Spyder Garage

Default Two up riding Machine?

Greetings,
    Can a spyder F3 endure 500+ miles at 80mph (average) two up riding? I like to ride fast is the F3 the best bike for the job?
    Last edited by Teddargan; 07-18-2017 at 09:15 AM.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Nope

The limit is 495 miles, at that point the F3 will self destruct! Actually the RT would be best for 2 up. There is more passenger room, and more storage space. It will easily go 80 plus with two up!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

You will find you can go just about anywhere you want 2 up. My wife and I love our F3 and we ride to events, no trailer dragging here. Did it once and did not enjoy it. Bought this thing to ride it not carry it around on a trailer. Have fun.

Very Happy Spyder Guy
    The 2015 F3 has over 46,000 miles
    Have Spyder...Will Travel

Spyder Garage

Default For sure....

You will have to stop for fuel... and the question remains....are you both able to endure..? as mentioned above the comfort level would be the only point to ponder. That is why you only have the two choices...touring RT and cruising F3 so what will you be doing the most....?
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Only you can make the final determination about two up comfort. My experience does not cover the F3.

Comparing the GS/RS to the RT--there was a big difference. The RT is made for two up, the other's not specifically.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-18-2017 at 06:23 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're gonna have to let your Better-Half take a look at the RT's double-bucket touring seat.
    The F3 has nothing that can match up to it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Only your BUTT can tell.
    I really get sick and tired of people who don't even own a F3 continually keep saying how much better the RT is
    I had a RT put about 25000 my wife never really liked the ride. Along comes the F3 she loves it and picked the color!30,000 miles and still love it we also tow a Shadow trailer behind.
    You chose your BUTT your Money but you can listen to the same ole naysayers your choice.

Spyder Garage

We have a Russell Day Long on the F3. We average 500 miles a day when traveling. Wife loves her seat, she has endured 800 mile days also. If you set up your F3 it will tour quite comfortably.

Very Happy Spyder Guy
    The 2015 F3 has over 46,000 miles
    Have Spyder...Will Travel

Spyder Garage

Default I vote RT

Wife and I do 400+ miles once a month or so to visit the grand kid on our RT-S. We didn't see spending $1200 or so more for the GPS and chrome of the RT-LTD. Used that for a pull behind trailer. The seat on the RT IMHO is far more comfy for the wife. I'm fine on either, but as it's been said the rear seat is a bit different. Now you could spend $1200 on a custom seat for the F3, but why? For the long hauls the RT has more space, more passenger space and a comfy stock seat. We got the canvas bags for all the compartments off amazon, you'd be surprised how much you can pack in them for a trip. With the promotions going on, you could snap up a new RT for a decent price, especially if you can find a 2014/5 model on the floor somewhere. There are few RT's for sale on this site also. Those probably have some nice farkles already!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the information I appreciate it the insight!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABQSpyder View Post
    I really get sick and tired of people who don't even own a F3 continually keep saying how much better the RT is
    If you're referring to my comments: I never said that the RT was "better".
    I was only talking about the OEM seating.
    But you are correct: you need to listen to the ass that's gonna be plopped in the saddle!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Teddargan View Post
    Greetings,
    Can a spyder F3 endure 500+ miles at 80mph (average) two up riding? I like to ride fast is the F3 the best bike for the job?
    Which F3 model? The newer F3T and F3L have available rear trunks with backrests for the passenger. You can also add a backrest to the F3 and F3S. Armrests, too.

So the short answer is "YES" it can do the job. But it depends on what you and your passenger prefer.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABQSpyder View Post
    Only your BUTT can tell.
    I had a RT put about 25000 my wife never really liked the ride. Along comes the F3 she loves it and picked the color!30,000 miles and still love it we also tow a Shadow trailer behind.
    You chose your BUTT your Money but you can listen to the same ole naysayers your choice.
    And oh BTW, I own both! My comment was based on extensive experience, and based on that experience I believe that the RT is a superior 2 up machine. I have ridden the F3L for the last 17000 miles, and for me it is the Preferred Ryde! If, as the OP suggested, I was going to be ryding 2 up I would be on the RT.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

If you're a gambling man, buy the F3; otherwise test ride F3 and RT before you lay out the coin.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Greetings,
    Couple questions come into play. I have not owned an F3, only test ridden for just 20 miles of riding.

