Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Progress Report: 700 Mile Mark - It's True!

Well, I'm finally over the 700 mile mark on my odometer (actually broke 800 today....), and I've found that what many on these forums have said is absolutely true. At about this point, I'm feeling much more confident and less nervous on my F3-T that I did earlier on. In fact, I have to work at resisting over-confidence at this point.

Ryding on the same roads I have been earlier, I find that I'm taking curves much faster than I did before.

I have a few questions though.....

1. What do you guys do to prevent or reduce your right hand falling asleep? Mine falls asleep about 20 minutes into a ride - almost every time.

2. Related to that, how long do you guys usually ride for (time-wise, not miles) before taking a break? By "break", I mean getting off the Spyder and stretching the legs a bit?

Finally got on the Interstate today too (for the first time), but for only 2 miles or so. Not my favorite type of riding.....

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default Check it out

Look up cramp buster I use one and like it a lot

Prefer scenic routes, stay off the interstate unless I absolutely have to

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Well, I'm finally over the 700 mile mark on my odometer (actually broke 800 today....), and I've found that what many on these forums have said is absolutely true. At about this point, I'm feeling much more confident and less nervous on my F3-T that I did earlier on. In fact, I have to work at resisting over-confidence at this point.

Ryding on the same roads I have been earlier, I find that I'm taking curves much faster than I did before.

I have a few questions though.....

1. What do you guys do to prevent or reduce your right hand falling asleep? Mine falls asleep about 20 minutes into a ride - almost every time.

2. Related to that, how long do you guys usually ride for (time-wise, not miles) before taking a break? By "break", I mean getting off the Spyder and stretching the legs a bit?

Finally got on the Interstate today too (for the first time), but for only 2 miles or so. Not my favorite type of riding.....

Thanks!
    Last edited by Chasinsparks; 07-23-2017 at 11:14 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default There you go....

sounds like you are enjoying the whole learning experience. You can try getting the foam grips that slip over your stock ones to help with the sleeping hand and it may get better with time especially if you loosen your grip. Everyone will have different ryding styles, seat times, mileages etc. I ususally ryde till I need gas then take a break This would be about 2.5 to 3 hours if traveling. Back roads with lots of fun hills twisties etc usually about an hour and then find a nice vista point. This is if I am with the wife alone I will go forever if the gas did not run out..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I utilize the cruise control a LOT even if only for 20 seconds at a time. It gives my right hand an opportunity to relax, stretch, etc. Even on residential roads, the cruise control for a brief time is great.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    Look up cramp buster I use one and like it a lot

Prefer scenic routes, stay off the interstate unless I absolutely have to
    Regarding the cramp buster - it doesn't seem conducive to changing speeds frequently. I'm not sure how practical it would be for riding on state and county roads in rural areas. Seems to be meant more for Interstates, no?

But maybe, I'm completely wrong about it?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    I utilize the cruise control a LOT even if only for 20 seconds at a time. It gives my right hand an opportunity to relax, stretch, etc. Even on residential roads, the cruise control for a brief time is great.
    I agree I use the cruise control on short/long trips. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Regarding the cramp buster - it doesn't seem conducive to changing speeds frequently. I'm not sure how practical it would be for riding on state and county roads in rural areas. Seems to be meant more for Interstates, no?

I use a cramp-buster, and only ride on back roads; as twisted as I can find. I have arthritis and have no choice but to use one. A cramp-buster works well when having to constantly change speeds; unlike a cruise control, which locks the throttle to a specific speed.

Cramp-buster simply allows you to use your wrist more to turn the throttle. Once you get used to it, which will happen instantly, you will not have any trouble with constantly changing your throttle.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Default Fitness

Riding a motorcycle is a sport. There is a set of muscles you are using that you had not before. To that end, get a tennis ball, and squeeze it while watching tv. Both hands. Lots of stretching exercises, and squats and wall sits for the buns. With practice, you can go a full tank, gas up, walk around, stretch, and ride more. Just like you have to do to get ready for ski season, or swimming, or hiking. That, and practice. Practice riding, turning, swerving, emergency braking, and backing up. Look how far you have come in 800 miles! Add a zero, and then see. Add two, and you will look back and see! Enjoy!!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...Just try relaxing your grip, and see if that helps!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

No Newbert, you're not completely wrong!

