Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Trying To Understand Tire Data: PSI/Load Index

There have been numerous post all over this community forum focusing on the question of what is the optimal rear tire pressure for a replacement car tire on a Spyder. The resultant answers range from 18-30 PSI. After much research, I decided to go with the Kuhmo Ecsta AST(225/50R15 91H) tire on my RT Limited.
    Today I found hard data regarding a 91H rated tire vs. a 76H rated tire from the TRA Standard Load Inflation Table

PSI Load Index
    22- 904 lbs vs. 584 lbs
    23- 948 lbs vs. 617 lbs
    24- 975 lbs vs. 634 lbs
    25- 992 lbs vs. 650 lbs
    26- 1047 lbs vs. 683 lbs
    27- 1069 lbs vs. 697 lbs
    28- 1091 lbs vs. 705 lbs
    29- 1135 lbs vs. 739 lbs
    30- 1179 lbs vs. 772 lbs
    31- 1190 lbs vs. 779 lbs
    32- 1224 lbs vs. 794 lbs
    33- 1268 lbs vs. 827 lbs
    34- 1268 lbs vs. 838 lbs
    35- 1312 lbs vs. 849 lbs
    36- 1356 lbs vs. 882 lbs

I could not find data for <22PSI. The data's end point is 36 PSI because that represents the maximum pressure for the tire by TRA.
    To say that this data is an eye opener is an understatement. Using my riding style(2-up 95%) as the example, I've got my Kenda inflated between 28-29 PSI (705-739 lbs load). When I change to the Kumho, based on the data, I could run it @22lbs and have more "strength" in it compared to the nominal pressure for the OEM tire. What I need to know is this the data that I should be looking at?????
    Mike
    Last edited by MikeT; 07-23-2017 at 03:47 PM.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike,
    Thanks for the data ; But I think that you should:

Ride More Worry Less.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRE PRESSURE

Did you happen to check whether or not this Data Table is for Motorcycles ???? .... If it's for cars or pick-ups then it wasn't tested using Motorcycles ( or Spyders ) ...... But you are in the correct area for a Car tire on the rear of any Spyder ..... I like 18 psi ..... ask Peter what He thinks .... Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    What I need to know is this the data that I should be looking at?????
    Mike
    I would say it's interesting to see this data but I wouldn't focus on it. Think of it this way. You want the tire to wear evenly across the tread. A tire that is inflated to, say, 10 psi but carrying no load will sit flat, or almost flat, on the ground. If you add a thousand pounds load on it it's going to squish down and not have a flat tread pattern. So what you want to shoot for is that pressure that carries the load you have on the bike and gives you even wear across the tread. You'll determine that best by more or less trial and error.

18 psi is probably a good starting point. If you look at the data for the 91H load you'll see it varies about 40 pounds/psi. I just graphed it and it's surprisingly linear. I thought it would be exponential, but it's not. Going down to 18 would drop roughly 160 pounds off the 22 psi load number, which is on the order of the 700 pounds load you mention for the 76H tire.

This, IMO, is all the overthinking your question needs!!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Did you happen to check whether or not this Data Table is for Motorcycles ???? .... If it's for cars or pick-ups then it wasn't tested using Motorcycles ( or Spyders ) ...... But you are in the correct area for a Car tire on the rear of any Spyder ..... I like 18 psi ..... ask Peter what He thinks .... Mike
    Mike,
    Thanks for your comments. The TAR data(multi page report) was developed for cars and trucks. The Load Index data is a universal grading system for ALL tires, motorcycle, auto, or truck(I checked before posting). Looks like I misjudged the community's desire for hard data on tires. The interesting point in the data is that the Load Index does not change equally as you increase, or decrease pressure.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Mike,
    Thanks for the data ; But I think that you should:

Ride More Worry Less.jpg
    Bob,
    Not to worry. Just attempting to understand the ins & outs of darkside.
    Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The interesting point in the data is that the Load Index does not change equally as you increase, or decrease pressure.
    Actually, it's more linear than one would think. Here's a chart I made from the table.

91H Tire Load rating.JPG

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob,
    Not to worry. Just attempting to understand the ins & outs of darkside.
    Mike
    I'm just ribbin' you a little bit...
    These things CAN make you crazy, if you let them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    These things CAN make you crazy, if you let them.
    AND just how stir crazy are you going to get waiting on your "black beauty" as the leaves are turning color???????

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage