Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Lost Front Sprocket.....AGAIN!

Left on the side of the road today. By my 2015 F3s Spyder but not my riding buddies. I lost the front sprocket again. Less than a year after the first replacement and with only 7,300 miles. At least the first one made it for 8700 miles. REALLY hope this is not a trend @BRPCARES because I love my Spyder. Anyone else on their second or heaven forbid third front sprocket. Just like the first sprocket the bolt is tight. Did not take it to the point of loosening but was approaching torque spec. There has to be a reason. Rear bearings? misalignment between output shaft and rear sprocket? Transmission? There is no reason replacing the front sprocket should be considered a maintenance item. So I know of one other here in Florida on their second front sprocket, anyone else?

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...😠

Don't remember what exactly you are loosing. Is it the sproket splines, output splines or the sprocket teeth..?? If the bolt is to spec/torque it is not flying off. or is it.? Interesting 🤔 let us know how this turns out...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zuni View Post
    Left on the side of the road today. By my 2015 F3s Spyder but not my riding buddies. I lost the front sprocket again. Less than a year after the first replacement and with only 7,300 miles. At least the first one made it for 8700 miles. REALLY hope this is not a trend @BRPCARES because I love my Spyder. Anyone else on their second or heaven forbid third front sprocket. Just like the first sprocket the bolt is tight. Did not take it to the point of loosening but was approaching torque spec. There has to be a reason. Rear bearings? misalignment between output shaft and rear sprocket? Transmission? There is no reason replacing the front sprocket should be considered a maintenance item. So I know of one other here in Florida on their second front sprocket, anyone else?

CJ JAX
    How is the belt vibration? Wondering if that might have something to do with it. When I first got my 17' Daytona the belt vibration was terrible. In the same month I purchased the byke, BRP came out with their idler kit. I put that on and it immediately helped a great deal. As most of the members know, we then created our Vibration Damper and I started testing it on the Daytona. That now is a little over 10k miles ago, (9k on our unit and 1k on BRP's) and I have yet to see the reddish coating around the front sprocket. And if it is a lb to torque issue that is causing this then it should have happened to me. I occasionally will spin my rear tire, drift occasionally, and I am not a little person. Those of you that know me will also agree that is so. So, if is not a torque issue, then could it be a vibration issue?
    Interested to know if you were running a vibration damper either the first time or now and at what tension you were keeping the belt at?
    When I replaced my rear tire (spinning a bit) at 9k I reduced my belt tension to about 90 lbs off the ground. This gives me about 160 lbs with the wheel on the ground.

Hope you figure out what is going on.

Bottom line is that if we find it is vibration causing this we are going to be selling a lot of the Vibration Dampers........

Spyder Garage

Default 2nd

i'm on my 2nd front sprocket on my 2015 F3, and hopefully my last.... i had mine replaced at <17,000 miles.... i now have 41,000+ and hope there are no more replacements in my future... when mine was replaced, i was told that the new sprocket had a different Part Number, and that BRP was aware of this issue... i hope you get yours fix pronto, and get back on the road....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

I was hoping that the August replacement was the last as well. It was the new sprocket. Glad to see you have gotten a good amount of miles on your replacement.

CJ JAX

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    i'm on my 2nd front sprocket on my 2015 F3, and hopefully my last.... i had mine replaced at <17,000 miles.... i now have 41,000+ and hope there are no more replacements in my future... when mine was replaced, i was told that the new sprocket had a different Part Number, and that BRP was aware of this issue... i hope you get yours fix pronto, and get back on the road....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Belt vibration was one of the things I wondered about the first time around as well. This time I had a damper that was installed shortly after the sprocket failure. Belt vibration was almost non-existent. After seeing the BRP style damper failures I have been keeping a close eye on mine but so far it is holding up well with about 7k miles on it. Can't say for sure about the belt tension but it is BRP spec as I know Kenny wouldn't do otherwise.