With a the right sized cramp buster fitted you can use the heel of your palm instead of your fingers to control the when & how much throttle twisting stuff you do at virtually any time, & that means your hand can be more relaxed all the time & that you can move your fingers at will without necessarily changing the throttle setting. All of which adds up to greater means of control, a more relaxed throttle hand, & more flexibility in how long your hand needs to stay in any one position/hold any one grip, so thst you can avoid that 'hand going to sleep' issue!

There are many Spyder Ryders here with hand & wrist issues of varying degrees as well as ryding styles & practices of all types, but I still reckon I'd be safe to go so far as to say that EVERYONE who uses a cramp buster gets some degree of relief from it in any &/or all of their throttle use, including in those less open state & county roads you are concerned about & even on tight hilly & twisty roads with lots of need for constant throttle variations! I know that with my right hand (that has a prosthetic thumb joint, damaged nerves & tendons throughout the rest of my hand, & a severely compromised wrist) I still have absolutely NO issues using the cramp buster equipped throttle in any circumstances while ryding, & I have been known to tackle the twisties & back roads that need frequent & constant throttle adjustments with much gusto, speed, & enjoyment (much to the chagrin of many sports bike riders & wannabee racers! ) simply cos the cramp buster makes it all easy & possible!

But also, like many others have mentioned they do, on some days I too have been known to use the cruise control at every opportunity, be it out on the open road, in congested city ryding, & frequently even in the twisties (set it to your chosen max speed & then use dabbing the brakes or changing gears to cut it off before a corner & then just flick the resume button to use the cruise setting to accelerate out & down the next straight, however short it might be! ) And the cruise control is a real joy on the many loooong straight roads we have here in Aust too!

You just gotta think a little outside the box, & try to work out how best to use the tools & controls you have plus any mods you can readily make/apply to make the best of or improve your ryding enjoyment!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Cruise Control helps a lot, now that you're past your break in period use it more. Open and stretch your hand right after applying it, it helps big time.

2016 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    No Newbert, you're not completely wrong!

With a the right sized cramp buster fitted you can use the heel of your palm instead of your fingers to control the when & how much throttle twisting stuff you do at virtually any time, & that means your hand can be more relaxed all the time & that you can move your fingers at will without necessarily changing the throttle setting. All of which adds up to greater means of control, a more relaxed throttle hand, & more flexibility in how long your hand needs to stay in any one position/hold any one grip, so thst you can avoid that 'hand going to sleep' issue!

There are many Spyder Ryders here with hand & wrist issues of varying degrees as well as ryding styles & practices of all types, but I still reckon I'd be safe to go so far as to say that EVERYONE who uses a cramp buster gets some degree of relief from it in any &/or all of their throttle use, including in those less open state & county roads you are concerned about & even on tight hilly & twisty roads with lots of need for constant throttle variations! I know that with my right hand (that has a prosthetic thumb joint, damaged nerves & tendons throughout the rest of my hand, & a severely compromised wrist) I still have absolutely NO issues using the cramp buster equipped throttle in any circumstances while ryding, & I have been known to tackle the twisties & back roads that need frequent & constant throttle adjustments with much gusto, speed, & enjoyment (much to the chagrin of many sports bike riders & wannabee racers! ) simply cos the cramp buster makes it all easy & possible!

But also, like many others have mentioned they do, on some days I too have been known to use the cruise control at every opportunity, be it out on the open road, in congested city ryding, & frequently even in the twisties (set it to your chosen max speed & then use dabbing the brakes or changing gears to cut it off before a corner & then just flick the resume button to use the cruise setting to accelerate out & down the next straight, however short it might be! ) And the cruise control is a real joy on the many loooong straight roads we have here in Aust too!

