Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Our biggest peeve with most rallys is the lack of preparedness and safety for the group rides. We pretty much avoid the group rides as they often get lost, don't know the way and most do not even have a proper safety briefing on how the group is going to ride. No hand signals, no mention of order, tap outs, staggering, lane change or signaling.

We generally form a smaller group of our own and ride the route with friends we know and have a short safety discussion before hand. Have seen far to many problems and near misses on the disorganized group rides. Lots of room for improvement.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Would a rally on the Gulf Coast in March or April be good do you think?
    Spyders on the Bayou is held in March in Houma, LA. I've been there twice and it's a very nice event.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll be attending my first event in about a month (Spyderquest), so have no experience so far.

But, one thing I'd like to see is an informal workshop on just basic maintenance - how to access all the panels and battery etc.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Our biggest peeve with most rallys is the lack of preparedness and safety for the group rides. We pretty much avoid the group rides as they often get lost, don't know the way and most do not even have a proper safety briefing on how the group is going to ride. No hand signals, no mention of order, tap outs, staggering, lane change or signaling.

We generally form a smaller group of our own and ride the route with friends we know and have a short safety discussion before hand. Have seen far to many problems and near misses on the disorganized group rides. Lots of room for improvement.
    JC at the Nor-Cal Spyder Rally all group rydes are conducted bu "Trained Road Captains." All Road Captains have gone through a training session so they are aware of the following:

The Route: we require that all routes have been pre-Ryden within the week so that we know about construction and other road conditions before we take a group out on the ryde.

All rydes are led by a trained Road Captain, and there is a trained Road Cpatain serving as a Sweep to assist with any mechanical or physical issues that occur within the group. In most cases these two Road Captains are also in direct communication with each other. With very large groups we split them up and put 4 Road Captains with the groups as lead and sweep.

We always conduct a safety session before before each ryde including the route, the destination, the stops along the way and Turn Signals. When I lead a ryde I signal every turn with turn indicators and hand signals. I comminicate with my sweep to make sure they are seeing all of the signals make it back to the back, and we reinforce the need for this when we have a fuel stop.

We also explain a concept called "bread crumbs". We tell all ryders that if they are with the group and we are making a turn, if they can't see the motorcycle behind them, they should stop at that turn in a safe place where they can be seen by the following members of the group. Our groups never make a turn without leaving this bread crumb behind. It has only rarely been an issue, but is very reassuring if some one has had to fall behind for whatever reason, and we have never lost a Ryder. Of course we discuss proper formation and staggering. On occasion if we have someone who is not conducting themselves in a safe manner we will excuse them from the group. Zero Tolerance for Alcohol on our rydes.

So JC come join us in Nor-Cal so we can compare notes.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Good deal. I'll have a chance to check it out next month. I usually avoid group rides also for reasons mentioned but I'm willing to give it a go and see if my experience this time is better than in the past.
    Look forward to meeting you Pete!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Many brands View Post
    I personally - have found it VERY hard to "break into" the group. (Sacramento, ca.) Nice enough folks -- just felt I and my Wife were outsiders.
    Yes I know what you mean. Had this happen to me more than once start talking with someone bannering back and forth someone walks up Hey ? And your yesterday's news walk away and don't even acknowledge your alive or introduce you. So they walked away talking to there long lost friend! On a positive note Meet a couple in Springfield couple years ago in a Wal-Mart parking lot. We must have talked for a hour or more best experience at a Rally I've had to date Sad I know some people have been going to these Rally's for years and made great friends but I have to imagine there are a lot of people who go once and never go back!
    Last edited by ABQSpyder; 08-09-2017 at 06:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

Meeting other spyder owners, going on rides in area, visiting venders, catching up with other spyder owners that we have met at other spyder events or various rides, enjoying the scenic country rides, seeing what other spyder owners added for upgrades/farkles.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Well

Quote Originally Posted by ABQSpyder View Post
    Yes I know what you mean. Had this happen to me more than once start talking with someone bannering back and forth someone walks up Hey ? And your yesterday's news walk away and don't even acknowledge when they walked away talking to there long lost friend! Meet a couple in Springfield couple years ago in a Wal-Mart parking lot. We must have talked for a hour or more best experience at a Rally. I know some people have been going to these Rally's for years and made great friends but I have to imagine there are a lot of people who go once and never go back!
    ABQ, come on up and we will do our best to change your mind! But you have to be willing to come out and ryde with us and take time to meet as many of us as you can, oh and come bowling with us and the Team from BRP!
    Last edited by Pirate looks at --; 08-09-2017 at 11:06 PM.

Spyder Garage

Bowling 🎳

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kredab View Post
    My dealer is building a huge new building to house Dr Powersports. The owner wants to turn it into a destination for Spyders.The pictures attached are the new building.
    1) what do you like or dislike about Spyder Events ?
    2) do you travels to dealers to see what accessories they have?

Thank you you in advance, I want to know your thoughts
    where are you located in Iowa?????? we are NISR "nicer" (Nebraska Iowa Spyder Ryders) and always looking for new ride routes. are you aware of the Spyderfever rally coming up in Council Bluffs??? go to our website or find us on Facebook.
    BIG F - Founding member of NISR

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the feedback. How many different Spyder rallies have you been to and is there a difference between the for-profit and the non-profit club-sponsored rallies in this regard, do you think?

No difference really. Some a bit better than others but none great and I will not call out the really bad ones.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    JC at the Nor-Cal Spyder Rally all group rydes are conducted bu "Trained Road Captains." All Road Captains have gone through a training session so they are aware of the following:

The Route: we require that all routes have been pre-Ryden within the week so that we know about construction and other road conditions before we take a group out on the ryde.