Your combined weight may play a factor as ( I believe, not certain) the shocks are different on an RTS

The F3 will definitely feel faster as you are in a different seating position than a stock RT for the driver. You must add some sort of highway peg to achieve more comfort for longer distances with an RT however many don't or haven't so they will dispute my expert advice , (odd for a touring machine)

The F3 will definitely feel more secure in fast turns as your butt is lower to the ground. However both models will be fast.
    My wife always tells me to slow down in the curvy mountain road turns, as she pokes me in the ribs (to her it is very fast, to me it is exhilarating)

For two up riding I only have the RT knowledge. I assume you are speaking about the F3 model with the passenger back rest

Also what type of ride are you coming from that you currently do or have done 500+ miles on? When your not doing 500 + riding will you be riding solo or? so many thing to consider

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    Couple questions come into play. I have not owned an F3, only test ridden for just 20 miles of riding.

Your combined weight may play a factor as ( I believe, not certain) the shocks are different on an RTS

The F3 will definitely feel faster as you are in a different seating position than a stock RT for the driver. You must add some sort of highway peg to achieve more comfort for longer distances with an RT however many don't or haven't so they will dispute my expert advice , (odd for a touring machine)

The F3 will definitely feel more secure in fast turns as your butt is lower to the ground. However both models will be fast.
    My wife always tells me to slow down in the curvy mountain road turns, as she pokes me in the ribs (to her it is very fast, to me it is exhilarating)

For two up riding I only have the RT knowledge. I assume you are speaking about the F3 model with the passenger back rest

Also what type of ride are you coming from that you currently do or have done 500+ miles on? When your not doing 500 + riding will you be riding solo or? so many thing to consider
    I have a Yamaha stratoliner which is a 1850cc bagger. When I'm riding with the guys I will exclusively be riding on that.. When it's time to do some two up riding I've decided to pick up a Spyder. Based on my reading on this forum, I think I will be most happy with the F3

Spyder Garage

I have a Yamaha stratoliner which is a 1850cc bagger. When I'm riding with the guys I will exclusively be riding on that.. When it's time to do some two up riding I've decided to pick up a Spyder. Based on my reading on this forum, I think I will be most happy with the F3
    You'll be happy, but you'll want to swap out the rear shock. But I've done that on every bike I've used for 2-up touring.

Spyder Garage

Here is where I have an issue for the F3-S rear shock options

FOX† FACTORY SERIES 2.0 PODIUM® RC2 REAR SHOCK
    $ 969.99

ADD THIS ACCESSORY

Provides an infinite range of options for the perfect set-up. Its anodized 6061-T6 aluminum body and remote aluminum reservoir make the lightweight PODIUM RC2 shock a reliable and awesome performer.

And there is this

FOX ADJUSTABLE REAR SHOCK
    $ 649.99

ADD THIS ACCESSORY

Fox Factory Series rear shock delivers an infinite range of set-up options. Anodized lightweight 6061-T6 aluminum body provides enhanced reliability and excellent performance.

Most problematic is this:

OCCASIONAL 2-UP REAR SHOCK
    $ 199.99

ADD THIS ACCESSORY

Weight-bearing capacity designed for occasional 2-up use.

So exactly what is right? Sounds like the F3-S or F3 isn't built for 2 up but can be made to work for occasional 2 up or more full time 2 up.
    2017 F3 Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Default test them both -- only you and your +1 know the answer

We started with an RTL and rode 2 up all the time. Then I switched to the F3S which I like a lot better to drive, and though we rarely ride 2 up on them other than when one or the other of us has service scheduled and we're dropping off/picking up, we have both commented that we find the F3 back seat with the backrest (the removable backrest) more comfortable to sit on than the RT seat. I do think that the RT seat is longer, so there was more air space between riders than we get when 2 up on the F3, but we were used to that with the motorcycles we had, so no biggy.

If one or the other of us became unable to drive their own, we'd be riding 2 up on an F3S.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Go with the Elka rear shock with the external hydraulic preload adjuster! Love it on my F3-S. I also installed them in the front, but you know your budget.

