to $276/year
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue