Spyder Garage

Default Hit a lump of asphalt - could this clunk be a Broken shock???

Forgive me if this has been covered but there are 1000's of threads on here.

I am a relatively new Spyder RT owner. I have a 2012 RT A/C I purchased in January 2017 that has only 6600 miles now. Biggest challenge thus far is dodging obstacles in the road given 3 tracks and little clearance between them. I rode motorcycles for decades and it was always fairly easy to swerve around things in my path. Not so with this tricycle.

Recently I came upon a 8" x 4" mound of asphalt in the center of the road. By the time I saw it I couldn't react. Anyhow, I hit this thing pretty hard square on the rear wheel. Clank/clunk!!! Now every time I hit a bump or pothole on the rear tire I get a metallic clunk in the rear. Otherwise it continues to ride smooth. I keep about 50-60 lbs in the airbag (no built-in pump). I can reproduce the sound if I grab the passenger handle and bounce the rear up and down.

Does this sound like I might have broken the shock? Is this condition urgent or can I continue to ride until my next regular service interval? I really don't want to leave it at the dealer for days if I don't have to.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Spyder Garage

Default Inspect

Look for leaks or oil. Ann broke one.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

May have blown out a seal in the shock. As said above, look for a leak on the shock.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CLUNK

Before we get into BIG fixes ............. Check how much Air pressure you have in your Rear Air bag ... the thing that helps support the rear suspension ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

I don't see any oil leaks and I can't see the shock without removing tupperware. The airbag has about 50psi. Only symptom is a loud metallic clank when the rear tire hits a bump at speed. Otherwise the suspension feels normal.

Spyder Garage

Default Broken shock???

How about a damaged Shock Bushing? The rubber piece that keeps the shock mounting from being metal on metal?

Spyder Garage

Default Rear Shock

I have a 2010 RTS and my rear shock went on me circa 4000mi. I did not hit anything, the just started feeling funny and making clanking noises. You could even move the back end of the bike side to side by hand. Took it to a dealer and he replaced the rear shock and have not had a bit of trouble since. He showed me the shock and it was completely broken and the arm was just moving around.

Michael
    W5MWI

USN Vet - RM1
    Member: VFW & American Legion

2020 Spyder RT-L - Jupiter Metallic Blue Chrome

Spyder Garage

how about shutting own the compressor, deflating the bag, an seeing if there is a rebound when you push on the rear end? Is that possible? If the rebound is not dampened your shock is blown. We have crappy roads here in upstate NY and I have blown out 2 shocks myself.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

I know that metallic sound well, been thru 2 on mine. One leaked, one did not.

2011 Spyder RT A&C SE5