CJ JAX

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    How is the belt vibration? Wondering if that might have something to do with it. When I first got my 17' Daytona the belt vibration was terrible. In the same month I purchased the byke, BRP came out with their idler kit. I put that on and it immediately helped a great deal. As most of the members know, we then created our Vibration Damper and I started testing it on the Daytona. That now is a little over 10k miles ago, (9k on our unit and 1k on BRP's) and I have yet to see the reddish coating around the front sprocket. And if it is a lb to torque issue that is causing this then it should have happened to me. I occasionally will spin my rear tire, drift occasionally, and I am not a little person. Those of you that know me will also agree that is so. So, if is not a torque issue, then could it be a vibration issue?
    Interested to know if you were running a vibration damper either the first time or now and at what tension you were keeping the belt at?
    When I replaced my rear tire (spinning a bit) at 9k I reduced my belt tension to about 90 lbs off the ground. This gives me about 160 lbs with the wheel on the ground.

Hope you figure out what is going on.

Bottom line is that if we find it is vibration causing this we are going to be selling a lot of the Vibration Dampers........

Spyder Garage

The splines on the sprocket have sheared off. The first time it failed I was pulling out of my subdivision and not in real traffic. Today was a different experience as I was in the fast lane two or three back at a stop light. When the light changed everything started moving and everyone was in a hurry to get to the I95 ramp. Well everyone but me anyway. Almost got rear ended . Then of course trying to move off the road was a challenge because everyone wanted to pass the hold up being me . Finally was able to get off the six lanes of hell and into a parking lot. One of the first lines of thought on the failure is that the bolt was not torqued and it allowed the sprocket to wallow on the output shaft and wear the splines. I can't speak for the failures others have experienced but in both of my cases the bolt was tight. REALLY glad it didn't happen on the ramp to the Interstate. BRP took care of it the last time and I fully expect they will do fine by me with this one as well. Between the Jacskonville Powersports and Central Florida Powersports teams I was back on the road in short order the first time. This one might get a bit more investigation.

CJ JAX

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Don't remember what exactly you are loosing. Is it the sproket splines, output splines or the sprocket teeth..?? If the bolt is to spec/torque it is not flying off. or is it.? Interesting 🤔 let us know how this turns out...

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We have a guy here in Vegas with a 2015 F3 lost the third front sprocket. Now the dealer is changing the output shaft.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FRONT SPROCKET

#1... are they using any lok-tite on the bolt .....#2.... how about a lok-washer #3.... imho the BRP tension specs for the drive belt are too high, I remember when BRP guessed wrong on the tension before and there were a lot of main bearing failures ( engine shaft ).... this really shouldn't be happening ......... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it...

Could it be they should have changed both parts..? If the splines stripped seems the output shaft splines may have suffered as well.. hope they consider that...

The splines on the sprocket have sheared off. The first time it failed I was pulling out of my subdivision and not in real traffic. Today was a different experience as I was in the fast lane two or three back at a stop light. When the light changed everything started moving and everyone was in a hurry to get to the I95 ramp. Well everyone but me anyway. Almost got rear ended . Then of course trying to move off the road was a challenge because everyone wanted to pass the hold up being me . Finally was able to get off the six lanes of hell and into a parking lot. One of the first lines of thought on the failure is that the bolt was not torqued and it allowed the sprocket to wallow on the output shaft and wear the splines. I can't speak for the failures others have experienced but in both of my cases the bolt was tight. REALLY glad it didn't happen on the ramp to the Interstate. BRP took care of it the last time and I fully expect they will do fine by me with this one as well. Between the Jacskonville Powersports and Central Florida Powersports teams I was back on the road in short order the first time. This one might get a bit more investigation.

CJ JAX
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Sprocket Problems

I have a 2015 F3-S and my bike is in for the third time because of a sprocket problem. First time they replaced the sprocket and clutch (I have an se6), then the bolt holding the sprocket came loose and so that destroyed another sprocket and they were told by BRP to use lock tight when putting it back together. Now it's back again and the sprocket needs replacing and this time the shaft is no good and that has to be replaced also. Of course, finding a good dealer and tech is about the same odds as winning powerball, so when they were putting my bike back together they broke my water pump, so had to wait another week for that. Once that came in, they now say the rotation sensor on the shaft is no good. Have to wait another week for that to come in and see what happens. I do not have belt tensioner and don't really experience much vibration. The first time it went out was around 17,000 miles, next time it was around 23,000 and now again, at 31,000. I would like to get another 17,000 before my bike has to go back to the shop and sit there for another 4-7 weeks.

Spyder Garage

finding a good dealer and tech is about the same odds as winning powerball, so when they were putting my bike back together they broke my water pump, so had to wait another week for < ----- I will throw in a buck for your powerball ticket ! { are the F-3s that hard on the engines ? or jusdt one of the gimps that b-r-p is working through ? }

Spyder Garage

Not sure why you are asking about the loctite or lock washer. In neither case did the bolt come loose. Don't know about the belt tension. If dealers are even for the most part following the spec then it would seem there would be a lot more failures. Hmmm..... unless the belt itself is the culprit. If the replacements were made with he newer sprocket and still failing maybe the belt is the issue since it is only effect a limited number it seems. Something that causes more flex?

CJ JAX

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    #1... are they using any lok-tite on the bolt .....#2.... how about a lok-washer #3.... imho the BRP tension specs for the drive belt are too high, I remember when BRP guessed wrong on the tension before and there were a lot of main bearing failures ( engine shaft ).... this really shouldn't be happening ......... Mike

Spyder Garage

Ouch. My first was at 8,700 and second at 16097. Would really like to see it fixed this time and not be a trend. I am lucky that we have an excellent tech (Kenny Butler at Central Florida PowerSports), and probably one of the few that has owned multiple Spyder models and is a full time ryder. He was a friend before deciding to make the move and become Spyder certified and I know he treats all the bikes he works on as if there were his own. The shaft was my concern previously so Kenny did a full inspection, mic'ed it and compared play with the new sprocket on my shaft and a new shaft. He also verified that the replacement sprocket was the newer version. Made me feel much better at the time but now concerns me because it doesn't seem like it should have failed again.

CJ JAX

Quote Originally Posted by vegas01 View Post
    I have a 2015 F3-S and my bike is in for the third time because of a sprocket problem. First time they replaced the sprocket and clutch (I have an se6), then the bolt holding the sprocket came loose and so that destroyed another sprocket and they were told by BRP to use lock tight when putting it back together. Now it's back again and the sprocket needs replacing and this time the shaft is no good and that has to be replaced also. Of course, finding a good dealer and tech is about the same odds as winning powerball, so when they were putting my bike back together they broke my water pump, so had to wait another week for that. Once that came in, they now say the rotation sensor on the shaft is no good. Have to wait another week for that to come in and see what happens. I do not have belt tensioner and don't really experience much vibration. The first time it went out was around 17,000 miles, next time it was around 23,000 and now again, at 31,000. I would like to get another 17,000 before my bike has to go back to the shop and sit there for another 4-7 weeks.

Spyder Garage

I'll keep my fingers crossed for winning numbers. Reading back through the various reports, the F3 is not the only model suffering this issue. It is happening on both 998 and 1330 engines. I have only heard of one RT so I am not sure of the commonality. The belt is different between the F3 and the RT models but I am not sure how it compares to the other models that have had sprocket failures. I love my Spyder and the support I have received from BRP up to this point but we are getting to the point where we want to start traveling more and I am starting to develop a trust issue. The engineer in me hates throwing parts at problems "Hoping" that takes care of it. Time will tell.

CJ JAX

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    finding a good dealer and tech is about the same odds as winning powerball, so when they were putting my bike back together they broke my water pump, so had to wait another week for < ----- I will throw in a buck for your powerball ticket ! { are the F-3s that hard on the engines ? or jusdt one of the gimps that b-r-p is working through ? }

Spyder Garage

I wondered that as well but a through exam was done. A new sprocket was put on mine and the play was measured and compared with the play putting the sprocket on a brand new unit.