All rydes are led by a trained Road Captain, and there is a trained Road Cpatain serving as a Sweep to assist with any mechanical or physical issues that occur within the group. In most cases these two Road Captains are also in direct communication with each other. With very large groups we split them up and put 4 Road Captains with the groups as lead and sweep.

We always conduct a safety session before before each ryde including the route, the destination, the stops along the way and Turn Signals. When I lead a ryde I signal every turn with turn indicators and hand signals. I comminicate with my sweep to make sure they are seeing all of the signals make it back to the back, and we reinforce the need for this when we have a fuel stop.

We also explain a concept called "bread crumbs". We tell all ryders that if they are with the group and we are making a turn, if they can't see the motorcycle behind them, they should stop at that turn in a safe place where they can be seen by the following members of the group. Our groups never make a turn without leaving this bread crumb behind. It has only rarely been an issue, but is very reassuring if some one has had to fall behind for whatever reason, and we have never lost a Ryder. Of course we discuss proper formation and staggering. On occasion if we have someone who is not conducting themselves in a safe manner we will excuse them from the group. Zero Tolerance for Alcohol on our rydes.

So JC come join us in Nor-Cal so we can compare notes.
    Would dearly love to attend the Nor-Cal rally as it sounds like an amazing event. Unfortunately for us working stiffs, its way too far to attend until I retire. Just cannot take enough weeks off to make a trip of that length enjoyable. Red Rocks and Deadwood were big stretches for us and only really happened as I was laid off for a period last year.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    where are you located in Iowa?????? we are NISR "nicer" (Nebraska Iowa Spyder Ryders) and always looking for new ride routes. are you aware of the Spyderfever rally coming up in Council Bluffs??? go to our website or find us on Facebook.
    BIG F - Founding member of NISR
    He is in Waterloo

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Yep

Would dearly love to attend the Nor-Cal rally as it sounds like an amazing event. Unfortunately for us working stiffs, its way too far to attend until I retire. Just cannot take enough weeks off to make a trip of that length enjoyable. Red Rocks and Deadwood were big stretches for us and only really happened as I was laid off for a period last year.
    Working stiff here too. I wouldn't be able to go either if it weren't in my own backyard!

Spyder Garage

I hear you. Fortunately I have survived my working years with enough mental and physical health left to enjoy retirement! I couldn't enjoy motorcycling enough before so I'm trying to make up for lost time. Is that ever possible?
    The short answer is No. If you come up with better, please let me know. I am in the same boat.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've never been to a Spyder event but have been to other biker events.

I hate long lines
    bad food
    rain
    rude grumpy old people
    poorly organized staff
    staff who treats you like you should know where everything is even though its your first time there
    staff who could care less if you ever come back
    vendors who don't show up or show up late

and above all....diarrhea. I either get diarrhea or constipation because my diet turns to crap on these trips.

See everyone at SpyderQuest 2017 Lake George NY GEL.

Spyder Garage

Group Rides:

I've done them, don't care for them. They always end up too big, getting broken up, etc.

If you're going to do group rides, keep the groups SMALL... like 5-6 people max.

Have maps in printed and versions that can load into a Garmin, googlemaps, etc.

Still won't catch me on one. I usually get together with a few buds at Spyderfest and go out and tear things up... but it's not really an organized group ride and we keep it to 4 maximum.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    I've never been to a Spyder event but have been to other biker events.

I hate long lines
    bad food
    rain
    rude grumpy old people
    poorly organized staff
    staff who treats you like you should know where everything is even though its your first time there
    staff who could care less if you ever come back
    vendors who don't show up or show up late

and above all....diarrhea. I either get diarrhea or constipation because my diet turns to crap on these trips.

See everyone at SpyderQuest 2017 Lake George NY GEL.

I don't think the rally organizer/staff can help you with that last one!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Rally

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I don't think the rally organizer/staff can help you with that last one!
    I have been to four in the last two years. I like one of the previous comments seemed to be ignored. It was like if you were not part of the group you were ignored. A couple of other people I have met felt the same way. This may be just perception, but perception is reality. Don't get me wrong I still like to go for the vendors and exploring new areas. Love the Maggie Valley event.
    2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Front Bumper (Black)
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Ebbets Pass

You know, I just realized one of the things that is missing for me about the typical rally is the lack of information about who (the team) is organizing and running it. Along with pictures and a bio and maybe a quick friendly blurb about the team philosophy. I think that would go a long way to making people part of the event before they even get there.

Never done Ebbets Pass, but did Sonora Pass on my two-wheeler about 6 years ago. Spectacular.

You'll just love Ebbets Pass. Especially on one of the many narrow hairpin turns when you meet with a motorhome that NEVER should have taken Hwy 4. It is also a spectacular ryde. Used to have a cabin out of Arnold and skied Bear Valley ALOT.

A 45' motorhome on a steep downhill, tight hair pin turn will cause-------------------- Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe it's time to revive this thread?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Hey KREDAB, how are you doing??? where is this dealership located? interesting questions you have. but in today's techy world, it seems most people shop for accessories and small stuff on-line as opposed going to a dealership.. just my thoughts.
    BIG F

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kredab View Post
    My dealer is building a huge new building to house Dr Powersports. The owner wants to turn it into a destination for Spyders.The pictures attached are the new building.
    1) what do you like or dislike about Spyder Events ?
    2) do you travels to dealers to see what accessories they have?

Thank you you in advance, I want to know your thoughts
    Hey Big F your right on point with your post but the op is two years old.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you still feel this is so?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    I'll be attending my first event in about a month (Spyderquest), so have no experience so far.

But, one thing I'd like to see is an informal workshop on just basic maintenance - how to access all the panels and battery etc.
    We do a workshop at Sierra Cycles whenever the Ryde-In is at Tombstone or Sierra Vista, AZ. You were the inspiration for it.
    2014 RTL Platinum