Thread: Lost side cover

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Lost side cover

On a short ride this afternoon, the engine cover on my wife's 2011 RT blew off on the freeway. By the time we managed to get stopped and walk back, it had been ran over and destroyed. Now for my question. What are my options for getting a replacement?
    My wife's color is Vegas pearl white. Is there a site for people selling parts after a wreck? Thanks in advance.
    Joe in Modestl

Spyder Garage

If you are lucky you may find a used part. Otherwise you will need to buy the individual pieces that make up the cover. In total it will come close to $300. I assume you are talking about the left or right service covers that have the large chrome CAN AM lettering on them. Which is it, left or right? When I lost mine, the large chrome CAN AM letters were $80 a pair and were only sold in pairs. I still have the right side one. I'll make you a deal on it if you need it.
    Last edited by Grandpot; 07-22-2017 at 05:08 PM.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We lost the left side. It is the lower cover just in front of the drivers shin.
    Joe in Modesto

Spyder Garage

That sounds like the one where you check the oil level. That's the one I lost. Good luck, it could get expensive.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Try something like this in the future. 20160224_102559.jpg Works well for me. Have not lost a panel yet.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default rubber washers for side panel.

both my small access panels blew off. I was lucky enough to find them (with a few minor scratches). The Rubber grommets that hold them either broke or were ripped out of the bike. Check to ensure the grommets are there.

Michael
    W5MWI

USN Vet - RM1
    Member: VFW & American Legion

2020 Spyder RT-L - Jupiter Metallic Blue Chrome

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Today, oldguyinCT

I like that idea. In fact, I do something similar on my Goldwing. I don't know why I didn't think to do this on wife's Canam.
    Joe in Modesto

Spyder Garage

I replaced the little placcy hook on the top trailing edge on both of those side panels with DZUS fasteners, cos those little placcy hooks are critical to keeping the whole panel on, if they aren't hooked the press fit grommet things are more likely to come apart, & the hooks are particularly fragile as well as difficult to get & keep properly engaged!!

All it took to put the DZUS fasteners on was a sharp knife to shave off the placcy hook, then fit the panel in place & gently drill an appropriate sized hole thru the top panel & the panel underneath before sliding the lower receiver/clip onto the panel underneath & pushing the DZUS pin thru the hole on the top panel. There's a washer to hold the DZUS pin in place from there on in, & it's a positive locking 'push, turn, & lock' action that ensures your panel is NEVER again coming off unless you want it to!! Check out the pic (the panel might not look square in the pic but that's only due to the angle I took the pic on, it's actually got even spacing all around & fits perfectly!)

image.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-22-2017 at 10:02 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Stop losing side covers

I went to my friendly dealer and he gave me two of the panel screws./ Then I went to my auto parts store and purchased two "spire/captive" nuts with the appropriate thread.

Drill a hole in the panel then through the lower piece. Fit the spire nut to the lower panel. Replace the side panel and insert the screw. No more losses.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    All it took to put the DZUS fasteners on was a sharp knife to shave off the placcy hook, then fit the panel in place & gently drill an appropriate sized hole thru the top panel & the panel underneath before sliding the lower receiver/clip onto the panel underneath & pushing the DZUS pin thru the hole on the top panel. There's a washer to hold the DZUS pin in place from there on in, & it's a positive locking 'push, turn, & lock' action that ensures your panel is NEVER again coming off unless you want it to!! Check out the pic (the panel might not look square in the pic but that's only due to the angle I took the pic on, it's actually got even spacing all around & fits perfectly!)

image.jpg
    What length DZUS fasteners did you use ?

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Try something like this in the future. 20160224_102559.jpg Works well for me. Have not lost a panel yet.
    Just installed a wire leader on my RTS used screw that holds emblem on
    2016 Spyder rt-s se6 White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    What length DZUS fasteners did you use ?.....
    I dunno?!?

Does this help?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I dunno?!?

Does this help?
    It does :-)
    Thanks Peter.

Spyder Garage

Default Side panels

I drilled a small hole and installed a small bunji cord to it. Then wrap it around the frame so it has constant pulling tension on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images