Spyder Garage

Question 2017 F3-S: Passenger seat safety sensor (2017 model only) traction control MOD?

Anyone have a quick-fix solution to disable the passenger seat sensor?

I have a Cortech seat pack on the back seat. Not much weight, but it's securely attached and pushing down/held tight against second/passenger seat. Fairly certain that there is enough downward pressure (from pack on rear seat) so that it's triggering the safety over-ride. (Which inhibits the ability to disable traction control.)

Best way to circumvent this without removing the Corbin pack? Also wondering what effect unplugging the sensor might have on system.

Note: Disabling traction control is a new feature on 2017 F3-S models. But in order to work, rear seat can not have any weight on it. And it doesn't take much to activate the sensor. Sensor is triggered by an extremely lightweight/too light (sensitive) spring pushing up on left side of seat. ~ Spring is so light that I first thought the seat latch was defective/broken the way the seat appears loose/sticks up on one side. (without any weight on it)
    Last edited by TRLBLZR1; 07-23-2017 at 10:09 PM.
    🏁🏁 "Live Free Or Die" 🏁🏁

Spyder Garage

I am quite surprised that no one has ever responded to this post. Maybe it is something everyone knows, except Newbies!

I had the same question since my recent purchase of a 2018 F3-S.

Here is the unofficial information I got from one of the technicians at the dealership. If you disconnect the sensor it will throw a code. Worst case scenario, the vehicle goes into limp mode. Best case scenario the sport mode is disabled. Obviously, don't do it. The fix is to unscrew the sensor unit from the frame and move it where it will not be depressed. On mine there is a space under the pillion seat where the unit can be moved. I understand the Urban Rack has a raised area on the bottom so the sensor will not be depressed no matter how much stuff you stack on it. I have ordered one.
    2021 Grey RT Limited, Dark Edition; Baja Ron sway bar; Spyder Pops front fender and mirror pod LED turn signals

Spyder Garage

It's probably not something that most are aware of at all, hence the lack of responses.....

Sooo, not owning an F3 & only being able to ask people as equally unaware of the specifics as I was, with a few 'salespeople' (who may not really know any more!) thrown in for good measure, here's a few ideas that might help! I understand that disabling the sensor won't help that much, cos you'll likely get errors & probably only be able to run in 'limp mode'.... but I've never tried it myself! Still, I've heard that you can 'fool' the sensor by adding a similar sized but stronger spring in there.... Stronger spring to hold the button up, sensor doesn't trip, & awaaay you go!

I also heard that someone here had fabbed up a piece of PVC Pipe to sit over the sensor & stop it being pressed down by the weight of their pack, but I couldn't find the thread.... maybe someone else knows or can find the thread?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Just remove the plastic puck inside the sensor, no error codes, no restrictions
    2018 F3s, 2016 versys 650LT, 2001 concours 1000

Spyder Garage

[Just remove the plastic puck inside the sensor, no error codes, no restrictions]

HA!
    2021 Grey RT Limited, Dark Edition; Baja Ron sway bar; Spyder Pops front fender and mirror pod LED turn signals

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmarkel View Post
    [Just remove the plastic puck inside the sensor, no error codes, no restrictions]

HA!
    I'm serious, on my 2018 F3 s I removed the 2 screws on the top of the sensor pulled the top off and then removed the plastic plunger and reassembled. Easily reversed if needed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mully View Post
    I'm serious, on my 2018 F3 s I removed the 2 screws on the top of the sensor pulled the top off and then removed the plastic plunger and reassembled. Easily reversed if needed.
    Interesting to hear that?!? You haven't had any problems??

The people at Dealers that I spoke to all said that wouldn't work cos you'd get errors, codes, & maybe even end up in limp mode..... but like I said earlier, I'm not sure they were really any more aware of the specifics than I was, so I figured there was a fair bit of guess work going on!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Interesting to hear that?!? You haven't had any problems??

The people at Dealers that I spoke to all said that wouldn't work cos you'd get errors, codes, & maybe even end up in limp mode..... but like I said earlier, I'm not sure they were really any more aware of the specifics than I was, so I figured there was a fair bit of guess work going on!
    no problems, this does nothing with the electronics of the sensor, just makes the passenger seat unable to physically activate the sensor.

Spyder Garage

[I'm serious, on my 2018 F3 s I removed the 2 screws on the top of the sensor pulled the top off and then removed the plastic plunger and reassembled. Easily reversed if needed.]

I wasn't doubting you. I just thought that was an incredibly easy fix!

Spyder Garage

I fixed the problem on mine. take the plastic cap off the top, it just pops off. inside there is a small spring loaded piece of metal. I took some spongy 3/4 pipe insulation and sliced just enough to give it more upward resistance. it still works because the center part where the sensor is is free to still work because the foam is like a doughnut. Replace the cap and it should fix the problem.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I have recently upgraded to the cannonball seat and am having the same problem. Looking under the seat there is a piece of plastic that sticks out to depress the puck on the seat. I am going to take a Dremel to it and shave off a quarter inch or so it still activates when I am 2up. I would remove it all together but I am not sure if vss works differently if the computer is notified that there is weight on the rear. Thoughts?

Spyder Garage

There a 3 plastic clips that hold the cover over the spring loaded mechanism. I shaped 3 pieces of ply [ about 8 mm thick ] to fit under the cover without any free play between the plastic clips. Wrapped some black tape around the cover to hold in place. Hardly notice anything has been done. I don't carry a passenger, only a tail bag [ about 3 kg's total ] which has activated the sensor. Not any more.

Spyder Garage

Update: I trimmed about 1/8” off a voila. Never turns in for a single rider but with weight it works as it should. Tested with my 50lbs son lol.

Spyder Garage

I also removed the plastic disk and no problem, now I'm looking for something to trick the swerve sensor.