Spyder Garage

Default Check Engine - - Limp Home Mode

Left the house this morning real early. I was going for a ryde with the NE Florida Spyder Ryders and then have breakfast as a group. I got about 5 miles from the house. When the check engine light came on and started flashing. Pretty soon the Limp Home Mode and the Check Engine both started flashing. I turned around and took the Spyder home and parked it. Jumped on my Harley Dyna Switchback and joined up with the Spyder group. We had a nice ryde and a wonderful breakfast together. Anyway when I got home I checked the engine oil level - it was ok. Removed the gas cap a little pressure escaped but it seems - ok as well. Spyder serviced by Dealer at 15,000 miles two months ago.
    So now I'm at the point that I'd like to check my 2014 RTL-SE6 (16,400 miles) for fault codes. I've never done this and would appreciate any help to accomplish the proper code procedure.

Thank you,

Richard
    2014 RTL-SE6 Cognac (Current Love)
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium Metallic (Pre Loved)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by A1A View Post
    Left the house this morning real early. I was going for a ryde with the NE Florida Spyder Ryders and then have breakfast as a group. I got about 5 miles from the house. When the check engine light came on and started flashing. Pretty soon the Limp Home Mode and the Check Engine both started flashing. I turned around and took the Spyder home and parked it. Jumped on my Harley Dyna Switchback and joined up with the Spyder group. We had a nice ryde and a wonderful breakfast together. Anyway when I got home I checked the engine oil level - it was ok. Removed the gas cap a little pressure escaped but it seems - ok as well. Spyder serviced by Dealer at 15,000 miles two months ago.
    So now I'm at the point that I'd like to check my 2014 RTL-SE6 (16,400 miles) for fault codes. I've never done this and would appreciate any help to accomplish the proper code procedure.

Thank you,

Richard

Hello from Fort Pierce. I have a 2014 RTS and the first time I got the Check Engine and Limp Home Mode I was only about 200 yards from work. I spun around and went back, pulled into the shop and started looking for the cause. After a bit I had found nothing obvious, oil, coolant, etc., so I restarted and was unable to get the lights back. Since I have a huge lot at work I started riding there and really hammering trying to get something to fail. After about 30 minutes of severe handling practice, which is something we all need to do once in a while, I still had no problems so I rode home and everything was fine. This has happened a couple of other times and I stopped, shut off the engine and restarted with no problems.

Since a quick 're-boot' cleared the lights and there were no performance issues I don't worry about it. Try the restart and if the lights stay off it was probably just a 'gremlin'. If a restart shows the same problem you'll likely need to have something fixed, otherwise I suspect something as simple as a pothole may have pissed off Nanny.

Max

Spyder Garage

Download the Spider codes app on your smartphone it's has all the codes and how to pull them

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stayfree View Post
    Hello from Fort Pierce. I have a 2014 RTS and the first time I got the Check Engine and Limp Home Mode I was only about 200 yards from work. I spun around and went back, pulled into the shop and started looking for the cause. After a bit I had found nothing obvious, oil, coolant, etc., so I restarted and was unable to get the lights back. Since I have a huge lot at work I started riding there and really hammering trying to get something to fail. After about 30 minutes of severe handling practice, which is something we all need to do once in a while, I still had no problems so I rode home and everything was fine. This has happened a couple of other times and I stopped, shut off the engine and restarted with no problems.

Since a quick 're-boot' cleared the lights and there were no performance issues I don't worry about it. Try the restart and if the lights stay off it was probably just a 'gremlin'. If a restart shows the same problem you'll likely need to have something fixed, otherwise I suspect something as simple as a pothole may have pissed off Nanny.

Max
    Thanks Max, Yes I started the engine 3 or 4 different times. But the Check Engine - Limp Home Mode still comes up. That's when I thought it would be easier just to check for the engine fault code.

Cheers

Richard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jtoro1 View Post
    Download the Spider codes app on your smartphone it's has all the codes and how to pull them
    Hi jtoro1,
    Thank you for your response my friend. But I still haven't joined the 21st century, I don't own a cell or smartphone. Just to old and set in my ways I guess.

Cheers

Richard

Spyder Garage

With the fault still active. Press the mode, set and turn cancel. All at the same time.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    With the fault still active. Press the mode, set and turn cancel. All at the same time.
    Thank you billybovine, I pulled up the Code P0340 - CamShaft Position Sensor Fault. So I guess its safe to ryde 10 miles in Limp Home Mode to the Dealer. I appreciate your response and the procedure to pull up the fault code.

Cheers

Richard