You just gotta think a little outside the box, & try to work out how best to use the tools & controls you have plus any mods you can readily make/apply to make the best of or improve your ryding enjoyment!
    Peter. Thanks for the detailed reply relating your experiences. I think that I might give this a try. I see that the crampbuster comes in 2 different size diameters (at least that's how it seems on Amazon....). Do you know which diameter is correct for the F3-T?

Thanks again!

Spyder Garage

..... Do you know which diameter is correct for the F3-T?

Thanks again!
    Sorry, one of the local dealers had a bin full of them by their door, & I just played 'try it & see' until I found one that fitted on my RT hand grip in a way I liked....

I think there were actually 5 different sizes, and about 3 of those would fit my 2013 RT, but with varying degrees of tension on the stock grip. No matter tho, cos they were made of 'poly something', basically flexxy placcy stuff, so that even with one that was 3 sizes too small, the bit that went around the grip still flexed out enough for it to go on & work, it just grabbed the rubber of the OE grip tighter & looked like it might wear a groove in it over time. Going too big might be an issue, the cramp buster won't hold the grip securely & so won't work, but I don't think going too small would really be a problem! But if you are really concerned, I reckon a bit of heat from a hair dryer or heat gun would solve any 'too tight' issues in about 5 seconds! They were bloody cheap when/where I got mine, I think about 20 cents each, altho maybe the dealer was just selling old 'loose stock' so he could put up a new 'card rack' or something on the counter to grab those 'impulse buys'! With that in mind, it might be easier just to visit your nearest bike shop, or anywhere that sells motorcycle clothing & accessories - if you go on-line I suspect you'll pay more for delivery or postage on one of these than 10 of them would cost, & they seem to be a cheap 'change grabber' in just about every bike shop I've ever been in?!

Edit: I just took mine off the RT, & I reckon it's about 30-32mm dia. If you must go on-line, try searching 'Universal Throttle Assist Wrist Rest'.

image.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-23-2017 at 10:37 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FWIW, Just got a crampbuster and tried it on a 100 mile ride. It worked great. That was my longest ride to date, by far, and I had no issues to speak off with regard to hand discomfort.

Thanks guys!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now you can REALLY start piling on the miles!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Active Member CarolinaSpyderRyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I usually ride until I need fuel, or my passenger asks me to stop and take a break. usually 2 and a half to 3 hours.
    2014 RSS , Sunburst Yellow and Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

The foam grips do help, add in the cramp buster as well. It gets better. I think Lamont or Spyderpops has the grips. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    I use the cruise control as well. I find when I can't due to traffic or whatever, I suffer from the same sleeping hand syndrome. Using the cruise with short periods of manual throttle control, I do not have any hand issues. We typically got for about an hour to 1.5 hours and then we take a break to stretch our legs.
    Regards,
    BitSlayer

2015 Spyder RT Limited - Perl White
    - Having fun with my knees in the breeze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Exactly !!!
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    In the past, advice I was given was to relax my grip and my shoulders too. Was good advice.

Spyder Garage

Even relaxed my right hand and forearm go numb.... it's a nerve in my elbow... I need to see a chiropractor about it and hope it can get fixed there. .. not too wild about surgery. Cruise is a god-send...
    Last edited by jwulf74; 08-22-2017 at 11:14 AM.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

As many have said--it does get easier with miles in the saddle.

On my GS/RS models--I used a crampbuster. Have no issues with hand numbing after 20 minutes on the RT's. It might be something as easy as loosen the grip--suggested by others.

Ride/rest: It is going to depend a lot on you. When I had hip issues, I had to get off every 50 miles or so. No problem in AK--plenty of good stuff to look at. We now ride 100 + miles or fill the tanks--whichever mood suits us. Happily--riding in pain is no longer a part of my daily riding equation.

Riding the freeways not an issue. If you use cruise--be extra alert--don't let it be a cause of an accident.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red