CJ JAX

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Could it be they should have changed both parts..? If the splines stripped seems the output shaft splines may have suffered as well.. hope they consider that...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

sounds like they need to revamp the output shafts and sprockets with a heavier spline orientation and also key the two. hasn't happened to my bike and I don't have a dog in this hunt but between this issue and their stupid security system failures on the 14's+, they need to redesign the mechanical issue and get rid of the electronic issue.
    Last edited by quasi; 07-23-2017 at 08:46 AM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MY ANSWER IN RESPONSE WAS BECAUSE

Not sure why you are asking about the loctite or lock washer. In neither case did the bolt come loose. Don't know about the belt tension. If dealers are even for the most part following the spec then it would seem there would be a lot more failures. Hmmm..... unless the belt itself is the culprit. If the replacements were made with he newer sprocket and still failing maybe the belt is the issue since it is only effect a limited number it seems. Something that causes more flex?

CJ JAX
    Your Post #1... quote " I lost my Front Sprocket AGAIN " , sorry I didn't understand that !!!! ...... Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ouch. My first was at 8,700 and second at 16097. Would really like to see it fixed this time and not be a trend. I am lucky that we have an excellent tech (Kenny Butler at Central Florida PowerSports), and probably one of the few that has owned multiple Spyder models and is a full time ryder. He was a friend before deciding to make the move and become Spyder certified and I know he treats all the bikes he works on as if there were his own. The shaft was my concern previously so Kenny did a full inspection, mic'ed it and compared play with the new sprocket on my shaft and a new shaft. He also verified that the replacement sprocket was the newer version. Made me feel much better at the time but now concerns me because it doesn't seem like it should have failed again.

CJ JAX
    You're lucky if you have Kenny working on your bike. MY dealership sucks and they admit they don't like the spyders. They gave me an F3L to use this week and that is only because it's their demo and they have to sell it soon but it only had 52 miles on it and they've had it since the beginning of the year. I hope your bike gets squared away this time. I know it makes me very leery to take super long trips because I don't want to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere.

Spyder Garage

CJ JAX
    Hi CJ JAX and everyone,

We are sorry for you concerns in regards to the sprockets on your Spyders. If you'd like to provide more information, please send us your VIN, name and contact of service dealer and detailed information to brp.care@brp.com. We'll be happy to see what we can do for you though there.

Cheers,

Sandra
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vegas01 View Post
    You're lucky if you have Kenny working on your bike. MY dealership sucks and they admit they don't like the spyders. They gave me an F3L to use this week and that is only because it's their demo and they have to sell it soon but it only had 52 miles on it and they've had it since the beginning of the year. I hope your bike gets squared away this time. I know it makes me very leery to take super long trips because I don't want to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere.
    Could this be an upgrade?
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Great Dealer Support CFPS

Hi Sandra,Nice to see that BRP Cares monitors the board. I have sent the info as requested but I already know that the Central Florida PowerSports Team will be putting forth best possible effort. I mean how many times have you heard of a dealership GM contacting you about an issue while he is on vacation. Jason makes sure that his customers know that quality service and support continues after the sale.CJ JAXChristopher Banas
    Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi CJ JAX and everyone,We are sorry for you concerns in regards to the sprockets on your Spyders. If you'd like to provide more information, please send us your VIN, name and contact of service dealer and detailed information to brp.care@brp.com. We'll be happy to see what we can do for you though there.Cheers,Sandra

Spyder Garage

What transmissions types are we talking about, SE or SM or both?
    SpYderman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fencepost View Post
    What transmissions types are we talking about, SE or SM or both?
    Mine is an SE. I'm curious how close the serial numbers are for the Spyders having issues.

CJ Jax

Spyder Garage

Did you look between the couch cushions?
    2019 Rally , Black