Spyder Garage

Ted,

One thing that hasn't been really covered on here is that, as PrarieSpyder said, there are very different models of F3. The F3-S is your real sports model, akin to a naked bike, while the F3-T and F3-Limited are more your touring cruisers with similar features to your Stratoliner. If you are going to do 500+ mile trips, two up, the F3-Limited, with bags, beefed up rear shock, better wind protection, top shelf OEM passenger backrest (option) etc etc, is probably your best bet, if you aren't going for an RT (Goldwing). When people talk about beefing up the rear F3 shock, they are usually talking about the F3-S as it only has an "occasional" two up shock, which is way too light (and constantly copping criticism). Unless you are carrying over 400lbs, there is no need to consider beefing up the F3-L shock.

Of course, the extra F3-Limited features also come with an additional price, but if you want some comfort levels for the back seat, it is well worth considering. It can go pretty fast, too

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Is there a difference between the 2106 F3T and the 2017 F3T, and a difference between the 2016 F3 Limited and the 2017 F3 Limited, other then the tour pack on the 2017 Limited? Can you 2 up on the either 2016 or 2017 F3T?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Take5 View Post
    Is there a difference between the 2106 F3T and the 2017 F3T, and a difference between the 2016 F3 Limited and the 2017 F3 Limited, other then the tour pack on the 2017 Limited? Can you 2 up on the either 2016 or 2017 F3T?
    The major difference between the 16 and 17 L is indeed the trunk, and yes, you can two up comfortably on either of them with the stock shock, unless you are over around 420lbs combined.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    And oh BTW, I own both! My comment was based on extensive experience, and based on that experience I believe that the RT is a superior 2 up machine. I have ridden the F3L for the last 17000 miles, and for me it is the Preferred Ryde! If, as the OP suggested, I was going to be ryding 2 up I would be on the RT.

Like Pirate looks at..., I also own both the RTL and F3T and agree with his comments.
    If I am riding solo and want to enjoy a exhilarating ride, I take the F3T. If the wife tags along, especially for a 2+ days
    ride, the RTL will be my choice.

Benggolf
    2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
    2016 Spyder F3T
    2014 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Honda 300 Forza

Spyder Garage

As to differences between the 2016 and 2017 F3 Limited, I believe you will find that the 2017 has electronic adjustable rear suspension whereas the 2016 was manually adjustable. Additionally, the 2017 has the integrated back rest and top case. The 2017 F3T comes with manually adjustable rear suspension, without the rear top case.

When it came time for us to make the choice between an RT Ltd and an F3 Ltd just a couple of months ago, there were several factors to consider. First, there were a number of 2016 left-overs available at very attractively reduced prices (several thousand $$ in savings available as against 2017 MSRP). However, it is extremely important to attempt some equivalency of features when comparing prices. Once you balance out the equipment, then the issue becomes more simply one of ergonomics, and the all important decision of simply choosing which feels better and more comfortable. We were looking for a primarily two-up ride, for short trips and possible over night, but no long distance plans in mind.

To my mind, the truest and only accurate comparison of features was between the RT Ltd (either year) and the 2017 F3 Ltd - mainly (i.e., first) because of the electronic rear suspension (passenger comfort), and secondly, the rear back rest and top case (passenger safety). That comparison, to my mind, seemed to even up the playing field (equipment) as much as possible. One shortfall on the F3 was lack of GPS as standard equipment; remedied by optional add-on. In terms of $$, the cost outlay for a new 2017 F3 Ltd was almost the same as a 2017 RT Ltd, given this 'equivalency' of equipment. Thereafter, it only took the Butt-Test try-out to decide. We went for the 2017 F3 Ltd, for very personal reasons in which, thankfully, we were unanimous. What you do is your decision; however, give your passenger the deciding vote if you differ. So far, we're delighted. Longest day trip to date: 300+ miles at highway speeds. It's still a relatively new bike, just getting broken in. We have wound it up to 75-80 mph a few times, with lots left on the throttle. But mostly we prefer the back road scenery and more sedate speeds. As retirees, there's no real need to hurry; tomorrow will be just as good as today.

You'll do fine whatever you decide; just choose smartly, and be aware of any 'differences' affecting your basis of comparison.
    Last edited by bushrat; 07-21-2017 at 10:39 PM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside