Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Filling the Gas Tank?

Every time I fill up with fuel on my F3-T, the nozzle shuts off early and doesn't allow me to resume . By "early" I mean that the fuel gauge only lights up one light "short", and even that light turns off quickly. At one point I was near empty, but it only took 4.8 or 5 gallons.

Are you all experiencing the same thing? If so, how do you deal with getting the tank as full as you'd expect? (Note: I'm not talking about filling it the rim or overflowing. I'd just like to get that last gallon or so into the tank.)

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default Try this....

If you have the epa nozzles pull back the cap to allow filling, pull the nozzle back and slowly (pay attention) slowly continue filling till you get bubbling at the vents (small holes around the center hole) then stop. It will not stop automatically.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FILLING GAS TANK

The gas nozzles are designed with normal Cars and Trucks in mind .... They have long fill tubes before the actual gas Tank .... We don't have that .... Unless you have done a canister-ectomy on the V-Twin engine Spyders ( or something similar ) Don't over - fill because Gas will go into the Charcoal canister and contaminate it ...... However on the 1330 RT's and I believe the F-3's have a different routing system that makes this type of contamination impossible ... I fill my gas tank ALMOST to the LIP where I can see it ..... No issues so far ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

What he said. Filling the same each time is important in being able to get a "ballpark" mpg. I watch carefully as I am filling the tank. As the gas comes up to the filler ring I go very slow. I bring the level up to the filler ring and let it settle back. A second time to the filler ring and I am done. No gas over the filler ring.

I reset the "A" meter to zero at each fill. Therefore I have the mileage on the tank as I ride. My two cylinder gets about 150 miles before the light goes on and the three cylinder gets about 210 miles. This translates into about 31 mpg on the two and 39-40 mpg on the three.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I light a match so I can see into the filler nozzle so as not to short myself of the 1/16th of a gallon.
    Butane lighters work best but use what's handy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    I light a match so I can see into the filler nozzle so as not to short myself of the 1/16th of a gallon.
    Those long lighters with the handle are even better for getting that light down into the tank. Gives you a better view of the gas approaching the top.

I believe that the 16th of a gallon is very important. If you are getting 39 miles per gallon that is an extra 2.4375 extra miles. If you are getting 31 miles per gallon that's an extra 1.9375 miles. That can come in very handy when it comes to thinking about the hike to the gas station.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-23-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default FILLING THE TANK

, 1/16 th of a Gallon ....my Patooty ..... on my RT after the nozzle auto shut-off kicks on .... I usually get over one gallon more into the tank .. that's about 38 miles for me ....... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Another Darwin Candidate...

FlameFest.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Every time I fill up with fuel on my F3-T, the nozzle shuts off early and doesn't allow me to resume . By "early" I mean that the fuel gauge only lights up one light "short", and even that light turns off quickly. At one point I was near empty, but it only took 4.8 or 5 gallons.

Are you all experiencing the same thing? If so, how do you deal with getting the tank as full as you'd expect? (Note: I'm not talking about filling it the rim or overflowing. I'd just like to get that last gallon or so into the tank.)

Thanks!
    I had the same problem when I first got my F3 Limited.

I learned early on that after the pump shuts off I manually squeeze the pump handle till it's filled. I put in anywhere from 1/2 to one gallon more gas. All my bars are now lit. Also, when I'm gassing up, I fill from the left side. When I'm manually filling the tank, I stand close to my bike with my right leg just in front of my passenger peg. As I'm pumping I jiggle the bike with my leg to settle the gas. Even though it's a liquid, you'd think it would settle as it fills. The last few ounces take a few more seconds to settle because of the filler tube. I'm just helping it along.

Try it and all your gas lights will light.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Hmmmm.......did we miss the sarcasm Bob??

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Another Darwin Candidate...

FlameFest.jpg
    2016 F3 Limited with Topcase, RT-622 trailer, Lamonster LED Headlights, Lamonster LED Fog lights, Lamonster LED Ring Lights, 25" F4 windshield, BRP Belt Tensioner, 2018 Triton GU10 trailer to haul it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shroth View Post

He just likes to use appropriate pictures. Cornfucious say "a picture is worth a thousand words."

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I had the same problem when I first got my F3 Limited.

I learned early on that after the pump shuts off I manually squeeze the pump handle till it's filled. I put in anywhere from 1/2 to one gallon more gas. All my bars are now lit. Also, when I'm gassing up, I fill from the left side. When I'm manually filling the tank, I stand close to my bike with my right leg just in front of my passenger peg. As I'm pumping I jiggle the bike with my leg to settle the gas. Even though it's a liquid, you'd think it would settle as it fills. The last few ounces take a few more seconds to settle because of the filler tube. I'm just helping it along.

Try it and all your gas lights will light.
    I usually just sit on the seat, and bounce the byke up and down. Let's the gas settle faster that way.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Default short filler neck

On my F3 I fill it sitting on the saddle and hold the EPA sleeve back so I can see into the tank. I fill it to the bottom of the filler ring. It's slow and sometimes messy, but if I just stick the nozzle in I only get 3/4 of a tank. It's my main gripe about the F3 design. Bouncing the bike as the tank gets full does allow air bubbles to escape and makes room for another half gallon or so of gas.

Spyder Garage

Default SITTING AND FILLING

Quote Originally Posted by CA Railwhale View Post
    On my F3 I fill it sitting on the saddle and hold the EPA sleeve back so I can see into the tank. I fill it to the bottom of the filler ring. It's slow and sometimes messy, but if I just stick the nozzle in I only get 3/4 of a tank. It's my main gripe about the F3 design. Bouncing the bike as the tank gets full does allow air bubbles to escape and makes room for another half gallon or so of gas.
    Something to consider , I had a FLAME OUT on a Spyder gas tank while filling ....... I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeally glad I wasn't sitting on it at the time ....... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shroth View Post
    sarcasm_font.jpg

If it did: I'd have several versions of it available at all times!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    sarcasm_font.jpg

If it did: I'd have several versions of it available at all times!
    It is. Font size 5 or higher. Bold and add a noticeable color.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Got it!